Is Scotland>Ireland>France a viable trip.

Have you been to Shetland and Orkney? Be right up your alley I would imagine. You can do Orkney on the way back from Shetland. Not much there mind. Orkney was pleasantly full of attractive young blondes. Something to do with all the Scandinavian whalers I suspect in years gone by.
There is , supposedly , a strong Spanish influence as well .

Have you been to Shetland and Orkney? Be right up your alley I would imagine. You can do Orkney on the way back from Shetland. Not much there mind. Orkney was pleasantly full of attractive young blondes. Something to do with all the Scandinavian whalers I suspect in years gone by.
We did look at it but the juice didn't seem to be worth the squeeze from what we saw online and we were both working so we couldn't afford the time really, we did do Lewis and Harris but we're not that keen.

We did look at it but the juice didn't seem to be worth the squeeze from what we saw online and we were both working so we couldn't afford the time really, we did do Lewis and Harris but we're not that keen.

Yeah I know what you mean. Bit barren those islands and Orkney and Shetland are the same. Some people love that, I wasn't mad keen either but enjoyed the trips all the same. Some fab beaches and a spectacular plane ride to the external Orkney islands was a complete hoot! We did 18 Scottish islands on boys trips before I got Hank 1 in VW campers etc. It was just a case of going anywhere different really. The Shetland trip was a challenge to get to Muckle Flugga which is the most northerly point in the British Isles at 61 degrees north. Took us several days to get there. Well the beach facing it, its just a rock with a lighthouse on it.

The Shetland trip was a challenge to get to Muckle Flugga which is the most northerly point in the British Isles at 61 degrees north. Took us several days to get there. Well the beach facing it, its just a rock with a lighthouse on it.
Not quite :D :D

1720096800907.png

Yeah I know what you mean. Bit barren those islands and Orkney and Shetland are the same. Some people love that, I wasn't mad keen either but enjoyed the trips all the same. Some fab beaches and a spectacular plane ride to the external Orkney islands was a complete hoot! We did 18 Scottish islands on boys trips before I got Hank 1 in VW campers etc. It was just a case of going anywhere different really. The Shetland trip was a challenge to get to Muckle Flugga which is the most northerly point in the British Isles at 61 degrees north. Took us several days to get there. Well the beach facing it, its just a rock with a lighthouse on it.
When I lived on Unst in the 70s the lighthouse was manned and the guys lived in the shore station when off duty . Then it was automated in the 90s.

When I lived on Unst in the 70s the lighthouse was manned and the guys lived in the shore station when off duty . Then it was automated in the 90s.

You probably don't remember the famous bus shelter then?

There was half a bottle of Scotch in it when I visited in the noughties. It was proper stuff as well. I drank some. :D

Not Scotland to Ireland (always seems expensive?) but Irish people I met in England went on a commercial ferry (maybe Birkenhead?) with their van . They reckoned it was very cheap

Not Scotland to Ireland (always seems expensive?) but Irish people I met in England went on a commercial ferry (maybe Birkenhead?) with their van . They reckoned it was very cheap
There was a thing called SeaTruck, we used it first time we went, cheaper rather than very cheap, but last time we looked it wasn't available, it went from Heysham.

I think Seatruck suspended passenger accompanied freight during COVID. Their website indicates that they still carry 12 passengers and motorhomes. However, they have been taken over, so difficult to know how things stand now.
They used to make a point of informing passengers that there was no lift on their (then) fleet and stairs were unavoidable.

Davy

Have you looked at Newhaven Dieppe?
If you book one way it is expensive but if you book a return it is cheap. Then take into account the old farts discount it is even cheaper still, plus you are saving about £30 worth of diesel instead of going from Calais. We use it whenever we can although we don't like the 4hr crossing but because we can stop overnight at the port it is as well as cheaper convenient too.
pj

Back