Is my solar panel okay?

Yikes!

So much for me never having flattened my batteries. Reading this thread again made me wonder if I switched the battery isolation switch when I returned from Norfolk 9 days ago. I went out to the van and immediately noticed that the leisure batteries volt meter was reading 11.4 - I hadn't switched them off so my compressor fridge has been running all of the time since then.

Switched the batteries off and now reading 11.9 so the solar is doing it's stuff. I will take the van for a little run later to give them a boost.

Just given the van a run for half an hour and the batteries are now showing 12.7.

I will see how it holds the charge overnight.

Thats what i ment when I said plug it in at the ehu socket so the mains would charge it up, I have one for when in deep winter the solar is cr-p.

Yeah I know Trev. My EHU isn't connected up so I can't use a 240v charger so I have to rely on the ring unit charging from the alternator and the solar.

My mate has my smart 240v charger at the moment anyways.

Yeah I know Trev. My EHU isn't connected up so I can't use a 240v charger so I have to rely on the ring unit charging from the alternator and the solar.

My mate has my smart 240v charger at the moment anyways.
If using regular then no requirement for a charger, vans sitting for a few weeks with alarms/brains in winter will. (y)

Nb: if you have more than one panel in series, the output won’t exceed that of the least efficient panel, in the same way that just one shaded cell will reduce a panel’s output considerably. Roof bars and TV aerials can be the guilty parties here…

Just checked my batteries and they are back down to 11.9V. :(

We've not had much sun today so I reckon it's time to get my smart charger back from my mate.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back