Is bigger always better?

At Blue Hills there's a 6'3" restriction, it's 6'3", even my old T25 was a tight squeeze.

yes even a mazda bongo only just gets through.
used to be easier as i recall often going through in a vwt2 .
dont think i would venture there with my mini artic ,hee hee.
there are limits a bigger vehicle must obey.
i sold my bongo and havnt had a t2 for years but often think should i get one .
living in cornwall there are some tight and low places around here i used to often go.
there are places where even with just my unit i have had a problem ,not height not width , just no weight on rear axle so if a sandy lane or a pebbly track lose grip. but live to learn and read the road better.
amazingly with the trailer on and loading of the neck of the trailer the whole outfit as amazing grip and goes places it was never designed to go i,m sure.
i chose the mitzy canter as its very narrow as a truck. often think i should have bought a 4x4 canter though.
but 3mtres high 10mtrs long its been many places most would never go.
maybe i will end up with a vwt2 or a toyota hiace ,or a nissan cabstar. if i,m going to go smaller its got to be narrow etc.
mind i still have a teardrop caravan i could tow.

I’m not leaving my nice comfy house to go stay in a van smaller than my house toilet I like all the comforts in life so vans gonna have tick a few boxes and be able too keep the family happy and comfortable carry all our junk and that Means a larger van but might consider downsizing when I’m older the van in the photo is a six berth motorhome no comparison to the wee Renault and the owners needs totally different could you imagine 6 people with all there kit and food in the wee traffic there’s just no way they should not be compared as already said horses for courses

Clearly as a single person with a dog I have no need for a 6 birth MH but the reason I asked the question was that I spoke to the owner of the Mercedes and he was alone and mostly full timing. I totally get the comfort angle as I have given up a 2 bedroom semi on the seafront in Deal to do this and as you can imagine it's quite a change. This is a personal lifestyle change I have made and I make no judgement about what someone else has I was just genuinely interested in what more experienced people thought about it

Clearly as a single person with a dog I have no need for a 6 birth MH but the reason I asked the question was that I spoke to the owner of the Mercedes and he was alone and mostly full timing. I totally get the comfort angle as I have given up a 2 bedroom semi on the seafront in Deal to do this and as you can imagine it's quite a change. This is a personal lifestyle change I have made and I make no judgement about what someone else has I was just genuinely interested in what more experienced people thought about it

bought my mini artic in 2000 i was married then and had two lads that were living with girlfriends .
the idea was it was big enough if they all came away or flew out.
later got divorced but i kept the artic . it is too big really for one person , i did have the dog for a few years but she died . trouble i have is if i go small its got to be very small or no gain . just about anywhere a coach built m,home can go so can i . even a hightop van sometimes doesnt give much more places to go.
plus i do carry a m,bike or can drop the trailer and just use the truck , it fits in a car park space. mind even with the trailer only takes two spaces one behind the other.
its a hard decision to either go bigger for you or me to go smaller.
mind sometimes i stand in my trailer and have been in smaller flats . can live long times easy with the space .
look at ever thing you can . think about where you might want to go etc .
plus what licence class,s you have .
sometimes i consider building a demount to fit my truck , but then say stop it , had demounts years ago they can be too high etc .

'hairydog' in post 42 above quoted

7.6.2. Additional requirements for vehicles of categories M2 or M3 and N

Motorcaravans (MHs) are category M1 (SP -Special purpose), so not covered by that.

Geoff

bought my mini artic in 2000 i was married then and had two lads that were living with girlfriends .
the idea was it was big enough if they all came away or flew out.
later got divorced but i kept the artic . it is too big really for one person , i did have the dog for a few years but she died . trouble i have is if i go small its got to be very small or no gain . just about anywhere a coach built m,home can go so can i . even a hightop van sometimes doesnt give much more places to go.
plus i do carry a m,bike or can drop the trailer and just use the truck , it fits in a car park space. mind even with the trailer only takes two spaces one behind the other.
its a hard decision to either go bigger for you or me to go smaller.
mind sometimes i stand in my trailer and have been in smaller flats . can live long times easy with the space .
look at ever thing you can . think about where you might want to go etc .
plus what licence class,s you have .
sometimes i consider building a demount to fit my truck , but then say stop it , had demounts years ago they can be too high etc .

I think another part of the reason I went small was because years ago I decided I wanted to live on a boat and got something (1936 wooden 42 foot Broads cruiser weighing 8 tonnes) and it was too big and cost too much to maintain. I think in the future I might step up and get something a bit more robust 4 wheel drive etc but at the moment I'm getting the best of both worlds by staying in rural car parks and shopping in town centres.

Lombard Street S.F.

I drove down Lombard Street, San Francisco years ago in a normal car.
Even that demanded full concentration.
[video=youtube_share;mkoq6Gx_xWo]https://youtu.be/mkoq6Gx_xWo?t=220[/video][/QUOTE]

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back