Is bigger always better?

Oh yes, but I prefer to read the regulation, not someone's interpretation of it. And I don't think many motorhomes would meet those exception requirements. Turn in less than 12.5 metres?

Even a standard SWB sprinter has a 15.3 metre turning circle. Few motorhomes can better a Sprinter van for turning circle.
fair enough, I don't have an overhang so it is just of semi-acedemic interest.

ref the comment about the overhang being illegal... I doubt a motorhome maker would commision a shell without checking the legalities of it and would have at least the same level of knowledge about overhang limitations and rules as a Forum randomer would.
Biut as I said .. not my overhang and not making that van so my belief doesn't matter.

I got rid of a 7 berth, flash05 to what I have now. Much more mobile and suitable for my needs now the kids have gone. Faster Too :) :)

We've owned 2 big hymers, the last one a S820 with all the bells and whistles, needed to tow a car everywhere and whilst it suited 'long stay' on sites it was awful to use in the UK, glad we now have a van conversion we can use at the drop of a hat.

I’m not leaving my nice comfy house to go stay in a van smaller than my house toilet I like all the comforts in life so vans gonna have tick a few boxes and be able too keep the family happy and comfortable carry all our junk and that Means a larger van but might consider downsizing when I’m older the van in the photo is a six berth motorhome no comparison to the wee Renault and the owners needs totally different could you imagine 6 people with all there kit and food in the wee traffic there’s just no way they should not be compared as already said horses for courses

those old buses we had were short buses at 9m , and everywhere we went, no matter how remote or rural , full size buses ran regular services without a problem ,managing to service tiny alpine villages and windy little fishing villages. and we never went on sites and aires didn't exist , so maybe it's down to what you're used to

although i did take a couple of hours reversing out of Albufeira old town up by the copshop, all part of the craic !

Absolutely Mr Brown,,,As you say Some Busses can get to where you wouldn’t think it possible, If a Supermarket Delivery’s can make it, Then so can I !.
I certainly don’t mind Folding my Wing mirrors in if I have to, & I’ve said on here in the past that the outside of the Nest Had/Has it’s scars & Reminders of some of the Park ups I’ve used in it over the last 5 years or so, But I LIVE & USE IT, ‘Wild’ camp the Majority of the Time & THATS to be expected. In stead of Washing & Polishing The Nest I just Fill, Sand & give it another coat of Paint as I did in Jan/Feb this year !.

Last edited by a moderator:
last time i painted a van i sprayed it with dulux weatherseal, good coverage and a nice finish.2 coats went from dark green to light grey , very nice for 20 quid

I Washed it down with a Cpl of coats of White Spirit then used Polyuathane one pack Factory Floor Paint, Two coats of Black, Over White, Two coats of Grey over Grey & It’s been fine.
(There’s some pictures on here somewhere)

Actually they are on the ‘Pros & Cons’ Thread post 178 ish onwards!

Of course buses & HGV's go down narrow country lanes, but as I stated previously, it doesn't matter, to them, because they don't worry about scratches.
Also, all the large trucks & HGV's, that I have driven, have the cabs much higher than a normal motorhome, which makes it easier.
I can't make it any plainer, LARGE VEHICLES present more difficulties, than SMALLER ones. It's SO OBVIOUS!
To pretend otherwise is being ECONOMICAL with the TRUTH!

Of course buses & HGV's go down narrow country lanes, but as I stated previously, it doesn't matter, to them, because they don't worry about scratches.
Also, all the large trucks & HGV's, that I have driven, have the cabs much higher than a normal motorhome, which makes it easier.
I can't make it any plainer, LARGE VEHICLES present more difficulties, than SMALLER ones. It's SO OBVIOUS!
To pretend otherwise is being ECONOMICAL with the TRUTH!

For YOU maybe,
Probably NOT for everyone I Really can’t make it any plainer !

My vans 9 meters and haven’t realy been hampered by the length of van and I've been to some remote locations single track rds mountain passes with few passing places down some steep slips too get on off ferries With a large overhang on back not a problem if you know what you’re doing I’ve been places that some people wouldn’t take a T5 but I think that’s more to do with confidence in my own driving abilities there’s a few people who should stick to smaller vans if they don’t feel confident enough to drive on a tarmac surface I’ll only call it a day when grass starts growing heavy in the middle rut.

i wish i could show you the village we went through almost daily and the track we drove my 1 1/2 decker ,son in laws double deckerbus, and daughter's single decker, to get to a bit of land he owned that we all stayed on.
there's always a tractor and farmers love having a bit of a change from their humdrum lives !

As HD & LC has outlined I share the opinion that it’s more to do with ones own Confidence & Driving ability as to wether a certain type or size of vehicle is going to be more problematic than another type or size.
Have I Scratched The Nest,,, YEP, Dented it,,,YEP, Had it down to its axels in A Mud trench at a badly chosen overnight stop,,YEP, & Just the other day a Bird Crapped on my windshield, Crapped all down it I tell you !. (Granted it might have missed if I had a smaller van!).
I go off the beaten track & ‘Wildcamp’ it’s my chosen lifestyle & pay the price for what i do.

How many of you with coachbuilts go through 6'6" restrictions?

Actually THAT I haven’t done, OR headed down a road with say a 10’6’’ Hight restriction (The Nest Being 11Ft).
That would be almost as Naughty as doing 35 in a 30 !.

(Aham !)

always allowed 30% exaggeration for health and safety reasons , so assumed 8' would fly through .
bit different with bridges mind , if there's an old sign and new tarmac -beware !

How many of you with coachbuilts go through 6'6" restrictions?

That is really the difference though isn’t it, width not length that’s what can stop you. Height as well you can’t get in car parks with height barriers.

I just accept that and route to where I can get, a smaller van wouldn’t suit what we need and a bigger one does. I can live easily in an old workers two up two down house although a driveway would be nice I cope fine without.

Get what does what you want so long as it will do what you need, does it matter?

always allowed 30% exaggeration for health and safety reasons , so assumed 8' would fly through .
bit different with bridges mind , if there's an old sign and new tarmac -beware !

At Blue Hills there's a 6'3" restriction, it's 6'3", even my old T25 was a tight squeeze.

That is really the difference though isn’t it, width not length that’s what can stop you. Height as well you can’t get in car parks with height barriers.

Some areas of Scotland have length restrictions, also as above, at Blue Hills there's a width restriction one way, t'other there are very tight bends which will be a very tight squeeze if not impassable with a long van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back