Is this what we are about?

What is wild camping?
We talk about car parks & lay by's, but this is surely not really wild camping!:eek:
I purchased my m/h about 3 years ago, with the intention of mainly wild camping. I have parked in car parks, French Aires, & small camp sites & very rarely real wild sites. But I don't really consider any of these except the latter to be wild.
I sometimes wonder if the dream is much better than reality & when park in a car park I always consider the local yobo:eek: element as I cannot afford to have a side panel kicked in or a beer can thrown at it.:eek:
If in Europe it is much easier :) & you can relax much more, but in the UK, is it really worth it.
What are your thoughts?

***** how u doin mate, plenty wild campin in the highland's come up and see,

Would love to

hillwalker said:
We would love to come up to the Highlands as Kath is Scottish, ;) however time is the problem:mad: :mad:

hillwalker said:
I toataly agree with Hilwalker on this one, out in the wild is to me is places where you rarely see a lot of people and in places like that you dont have to worry aobout your van but i must add that i do go to places where there are people but experience and gut instinct is what you need when you do.
If you worry to much you may as well be camping in your back garden.:rolleyes:

***** said:
We would love to come up to the Highlands as Kath is Scottish, ;) however time is the problem:mad: :mad:
well mate ull love it i promise,, that's how sure im am,,inn summer bring diver;s suit to get away from THE MIDGES ,as they dont they like water,,:D :D naw i ment a midgie net,but any way i guarantee u ll enjoy it ,comone get up here:cool:

wild camped first time last year in the highland wife and kids loved every minute going again this year hope to do more weekends.

I personally put details of layby's on here due to the fact I spent many, many years as a truck driver spending most of my time on nights out, most of which were spent in a layby or on an industrial estate so basically I give details of these out so that if anyone is pushed for somewhere to stay they could refer to these. That's my escuse anyway.

Lay by's

billy1000 said:
I personally put details of layby's on here due to the fact I spent many, many years as a truck driver spending most of my time on nights out, most of which were spent in a layby or on an industrial estate so basically I give details of these out so that if anyone is pushed for somewhere to stay they could refer to these. That's my escuse anyway.
Billy I am a truck driver witmany years of International driving behind me.
As we have spoke about this b4, I would never overnight in a lay by except in an emergency. They r the pits!!!!!:eek: :eek:

don't mind laybys as long as there's a verge between it and the road and there's plenty of room

I can see where you are coming from ***** but my view is that when driving a truck I objected to the extortionate prices they try to charge to park up so I used their facilities and grabbed some food there then drove to the nearest layby for a free nights kip.

billy1000 said:
I can see where you are coming from ***** but my view is that when driving a truck I objected to the extortionate prices they try to charge to park up so I used their facilities and grabbed some food there then drove to the nearest layby for a free nights kip.
Hi Billy.
I was fortunate as very very rarely had a night out in the Uk. I now deliver new trailers & I am home every night. I would not night out anymore in the UK

I night out every night now but in the comfort of a m/h as i'm retired and fulltiming. Still use a lot of layby stops thop because the m/h and trailer with car behind is about 40ft long so i'm a bit constricted on places I can actually get to.

Whats it all about

I agree with you garth,it is easy abroad and here can be a nightmare woken in middle of night to move on.Up north does seem easy than down south.My wife is from scotland, we try to go up each year it is beautifull.Just talking to mate will be hopefully going up in july,to isle of skye across five sisters to loch ness and around.They have never been thought mountains in france were good nothing untill they see what scotland offers.Be nice to live there,can only dream at moment.:)

***** said:
What is wild camping?
We talk about car parks & lay by's, but this is surely not really wild camping!:
I sometimes wonder if the dream is much better than reality

i think your dead right, whats so wild about spending time in a lay by.
i really can't think of anything more unappealing,
Scotland sounds good though just a long way for me living in Brighton

ps.
whats happening with the wildcamping sticker..........and will there be a meet sometime in the near future ?

I think we all know what wildcamping is, its just that we cannot do it all the time!

There are times when we all need to freecamp when travelling to far flung locations that take a couple of days to get there.

I'll bet some lay-bys are a real wild experience, even if they are unappealing!

I'll bet some lay-bys are a real wild experience, [/QUOTE]

think you might be right there :D

maybe there not so bad ;)

72van said:
I'll bet some lay-bys are a real wild experience,

think you might be right there :D

maybe there not so bad ;)[/QUOTE]
I PREFER TO CAMP IN A LAYBY, OR A FORRESTRY COMM. ROAD ,WELL OF THE MAIN ROADS ,SO UR NOT ATTRACTIN ATTENTION, U CAN NEVER BE TO CAREFUL:eek: :eek: SOME LAYBY' ARE VERY DODGY..:rolleyes:

We've only ever freecamped in a lay-by once and that was when journeying from Yorkshire to South West Wales.

We stopped in a massive lay-by with no facilities, in the middle of nowhere (Brecon), with a strip of land between the lay-by and the road and it was 01:00!

We only stopped as I was exhausted and SWMBO won't drive the camper (esp with the A-frame on).

wild lay bys

i was parked up in a great " picnic "layby. on the shores of that wee loch, the one just before you come into Crainlaroch from the east. you can build a fire at the side of the loch to cook by. fire just at perfect stage for cooking when a white transit arrived and about 10 guys poured out with sleeping bags and large plastic bottles of cider. o.k. , everyone to their own and they very politely asked me to join them for a " wee bevy". i declined the offer but gave them my fire before moving on for a few miles to build another fire. I did wonder if i,d missed a really good night.i've been back to that crainlaroch site since and it's excellent but the moto is friendlyness usually pays off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back