Into Blue Yonder

Road trip from Scotland to Spain.
To summarise;
Benissa - Edinburgh 1622km (1008 miles)
142.25 litres (31.29 UK gallons)
8.77 / 100 km (32.21 mpg) on average

You'll note that I've put the imperial figures in brackets, this is because Yonder (as we call our van) is LHD and I need to google convert.

This trip was always going to be a shakedown to ensure everything was working properly but it really was a mad dash from Spain to Scotland. I've said previously that the delivery of Yonder was delayed because of lockdown measures (first in Germany and then in Spain) so there was no chance to use it before our departure.

The trip included three driving days; two in Spain and one through England to Scotland. We were concerned about being pulled over by Spanish police as travel between regions was not allowed without a reasonable reason. Obviously catching a ferry home was justifiable but we thought a campervan would stick out like a sore thumb and the police would at least be curious. In the end we were waved through the two road blocks we encountered whilst others were pulled over.
Again because of the virus, we decided not to wildcamp on this trip as we didn't know what local restrictions would be in place and we didn't have time to look around for suitable spots. We would be arriving late in Zaragoza and leaving early the next morning so we prebooked (a first for us in Spain as campsites are plentiful) into the Zaragoza Municipal campsite. Our first night in the Road Car R640 was concerning for us as it is a base model from Pòssl and being winter we weren't sure how the insulation would hold-up (I think I read somewhere that the manufacturers used 20mm sheets) in the end it was actually quite cosy and we didn't even put on the heating. By the time it was getting uncomfortably cold we were ready to jump in to the huge bed (one of the main reasons for buying Yonder).
For anyone who has experienced road travel in Spain, I dont need to tell you that in general the roads are quieter in comparison to UK roads but in these times of restricted movements the motorways were practically empty and driving was easy.
The same could be said for the ferry. We had booked the Galicia, which is one of Brittany Ferries newest from Santander to Portsmouth. It was extremely quiet and truck drivers probably outnumbered car and van users. We are quite used to slow movement through Customs checks in Portsmouth but this time took even longer despite a fewer number of vehicles. In fairness the Border Authority staff had the additional tasks of checking our Coronavirus test and Locator forms. The officer didn't seem happy with our choice of staying in the Portsmouth Travel Lodge (2 minutes from the ferry) rather than driving through the night to our quarantine address in Scotland but it was perfectly legal and our paperwork was in order so we were allowed to pass.
Another early start for our trip to Scotland and I don't know why I'm constantly suprised by how busier English roads are to Spain but I thought this time would be different because of lockdown. No, it was straight on to the motorway from the Travel Lodge, four lanes of nose to tail traffic and we knew we were definitely back in Britain.
In the end, the trip north was easy and we only had to slow down to cross The Borders from the A74 to Edinburgh as there was still a lot of ice and snow around. For the moment we now long for the day (like everyone else) for travel restrictions to be lifted and we can venture out for a proper more leisurely road trip but as we are in ten days of quarantine anyway, we are making do with looking at our campervan sitting in the driveway and dreaming of travelling into the Blue Yonder.

IMG_20210119_140558.jpg

Rest area in Spain

IMG_20210121_181030.jpg

On board the Galicia ferry

Van looks great, hope all is going well
Sorry for the extensive delay in replying phillybarbour but it seems lockdown also shutdown my brain and I've not been looking at the forums.
Fortunately life has a habit of getting back to normal and that means spending time in the Blue Yonder.
We've just had a week away, doing the K66 route on the Mull of Kintyre with fabulous weather and stopping of enroute at a fab off grid spot in Balloch (Loch Lomond).
It's now back to reality, to clear out the house before heading down to England for 6 weeks and then back to Spain.. I can't wait.
IMG_20210617_120550.jpg
IMG_20210618_140806.jpg
IMG_20210615_175105.jpg
pictures show us camped by Carradale bay, Kintyre on the edge of the ocean at Killegruer, Kintyre and wilding at Balloch, Loch Lomond. The wildcamp at Balloch, may only be a carpark but on the other side of the hedge is the Loch Lomond and Trossachs park for glorious walking and the little town of Balloch has everything you need within a few Minutes walk. I can't believe we only shared this fabulous spot with one other vehicle.

Agreed. But be warned. The chippy over the bridge is no great shakes. If I ever get there again, maybe I’ll try the one by the traffic lights.🤢

Agreed. But be warned. The chippy over the bridge is no great shakes. If I ever get there again, maybe I’ll try the one by the traffic lights.🤢
Thanks for the warning, I'll definitely be back, so maybe I'll give it a try

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back