Is my solar panel okay?

Phantom

We have a 120w solar panel and a Victron 100/20 MPPT smart solar charge controller. It meets our power requirements but out of interest I noticed that the panel only peaked at 70w over summer which is only about 58% of it's supposed capacity and we had some right good sunny days too! I just thought that it might have peaked higher than that even though it is laying flat so am wondering if that is about what should be expected or below par? This month it has peaked at between 10w - 50w, and averaged a peak of about 27w making 70Wh/day though not now keeping up with even our quite light power usage on these much cloudier days so have switched the mains battery charger on as we are long time parked up.
So really I'm just wondering how healthy this solar panel actually is, about normal or not so good? 🤔

Over the summer, I would have expected you would have hit a 100% peak on multiple occasions (on the assumption that your battery bank was not sitting on full by the time noon arrived?).

I was getting >270W from my 270W (3 x 90W Panels) flat roof panels on a Victron 100/20 controller on a few occasions when it was parked up in here in Scotland.

So you may have a poor panel, but back to the earlier comment .... did your battery need any charging by the time you would be at the peak solar time (around noon to 2PM)? That is a critical factor.

I have two 100 watt panels installed horizontally on my roof. I also have a Victron SmartSolar regulator.

The highest output I have seen this Summer was 145 watts equating to 73% of rated power.

Over the summer, I would have expected you would have hit a 100% peak on multiple occasions (on the assumption that your battery bank was not sitting on full by the time noon arrived?).

I was getting >270W from my 270W (3 x 90W Panels) flat roof panels on a Victron 100/20 controller on a few occasions when it was parked up in here in Scotland.

So you may have a poor panel, but back to the earlier comment .... did your battery need any charging by the time you would be at the peak solar time (around noon to 2PM)? That is a critical factor.
I just don't really know but do realize the logic of your question. Well over winter we were parked up on EHU until about June, then have just been using solar until quite recently. But we are parked right between two houses facing SW so only really get max sun towards midday till about 3pm but still get some lesser but okay charge either side. Our power usage is very low so perhaps the early sun may have replenished the charge in summer before midday? If so would that throttle the solar output? Does the Victron only log it's peak output rather than peak input?

But as an aside I could test the solar panel out proper next summer with the view to an upgrade or addition.

I think you have provided the answer. My charge rates are where the vehicle is parked with no obstruction in any direction.

Depends where you are. Try this solar angle calculator.
Even on the South Coast in June the best angle you will achieve with a horizontal panel will be 28° off from the optimum angle. By the time you reach Newcastle it will be 32° off and by Aberdeen 34° off. By mid winter you would be better of with the panel mounted on the side of your motorhome.

Parking location can be critical for sure. I usually park on the right side of the drive and when there, a big pine tree virtually kills my solar from noon to 3PM (just when it would normally be most effective).
If I park facing the same way on the left part of the drive, just 10 foot over, my solar over the day can go up maybe 100%. And if I go back a few feet, it becomes much better again (As I am otherwise parked north of a tall house)

I just don't really know but do realize the logic of your question. Well over winter we were parked up on EHU until about June, then have just been using solar until quite recently. But we are parked right between two houses facing SW so only really get max sun towards midday till about 3pm but still get some lesser but okay charge either side. Our power usage is very low so perhaps the early sun may have replenished the charge in summer before midday? If so would that throttle the solar output? Does the Victron only log it's peak output rather than peak input?

But as an aside I could test the solar panel out proper next summer with the view to an upgrade or addition.

A few things to bear in mind ....
If the panel is only slightly shaded, the entire panel is compromised.. that can have an significant effect.
Peak input Vs peak output. They are really the same minus a few percentage points for controller losses. if there is nowhere for the harvested power to go, it doesn't get harvested so the peak input drops right back. There is no provision for the controller to record a "what if" potential peak power. What you can do if you want to check how well the panel is working is to check with the batteries low enough they will take all the potential power the panel could give, or at maximum sun (around 1PM in the summer in the UK) put on a load of at least what the panel *could* provide (so around 10A for a 120W panel) and see how much the panel steps up to deliver.

Angling panels is all well and good IF you have a clear unobstructed view from panel to sun. Very few do and angling can be counter-productive. I was running a combo of fixed flat roof panels on the van, plus a portable panel kit in the garden tilted at an angle.
When in the sun, the portable kit was more effective for sure, but only for short periods. I used to have to keep moving it to change position due to sun position and tree obstruction. The roof kit plodded along, not getting the maximum efficiencies the portable kit did, but over the day was actually more effective.
If you are in a big field by yourself, sure. If you are in a more typical UK location, nah...
Fit and forget!

