Insurance Woes

GreggBear

Just received my renewal, gone up by over 130 quid! This is with an extra years ncb. With the interest charge for monthly payment they want over 600 quid.
When we entered lockdown, I decided to keep my insurance in place so as not to affect the firm (Lancasters)
However my loyalty doesn't seem to be rewarded.
Subsequently, after 5mths? of being locked down I am now still unable to use my bus.....😕

Just received my renewal, gone up by over 130 quid! This is with an extra years ncb. With the interest charge for monthly payment they want over 600 quid.
When we entered lockdown, I decided to keep my insurance in place so as not to affect the firm (Lancasters)
However my loyalty doesn't seem to be rewarded.
Subsequently, after 5mths? of being locked down I am now still unable to use my bus.....😕

I have had the same, insurance up 70% with a claim free year :( and that was with any insurer still about 50% up :mad:

I think the insurers think I am a money tree

Loyalty means absolutely nothing to insurance companies, in fact quite the opposite, And as most of the country didn’t take their vehicles out and there were less claims, insurance should have gone down
I got £11.00 refund from my car insurance lol as wasn’t using it.
On reflection I should have contacted my motorhoming insurer about a refund.

Price comparison on car insurance is easy, but the motorhome is a pain. I phone around a dozen or more brokers every year. Fortunately it needs doing around Christmas so it fills in one of those miserable days between the holidays.

My car insurance went down. In constant use, RAC. My Motorhome insurance increased by £7.00. I use Staveley Head, brokers in Cheshire. Been with them 8 years.
I have the Van on a Gold secure Marina site though.

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason I left it running was that I had started a new policy, & was wanting to build up some ncb on it, I will be getting rid of my runabout motor shortly, so I can transfer my full ncb from that policy onto the bus. It will have to wait till the policy runs out tho, as they want nearly a hundred quid for a mid term vehicle change!
Why does insurance have to be so bloody expensive? No accidents or losses in over 14yrs, drove less than 3000 miles last year in the bus, & they want over 600 quid!, for gods sake, I'm not a bloody teenager....😡

One reason I left it running was that I had started a new policy, & was wanting to build up some ncb on it, I will be getting rid of my runabout motor shortly, so I can transfer my full ncb from that policy onto the bus. It will have to wait till the policy runs out tho, as they want nearly a hundred quid for a mid term vehicle change!
Why does insurance have to be so bloody expensive? No accidents or losses in over 14yrs, drove less than 3000 miles last year in the bus, & they want over 600 quid!, for gods sake, I'm not a bloody teenager....😡
We have to pay for other people's mistakes unfortunately. In my opinion it should be a personal insurance, that is not affected by other insured users. Where I live we get a bit added on for all the numpties, 200yds away.

Also never understood why we insure the vehicle rather than the driver, I have a bus, van, & shortly a trike. I can only drive one at once, why do I need 3 separate policies?
Why not a standard policy that covers me to drive all my vehicles, then the option to insure each individual vehicle for fire/theft/damage etc?
The main policy could cover only me, no named drivers, & would make my life so much easier, if I buy another vehicle I am automatically covered to drive it home....
Silly me, just realized its not about making my life simple, its about them having my pants down every chance they get.....😡

We live in France and vehicle insurance is probably double what you pay in the UK. But, for that we get full breakdown cover, foreign travel cover ( even Russia) and I can allow any family member to drive with my permission.
Still expensive though!
But, on the good side, house and contents insurance is about a third what we paid in the UK and we have medical / health insurance which is half what we paid in NI in the UK, and wine is much cheaper......🍷

I could be wrong but I don't think you can transfer NCB from a car to a campervan/motorhome or vice versa.

I'm sure I was told that once but as I say I could be wrong.

Ins is on a vh because if it ran down a hill and killed someone who will be responsable,all the drivers would swear blind they put the h brake on when they left it.second thing is if its the vh they insure how come it never gets done for drunk driving. :unsure:

When we got our first Motorhome, the insurance company “mirrored” my NCB that I had on the car, although the full discount wasn’t reflected!
When we bought our next Motorhome, I sold my car and transferred the NCB onto the Motorhome, so it can be done

Also never understood why we insure the vehicle rather than the driver, I have a bus, van, & shortly a trike. I can only drive one at once, why do I need 3 separate policies?
Why not a standard policy that covers me to drive all my vehicles, then the option to insure each individual vehicle for fire/theft/damage etc?
The main policy could cover only me, no named drivers, & would make my life so much easier, if I buy another vehicle I am automatically covered to drive it home....
Silly me, just realized its not about making my life simple, its about them having my pants down every chance they get.....😡
That would only work with third party, where your covered for damage you caused/received whilst driving.
Each vehicle needs insurance against theft. Three vehicles, three times the risk of theft/fire. If three vehicles were stolen, damaged or caught fire you'd want three pay outs. So you'd have to pay a premium based on how much risk is being insured. You cannot expect the same premium for one vehicle as a person with three vehicles.

I didn't say anything about the same premium. I suggested the person being covered for basic "drive anything" insurance, is just third party only which would cover all legal obligations to other road users/pedestrians etc. This would cover you & you alone, so it would only be effective on one vehicle at a time & only while you were actually driving it. Any extra cover you required for any particular vehicle would then be on a separate policy bought by you on top of the standard cover. This way you might find there would be less uninsured drivers, as basic insurance should be more affordable, plus the people who didn't want to pay for extra cover( people running cheap runabouts etc) would not have to subsidise drivers with expensive or high powered motors. This cheap insurance could maybe be a prerequisite of vehicle purchase, as it would not be specific to any one vehicle. So if you go to buy a car etc from anyone at all, you must present your basic insurance docs in order to make the purchase.
If you think this is impractical, go try & buy a shotgun without a certificate, this will show you how effective the system can be....

The problem is, the insurance companies in the UK insure the vehicle and the driver. Any other driver of that vehicle needs to be named on the policy. The only benefit of insuring the driver too, ( and only the policy holder, not any other named drivers on that policy) is that they can drive another persons car ( assuming it’s insured) with their permission, but then are only covered third party.
The only difference we have in France is that you cannot buy a new or used car from a dealer without first having insurance in place. This is supposed to be the case if you buy privately too, though people do abuse this. And, as I have stated before, any member of your family can drive your car with your permission, assuming they have a licence.
So, any of my family, who live anywhere, can drive any of my vehicles insured in France, with my permission. When I visit them, I can’t drive their vehicles legally unless they pay a premium to put me on their policy.
I can’t see why UK insurers can’t do this, but, of course, in the UK, there’s always someone holding out their hands for money if you want to do something.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back