Is it “illegal” to wild camp in England?

SimonM

I very seldom have a need or desire to stopover at all in England as I mostly go direct to France or Scotland. I have, and do however, find a nice quiet spot to stop on those very unusual occasions when I’m in England. I’ll either make use of WC app or p4n to find somewhere

my question is - is it illegal - to wild camp? I don’t mean frowned upon or undesirable, is it potentially a criminal or civil offence ?

I’m not a member of CMC but posed a question asking if a member of said club was permitted to drive into a fully booked club site and just empty a WC. They have said no because wild camping is illegal and they won’t allow it, also Scotland sites - where Wilding is permitted, aren’t allowed to offer the facility unless an overnight stop is paid for.

Generally, it is illegal to wild camp in England and Wales without the express permission of the landowner.

That link is talking specifically about tent camping, not motorhome/campervan "camping".

Wild camping does not apply to vehicles as such, I think you are meaning off grid/ad hoc stops. In this case there is no problem stopping in lots of places in England. If it isn’t expressly forbidden by correct signage you should be fine.

If you listened to those on the "NC500 the land weeps" FB group they seem to reckon "wild camping" (in a motorhome) is less legal in Scotland than it is in England! They hate the term "wild camping" though when referring to camper vans of any description.

As far as I can tell I think you are legally allowed to stop overnight on public land within 15 yards of a road unless there are signs there with a TRO stating otherwise in the UK. On land owned by someone you are supposed to seek permission. This is how I understand it anyway. So yes, in certain places its perfectly legal.

i believe it ,like lots of things ,is illegal if a copper decides it is i imagine the Vagrancy Act would cover it ].
normally they only enforce these things if they get a complaint or have another agenda . however i wouldn't let it stop me ,although i'd exercise discretion in choosing a spot

They did slip in a lot of new legislation in Covid I think. The rozzers were authorised to chuck anyone out of the Lake District national park at all hours and they did so. As far as I am aware thats not been rolled back. Not worth trying there now really anyway apart from a few hidden away spots.

Think they often operate on the basis most people will do what they're told , pay the fines etc
Most of the parking up referred to on here is certainly not criminal.
Vagrancy act ? Doubt even the bolshiest copper would try to use that
Would they ?

Think they often operate on the basis most people will do what they're told , pay the fines etc
Most of the parking up referred to on here is certainly not criminal.
Vagrancy act ? Doubt even the bolshiest copper would try to use that
Would they ?
i know 2 guys who got done for sleeping ,in sleeping bags ,in a public park . 6 months suspended for 2 years .

Wild camping does not apply to vehicles as such, I think you are meaning off grid/ad hoc stops. In this case there is no problem stopping in lots of places in England. If it isn’t expressly forbidden by correct signage you should be fine.
Now that’s what I call good old common sense, and although succinct it states clearly were we stand. But the problem is some who try to enforce the law, don't even know what a TRO is. My advice if asked to move, move, if there’s a sign which states no overnight parking, even though it has no legal standing don’t stay overnight, your not welcome. But what’s really needed are clearly defined rights, that we all understand, negating the need for this debate.

Now that’s what I call good old common sense, and although succinct it states clearly were we stand. But the problem is some who try to enforce the law, don't even know what a TRO is. My advice if asked to move, move, if there’s a sign which states no overnight parking, even though it has no legal standing don’t stay overnight, your not welcome. But what’s really needed are clearly defined rights, that we all understand, negating the need for this debate.
asking a bureaucrat for guidelines is like giving them pandora's box . i remember whay happened at DVLA when some self builders asked for clearer rules . suddenly there was no leeway and loads fewer motor caravans

You are not allowed to wild camp, ie tables awning chairs out and a fire lit, however if just having a nap as with rule 91 h way code then you are ok, iv had a sleep many times through England and wales, even had cops pull up have a look and drive off.

asking a bureaucrat for guidelines is like giving them pandora's box . i remember whay happened at DVLA when some self builders asked for clearer rules . suddenly there was no leeway and loads fewer motor caravans
Yes but this is all being reviewed, and the DVLA have been roundly condemned for how they have handled this. But that’s not what I was meaning. Leaving things as they are is not an option, when we don’t know were we stand, hence the debate. And those charged with applying the law(s) don’t fully understand them either. This whole situation is a shambles.

Last edited:
Best of without guidelines thanks. Last thing anyone needs is more rules.
The last thing we want is guidelines, even less more rules. Whats required is us all knowing were we stand, and those charged with applying the law knowing what they are doing.
The lack of clarity is why we are debating something, we should all be clear about.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back