Ireland and the EU ...

wildebus

OK. Here is a question...

The Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom still have in place the CTA - this pre and post dates membership of the EU and allows UK Passport Holders unlimited time in the Republic and vice-versa.

The question. As Ireland is still in the EU, when a UK person arrives in Ireland, does the EU "90 days in 180" clock start counting officially? So if you went to Ireland and stayed there for say 2 months, and then got a Ferry to Spain, would you have just 30 days in Spain before you have overstayed your EU welcome? Or does the clock start when you arrive in Spain and you have the full 90 days?
Or say you went to Ireland for 4 months and then you went to a France for a 2 week break, would you be refused entry as you have used all your EU allowance despite being in Ireland via the CTA as you were in the EU as well?

No one gives a fook here, only thing gets a look at is trucks going through Dublin or other ports, fact is there is no border any longer as its all in the EU heads and not paddies.
Anyway you are welcome here and I will hide you after interrogation on charging systems LOL.

The Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom still have in place the CTA - this pre and post dates membership of the EU and allows UK Passport Holders unlimited time in the Republic and vice-versa.

The question. As Ireland is still in the EU, when a UK person arrives in Ireland, does the EU "90 days in 180" clock start counting officially? So if you went to Ireland and stayed there for say 2 months, and then got a Ferry to Spain, would you have just 30 days in Spain before you have overstayed your EU welcome? Or does the clock start when you arrive in Spain and you have the full 90 days?
Or say you went to Ireland for 4 months and then you went to a France for a 2 week break, would you be refused entry as you have used all your EU allowance despite being in Ireland via the CTA as you were in the EU as well?
No it does not David.
First you dont need a passport to enter the republic. You are free to enter work or stay there as long as you wish, it works both ways for Irish citizens living here.

But you are entering the single market and the customs union whatever ever part you enter north or south. So technically they could check what you are carrying.
But I would be surprised if they did.
The only time you do need a passport is for security reasons if flying.

You can travel to either Northern Ireland or the Republic from any port in GB without needing a passport. Obviously some sort of photo ID would be sensible to have.

Exiting Ireland for France or Spain, your passport is inspected by the ferry officials at the check in booth at the port of departure as you are leaving a non Schengen country (RoI) and your passport will be inspected by the police on landing on continental soil as this is your first contact with the Schengen area and the start of the 90 day clock.

This is what happens to us based in Co Down when we travel Dublin Cherbourg with Irish Ferries.

As a bonus any food bought while in N. Ireland or the RoI is within the single market and therefore unlikely to be challenged arriving into Schengen. The food you bring into Ireland is unlikely to be challenged since there is still a vast amount of trade with the UK and virtually all foodstuffs bought in either country will be identically labelled anyway.

Davy

Ireland is not in Schengen Area, so only 'local' rules apply, in this case it's CTA.

The answer is any U.K. passport holder staying in Eire for any number of days it does not count towards the 90 days when you enter mainland Europe. The clock starts ticking for U.K. passport holders when you enter France or Spain from Eire.

That applies to Northern Ireland U.K. passport holders also. Eire passport holders have complete travel freedoms both in the U.K. and mainland Europe. Unfair but that’s the way it is.

The answer is any U.K. passport holder staying in Eire for any number of days it does not count towards the 90 days when you enter mainland Europe. The clock starts ticking for U.K. passport holders when you enter France or Spain from Eire.

That applies to Northern Ireland U.K. passport holders also. Eire passport holders have complete travel freedoms both in the U.K. and mainland Europe. Unfair but that’s the way it is.
Please inform me why that is unfair.
Eire is in the EU , they are EU citizens, we are not.
Are you seriously saying that because we left the EU that people living in Eire should lose their EU citizenship also. Or are you saying that even though we are no longer EU citizens we should retain ours. :unsure:

Think the question is answered :)
I know a passport is not required, but ID is, and someone is likely to present a passport as ID - and I was thinking THAT info might get entered into the system. There must be some recording going on as there will be plenty of visitors who are not UK AND not EU coming in.
Not been to Ireland for a long time now.

I know a passport is not required, but ID is, and someone is likely to present a passport as ID - and I was thinking THAT info might get entered into the system. There must be some recording going on as there will be plenty of visitors who are not UK AND not EU coming in.
Its safe now as we only eat the odd visitor these days. 😂

Anyone entering the RoI from a non EU or UK destination and who do not hold citizenship are subject to the normal rules of visa requirements and customs clearance that you might expect. They may well then be able to travel onward to the Uk without further interrogation, similarly any 3rd country national will be subject to visa requirements etc before entry into the UK. Onward travel to RoI (especially via N. Ireland) is not regulated in any depth. The UK never joined Schengen and I suspect RoI didn’t either as there was effectively a ‘British Isles’ border were both countries regulated who entered the common travel area.
It remains to be seen wether RoI will join Schengen as this would disrupt the existing arrangements. EU citizens entering ROI are required to show a passport before entry. If RoI joined Schengen then a proper land border between RoI and N. Ireland would be required.
There is already an impending issue in that from later this year UK citizens will need the Etias to enter Schengen, but not the RoI and similarly EU citizens (not RoI) will need the UK equivalent Version to enter the UK. Since there is no land border 3rd country citizens will have easy non monitored access to the UK. Even a tourist, with proper visa for Ireland should complete an application and pay to enter N. Ireland from RoI.
All good fun!!

