Insurance Woes

Just received my renewal, gone up by over 130 quid! This is with an extra years ncb. With the interest charge for monthly payment they want over 600 quid.
When we entered lockdown, I decided to keep my insurance in place so as not to affect the firm (Lancasters)
However my loyalty doesn't seem to be rewarded.
Subsequently, after 5mths? of being locked down I am now still unable to use my bus.....😕
Give this firm a try. I have been with them for 7 years now, can't find better or cheaper: http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/
They even rang me to go through my premium & saved me £85.00 by removing European cover until Covid-19 is sorted. £315.0 Inc breakdown cover & wife covered too, 🤟

I could be wrong but I don't think you can transfer NCB from a car to a campervan/motorhome or vice versa.

I'm sure I was told that once but as I say I could be wrong.
I think you can (and I believe I did so a couple of months ago in fact. When the car was up for new insurance in January, I specifically got the OH to insure it in her name so I could use my freed up NCD on the 'Motor Caravan' insurance when that was due).
I think the transfer limitations are between "Passenger Vehicles" and Commercial Vehicles - and because a Motor Caravan is a Passenger Vehicle, transfers are possible. If a van based camper conversion is not officially reclassified as a Motor Caravan, it is still officially a Commercial Vehicle (I also had this issue before I got my conversion reclassified)

Also never understood why we insure the vehicle rather than the driver, I have a bus, van, & shortly a trike. I can only drive one at once, why do I need 3 separate policies?
Why not a standard policy that covers me to drive all my vehicles, then the option to insure each individual vehicle for fire/theft/damage etc?
The main policy could cover only me, no named drivers, & would make my life so much easier, if I buy another vehicle I am automatically covered to drive it home....
Silly me, just realized its not about making my life simple, its about them having my pants down every chance they get.....😡
I don't know if they are available for private individuals, but you can get a policy like that.
I used to have a policy a few years ago that provided full comprehensive insurance cover for any vehicle I owned OR any vehicle in my charge. Only limitations were an individual vehicle had a maximum value (maybe £80k? can't recall amount but didn't matter to me!) and the total value of the 'fleet' has a maximum value (again much greater than I needed). It also covered drivers I wanted to add.
All I had to do for an extra vehicle is to log onto the MID Database System and add the Registration Number myself. 2 Minutes and job's done (which is why it is so annoying to get charged silly 'admin' charges to do this by so many companies).

It really would be good to be able to have an affordable policy available like that (the policy I had was not cheap at all, but it did other things apart from the above).

The problem is, the insurance companies in the UK insure the vehicle and the driver. Any other driver of that vehicle needs to be named on the policy. The only benefit of insuring the driver too, ( and only the policy holder, not any other named drivers on that policy) is that they can drive another persons car ( assuming it’s insured) with their permission, but then are only covered third party.
The only difference we have in France is that you cannot buy a new or used car from a dealer without first having insurance in place. This is supposed to be the case if you buy privately too, though people do abuse this. And, as I have stated before, any member of your family can drive your car with your permission, assuming they have a licence.
So, any of my family, who live anywhere, can drive any of my vehicles insured in France, with my permission. When I visit them, I can’t drive their vehicles legally unless they pay a premium to put me on their policy.
I can’t see why UK insurers can’t do this, but, of course, in the UK, there’s always someone holding out their hands for money if you want to do something.
try adrian flux at king's lynn well you may win. ok.pj.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back