Is it “illegal” to wild camp in England?

This thread seems to have deteriorated badly, in common with many, several people seem to think it’s necessary to answer a question that hasn't been asked.

First of all, I do not use campsites in UK, and very seldom in Europe. I will always want to park in that secluded layby or forest track or similar as can be found on the WC app. I will always want to wild camp (if that is the correct term) because I don’t want the regimentation and costs of stopping where I don’t want to be ie near people. I have all of the equipment necessary contained inside my Motorhome (not a camper van) to stop miles off grid if necessary, I’m fully self contained with lots of solar, plentiful leisure batteries (x4) 2 large Gaslow cylinders and so on.

My question was quite simple is it illegal to wild camp in England? I have done it, I will continue to do it, but I just wanted an easy answer.
Except for places where wild camping involves something explicitly banned (e.g. no overnight, no sleeping, no motorhomes), wild camping is not illegal per se. That is, it is not prohibited by law. Provided you don't pass through a gate or contravene a prohibition notice, you're not even trespassing by wild camping as there is an implied right of access until the land owner revokes it. However, it is illegal to refuse to move on when so ordered by the land owner, police officer, or other person authorised to give such orders.

So, bottom line:
  • It is illegal to wild camp where there's an explicit prohibition or you have to cross a physical barrier.
  • It is not illegal to wild camp elsewhere.
  • It is illegal to not comply with land owner etc. demands to leave.

Why is parking a motorised self propelled vehicle on 4 wheels in which a bed is fitted defined as “wild camping” or even “camping”?

It is clearly illegal to park up on any privately owned land without the land owners permission regardless of the type of self propelled vehicle. Public owned land and highways a different matter subject to local road traffic orders.

Why are self propelled vehicles in which a bed is fitted always singled out for special treatment over and beyond other vehicle types?
According to this in some circumstances it’s illegal to single out one type of vehicle
F770F4E4-FB8B-47C4-9487-5BEADEAD1AFF.jpeg
84B46759-E31C-4348-B094-1B16CFC6CF68.jpeg
0CF56348-80BE-4349-BBBD-ECC6BD36AC78.jpeg

Annie, we saw 'Snoopy' parked up in Mosley, it rather took us back
Feel sorry for the people that bought him looking at the listing on eBay a couple of months back I checked it’s MOT history not great loss of welding needed., but good luck to them.

Except for places where wild camping involves something explicitly banned (e.g. no overnight, no sleeping, no motorhomes), wild camping is not illegal per se. That is, it is not prohibited by law. Provided you don't pass through a gate or contravene a prohibition notice, you're not even trespassing by wild camping as there is an implied right of access until the land owner revokes it. However, it is illegal to refuse to move on when so ordered by the land owner, police officer, or other person authorised to give such orders.

So, bottom line:
  • It is illegal to wild camp where there's an explicit prohibition or you have to cross a physical barrier.
  • It is not illegal to wild camp elsewhere.
  • It is illegal to not comply with land owner etc. demands to leave.
So it is actually illegal to park your vehicle in , for example , a town carpark and go to sleep ?
Even if there is a sign saying no sleeping

This thread seems to have deteriorated badly, in common with many, several people seem to think it’s necessary to answer a question that hasn't been asked.

First of all, I do not use campsites in UK, and very seldom in Europe. I will always want to park in that secluded layby or forest track or similar as can be found on the WC app. I will always want to wild camp (if that is the correct term) because I don’t want the regimentation and costs of stopping where I don’t want to be ie near people. I have all of the equipment necessary contained inside my Motorhome (not a camper van) to stop miles off grid if necessary, I’m fully self contained with lots of solar, plentiful leisure batteries (x4) 2 large Gaslow cylinders and so on.

My question was quite simple is it illegal to wild camp in England? I have done it, I will continue to do it, but I just wanted an easy answer.
No must be your answer surely? If you’ve done it and you’ll continue to do it and your not in jail🤷‍♂️

No must be your answer surely? If you’ve done it and you’ll continue to do it and your not in jail🤷‍♂️
Or, you just haven't been caught yet? :D As my Practice of Banking Teacher used to say, 'Everything that is alright, is alright, as long as everything that is alright, is alright. But when everything that is alright, is not alright, by gum you've got a problem' :rolleyes:

Steve

I have had various communications with Cornwall coco and in every reply the wording is identical....if you come here you must stay in one of our many campsites 😡
What they are doing is taking advantage of the current situation, were there is much misunderstanding and misinformation. But currently we rely heavily on the goodwill of local authorities who can more or less do as they please. Up here in Scotland we have some local authorities who deserve credit for how they handle us like Fife, and highland councils, but then on the other hand we have East Lothian who’s treatment of us is appalling. The lack of continuity only ads to this misunderstanding. Then off course we have the CMC stating half truths convincing some inexperienced motorhome owners they must go to campsites, instead of clarity all they do is add to the confusion out there.

I , not strictly correctly , am interpreting illegal as meaning criminal .
Be careful with that. IANAL, but as I understand it "illegal" means "explicitly forbidden by law" and can be either civil or criminal.

So it is actually illegal to park your vehicle in , for example , a town carpark and go to sleep ?
Even if there is a sign saying no sleeping
That's not quite what I wrote. Bans on sleeping in vehicles need to be according to some legislation (e.g. a bylaw). Otherwise, you're free to park and nap.

With all that said, I've taken another look at "The Bill" that makes not moving on when required a criminal offence (Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022). The section that does this is Part 4, and there is a requirement that the offender causes or is likely to cause significant damage and/or disruption for an offence to occur. So, you should be OK provided you follow the mantra of taking nothing but photos and leaving nothing by tyre tracks. However, I suspect a court would give the opinion of a police officer or land owner who considered damage/disruption likely a lot of weight.

Be careful with that. IANAL, but as I understand it "illegal" means "explicitly forbidden by law" and can be either civil or criminal.

That's not quite what I wrote. Bans on sleeping in vehicles need to be according to some legislation (e.g. a bylaw). Otherwise, you're free to park and nap.

With all that said, I've taken another look at "The Bill" that makes not moving on when required a criminal offence (Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022). The section that does this is Part 4, and there is a requirement that the offender causes or is likely to cause significant damage and/or disruption for an offence to occur. So, you should be OK provided you follow the mantra of taking nothing but photos and leaving nothing by tyre tracks. However, I suspect a court would give the opinion of a police officer or land owner who considered damage/disruption likely a lot of weight.
Yes wasn't quoting you , my question was a logical follow on from what you wrote

Yes wasn't quoting you , my question was a logical follow on from what you wrote
'Illegal' is against a law [also a sick bird] :D; 'unlawful' breaks a law. So, it's illegal to kill someone deliberately; but it's unlawful to, say, breach a contractual obligation. In essence, 'illegal' states what you must NOT do; unlawful describes a situation where you act contrary to something which you are empowered to do [e.g. entering into a contract], but then breaching its terms and conditions.

It doesn't help that the two terms are used outside the Court Room interchangeably ...

Steve

That is the problem. We call it WILD CAMPING. It is not, unless you get stuff out that makes it camping. It is NOT illegal to park in a public place and sleep, eat, wash and do whatever you want INSIDE the wagon unless the LAW (not some local council who are usually exceeding their authority) specifically forbids it. I now call it off grid parking, not wild camping.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back