Ireland and the EU ...

Unfair on those citizens in Northern Ireland that have had EU protocols imposed on them to enable border trade with Eire without the travel freedoms that their Southern Irish cousins enjoy.

And to make it clear if you are using a U.K. passport to enter the Schengen zone from Eire you have your passport stamped and are restricted to 90 days.

It is not a golden ticket to enter Schengen through Eire as some have indicated.

TBF I don't think anyone has indicated that.

The clarification asked for (as I understood it, but I could be wrong - I often am! 🤪 :ROFLMAO: ) was:-

a) do you need a passport to go to Eire from the rest of the UK - no, but if intending to travel onwards to the EU then yes, you do.

b) is Eire classified as an EU member state for the purposes of the 90 day visiting rule - no, it's not as the Common Travel Agreement we have with Eire means it isn't classified as an EU state if you're traveling there as a resident of England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Anyone going into the Schengen area from anywhere needs to present their passport, if their passport is not from a Schengen state or another EU state and they do not have other documentation allowing such, then they will be limited to the 90/180 rule.

Eire is not a Schengen state, so yes going from Eire to a Schengen state means passport checks and 90/180 rule If you are not a Schengen or EU passport holder.

You can however as a British citizen go to Eire for as long as you like (for now)

So as a British Passport holder (from today actually) I can go to Eire for as long as I like.

As an Irish passport holder I can go to Eire and the UK for as long as I like.

Anyone going into the Schengen area from anywhere needs to present their passport, if their passport is not from a Schengen state or another EU state and they do not have other documentation allowing such, then they will be limited to the 90/180 rule.

Eire is not a Schengen state, so yes going from Eire to a Schengen state means passport checks and 90/180 rule If you are not a Schengen or EU passport holder.

You can however as a British citizen go to Eire for as long as you like (for now)

So as a British Passport holder (from today actually) I can go to Eire for as long as I like.

As an Irish passport holder I can go to Eire and the UK for as long as I like.
I wonder why you put the "(for now)" bit? Agreements are reciprocal and if UK visitors to Ireland get time-limited, the same will happen to Irish visitors to the UK and that will not go down well at all with them.

I wonder why you put the "(for now)" bit? Agreements are reciprocal and if UK visitors to Ireland get time-limited, the same will happen to Irish visitors to the UK and that will not go down well at all with them.
My apologies, I’ve edited my post as I now realise any answer would inevitably break the no politics rule.

Ireland will never restrict access to and from the U.K. her largest and most important trading partner. The integration between the two countries is so profound that it would lead to many complications for both countries. Also if Eire joined the Schengen it would scupper the Northern Ireland agreement between the U.K. and the EU. I doubt if it would be sanctioned by the EU.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back