Is Scotland>Ireland>France a viable trip.

Pudsey Bear

I just suggested it to Liz a couple of days ago, she says it's quite a good one to do cost wise, but I'm not sure she's done it right, so just asking those who are much better travelled that we are in a van.

Has anyone done it?

If the Ireland to France ferry is affordable we would save time and money by not having to come back to the UK, not having to cross to France, not having to drive down to Dover or wherever.

It seems feasible to me.

What does the forum think?

I am currently in France. Irish ferries Dublin to Cherbourg 4th June to 11th July, motorhome over 2.5 m height with window cabin for 2 people €1068 crossing time approx 18 hours.
Same details for sept to early Oct €488.
These prices are with a discount I can obtain through union of 10% low season and 5% high season.
Other companies do Rosslare to Cherbourg or Roscoff, or Cork to Roscoff, I think, but Stena use a small boat and Brittany ferries quote me dearer. Similar travel times.

Davy

I guess it depends how far down France you sail to.

We have done Scotland>Ireland>Spain. That was definitely worthwhile, it saved us driving (from Scotland) either to Portsmouth, or all through France.

Another option for you might be Newcastle to Amsterdam, or Hull to Rotterdam?

Last edited:
Yeah check out the ferry costs Kev. I priced just Plymouth to Roscoff the other day or late July and it was over £600 one way with a cabin. Even Dover to Calais one way cheapest was £150+

I am currently in France. Irish ferries Dublin to Cherbourg 4th June to 11th July, motorhome over 2.5 m height with window cabin for 2 people €1068 crossing time approx 18 hours.
Same details for sept to early Oct €488.
These prices are with a discount I can obtain through union of 10% low season and 5% high season.
Other companies do Rosslare to Cherbourg or Roscoff, or Cork to Roscoff, I think, but Stena use a small boat and Brittany ferries quote me dearer. Similar travel times.

Davy
Thanks Davy, can you give me a bit more info please, via PM if you prefer.

That was booking 70 days in advance as we did think about going this years but the finances don't look good enough just yet so it'll be up to Scotland September time, can't say for sure as I have Radiotherapy at some point, 5 days a week for four weeks in Leeds, 3 hour round trip :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not much more to say on it, unless you have something specific you need a answer to.
The van is 6.99 m long but Irish Ferries go by height. All their cabins are 4 berth, but booked out to your required number, ie no sharing with strangers.
Meals etc not included, we take a prepared salad and meat tea as the boat leaves around 16.00 and also take croissants or other food for breakfast. Boat docks around 10.30. we like the sailing times as you sleep for most of it, whereas Spain ferries depart late at night and you have a whole day and 2 nights aboard. Don't use their cafeteria or restaurant other than for coffee. You could take a kettle and make your own, french adapter needed though.
Both the basic boat price and cabin prices vary according to time of year. We generally do April to June, but are late this year so price drifting into high season. Sept to Oct cheaper as you saw. Irish ferries have been advertising like mad this year. I definitely think their numbers are down and prices not bad. If you check their website in Jan you sometimes get a 10% reduction with only a deposit to pay.
In over 15 years of going twice a year, they have always been cheapest, but others will disagree. Bit like insurance quotes. I like France but we often visit Northern Spain, so I enjoy the drive down. through France. Each trip is 5 to 6 weeks duration so time is irrelevant to us. Up until a year or so ago Brittany ferries only had a small boat on the route, so a 2 night trip at more cost is not usually on our menu.
If I can add anything, feel free to ask.

Davy

Cork to Roscoff is probably what your good Lady found, good news is it only 15 hours (due to the time difference) get an outside cabin and it’s not so bad.

Save you loads of time.

I just had a go at a quote but it won't accept the dates we need April to June next year.

1720077382937.png

I'm not one for ferries, far too boring.

The Aberdeen to Shetland is a goodun. 12 feckin hours! I ended up playing in an REM tribute band on their way to a festival at 1am on that one. :D It was great when we set off early evening. Lovely sunset, few beers on the back of the boat, live music in the bar but by 4am even I collapsed. Trouble was two hours later it docked at Lerwick. :(

The Aberdeen to Shetland is a goodun. 12 feckin hours! I ended up playing in an REM tribute band on their way to a festival at 1am on that one. :D It was great when we set off early evening. Lovely sunset, few beers on the back of the boat, live music in the bar but by 4am even I collapsed. Trouble was two hours later it docked at Lerwick. :(
Feckin eejit, that the wrong friggin way :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back