I was told or I read somewhere that you can only achieve full output if you are close to the equator. The figures given for solar panels are the maximum achievable, and the further away from the equator you are the lower the max output. I have two 120w panels on a victron 100/20 mppt and my max this summer was 135w on bulk.

I was told or I read somewhere that you can only achieve full output if you are close to the equator. The figures given for solar panels are the maximum achievable, and the further away from the equator you are the lower the max output. I have two 120w panels on a victron 100/20 mppt and my max this summer was 135w on bulk.
That is not quite right TBH. The rating quoted is on a solar irradiation of 1000mW/Sq.M at a temperature of 25C.
The irradiation is perfectly achievable even in the UK, albeit only for part of the year and even then for short periods in those days with clear skies. I have actually got over 100% of the rated power on my panels on the odd occasion.
The cooler the panel the better (so if the temp was 20C the output would be higher than it it were 25C, but how much I don't know. Likely marginal.
The theroretical best harvesting throughout a 24 hour period could maybe be in the Antarctic in mid Dec? Constant light, snow reflections and cold panels :)

Oh, one comment which may be relevant to some (as I see the use of the Victron 100/20 controller is common here, including myself).
If you are using the LOAD output on the controller, depending on how you are looking at the numbers, the load power demand is taken off the solar power harvested, so the performance appear to be lower than it really is (bit strange, but that is Victron for you :) )

18th August in Wiltshire I peaked at 234W from a total of 250w panels (1x150 flat and 1x100 folding tilted) while my Votronic doesn’t log data i saw it in the 140w a few times (1x150w flat).

That is not quite right TBH. The rating quoted is on a solar irradiation of 1000mW/Sq.M at a temperature of 25C.
The irradiation is perfectly achievable even in the UK, albeit only for part of the year and even then for short periods in those days with clear skies. I have actually got over 100% of the rated power on my panels on the odd occasion.
The cooler the panel the better (so if the temp was 20C the output would be higher than it it were 25C, but how much I don't know. Likely marginal.
The theroretical best harvesting throughout a 24 hour period could maybe be in the Antarctic in mid Dec? Constant light, snow reflections and cold panels :)
Yes I agree with that,I have seen 174w on a single 150w panel this summer

Yikes!

So much for me never having flattened my batteries. Reading this thread again made me wonder if I switched the battery isolation switch when I returned from Norfolk 9 days ago. I went out to the van and immediately noticed that the leisure batteries volt meter was reading 11.4 - I hadn't switched them off so my compressor fridge has been running all of the time since then.

Switched the batteries off and now reading 11.9 so the solar is doing it's stuff. I will take the van for a little run later to give them a boost.

Yikes!

So much for me never having flattened my batteries. Reading this thread again made me wonder if I switched the battery isolation switch when I returned from Norfolk 9 days ago. I went out to the van and immediately noticed that the leisure batteries volt meter was reading 11.4 - I hadn't switched them off so my compressor fridge has been running all of the time since then.

Switched the batteries off and now reading 11.9 so the solar is doing it's stuff. I will take the van for a little run later to give them a boost.
Well flat rob, id be inclined to put a smart charger on the job to cycles them.

Last edited:
WEll flat rob, id be inclined to put a smart charger on the job to cycles them.

My mates borrowed my smart charger at the moment Trev.

They are Trojans and can stand quite a lot of discharging and my charge controller is also a very good one so I will see how it goes.

My mates borrowed my smart charger at the moment Trev.

They are Trojans and can stand quite a lot of discharging and my charge controller is also a very good one so I will see how it goes.
No prob, have you not got a onboard charger fixed in, I have a numax 10ah one connected to ehu outside socket.

No prob, have you not got a onboard charger fixed in, I have a numax 10ah one connected to ehu outside socket.

I've got one installed Trev but not wired up to the EHU yet but I may take it out and replace it with a smart charger.

My charge controller has been superb for the last couple of years so hopefully will do the business.

I've got one installed Trev but not wired up to the EHU yet but I may take it out and replace it with a smart charger.

My charge controller has been superb for the last couple of years so hopefully will do the business.

Expensive, these are about 40 bucks.
40ah charger.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back