Reactions: REC
Let me get this right in simple terms (I'm easily confused these days!).

If you're a UK resident you can live, work and travel in Eire for as long as you want because of a Common Travel Agreement which predates when we all joined the EU? Same applies vice versa for residents of Eire?

And, as David says, you can easily hop from Ireland across to Europe and the 90 day rule won't apply. Yay! (y)👌

Hmm. Ireland is looking like a very good destination for a long holiday in a camper... :)

Think smuggling is becoming an ascending and easy occupation too... wish I was younger and fitter I'd become a pirate...! :unsure: 🏴‍☠️:devilish:
(Guess there's always an upside when you've been landed with a cr*p deal elsewhere 😉😂😁 😜 )

And, as David says, you can easily hop from Ireland across to Europe and the 90 day rule won't apply. Yay! (y)👌
I think to enter France etc from ROI you need to present passport( not having done it I'm not 100% sure), but you certainly do need to carry one, or at the very least some other form of ID.

Let me get this right in simple terms (I'm easily confused these days!).

If you're a UK resident you can live, work and travel in Eire for as long as you want because of a Common Travel Agreement which predates when we all joined the EU? Same applies vice versa for residents of Eire?

Hmm. Ireland is looking like a very good destination for a long holiday in a camper... :)

Think smuggling is becoming an ascending and easy occupation too... wish I was younger and fitter I'd become a pirate...! :unsure: 🏴‍☠️:devilish:
(Guess there's always an upside when you've been landed with a cr*p deal elsewhere 😉😂😁 😜 )
Marie when you leave Ireland your passport will be checked at the port. Your 90 day limit will start when you arrive at your destination, where your passport should be stamped.
But if you are an ROI citizen there is no limit whatsoever, because they are EU citizens.

I think to enter France etc from ROI you need to present passport( not having done it I'm not 100% sure), but you certainly do need to carry one, or at the very least some other form of ID.
Yes even ROI citizens have to do so because they are entering the schengen.

OK, so the actual question was do you need to take your passport with you if intending to go to Ireland then on to the EU.

The answer being 'yes' :)(y)👌

I have to admit to being completely ignorant about the CTA until this post appeared and I looked it up! :oops:😜(y)

Reactions: REC
OK, so the actual question was do you need to take your passport with you if intending to go to Ireland then on to the EU.

The answer being 'yes' :)(y)👌
And from September this year you will also require an ETIAS
It cost 7€ lasts for three years if you are aged between 18-70.
Outwith those ages you still need to apply but it’s free.
But my father was Irish, guess what I am doing. :)
Another brexit bonus :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Please inform me why that is unfair.
Eire is in the EU , they are EU citizens, we are not.
Are you seriously saying that because we left the EU that people living in Eire should lose their EU citizenship also. Or are you saying that even though we are no longer EU citizens we should retain ours. :unsure:
Unfair on those citizens in Northern Ireland that have had EU protocols imposed on them to enable border trade with Eire without the travel freedoms that their Southern Irish cousins enjoy.

And to make it clear if you are using a U.K. passport to enter the Schengen zone from Eire you have your passport stamped and are restricted to 90 days.

It is not a golden ticket to enter Schengen through Eire as some have indicated.

Unfair on those citizens in Northern Ireland that have had EU protocols imposed on them to enable border trade with Eire without the travel freedoms that their Southern Irish cousins enjoy.

And to make it clear if you are using a U.K. passport to enter the Schengen zone from Eire you have your passport stamped and are restricted to 90 days.

It is not a golden ticket to enter Schengen through Eire as some have indicated.
Irish people living in Northern Ireland can apply for either a U.K. passport or an Irish passport, or both. So the choice is theirs.
But if they choose only a U.K. passport then they are not EU citizens, and therefore restrictions apply, similar restrictions are placed on EU citizens entering the U.K.

The people of Northern Ireland have had nothing “imposed “ upon them.
The “agreement” between the EU and the U.K. was made to prevent a border between the north and the south. Or do you reckon stirring up the troubles with a border in Ireland is preferable.

Why you are making something clear that is plainly obvious beats me.
Obviously if you enter the Schengen with a non EU passport you are subject to restrictions. As I indicated anyone living anywhere on the island of Ireland can apply for an Irish passport, and hence avoid the restrictions.

Who has indicated or said anything about any golden ticket.

Last edited:

Us Nordies from N. Ireland are entitled to hold both passports UK and RoI (as I do), so the two good things that have happened in the last 50 years are.
Unlimited travel in the EU on the RoI passport, and
The only good thing to come out of the Belfast (good Friday) agreement is that my bus pass is valid for all of Ireland, including Ferries to offlying islands like Rathlin and Arran. Wonder would it work on Dublin Holyhead or Cherbourg?

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back