Insurance for Morocco

RichardA

Free Member
Dear All,

I'm planning on going to Morocco but hadn't realised how difficult it would be to find an insurer who would provide temporary cover (my insurer, like most, doesn't cover Morocco)!

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Many thanks.

Richard Abrahams

I have heard you can buy third party covet at the border ? Sorry can't help you anymore .

It's also worth constantly reminding yourself whilst driving in Europland that you only have the bare minimum legal cover - only 'road traffic acts' I think . So you would have to recover and scrap your own vehicle, and pay for the other party's damage if you cause an accident. I have recently been driving in France for three weeks and make sure I drive very very carefully, giving way to any potential target vehicle. I got down to 50kph before the town sign, and I noticed that virtually all towns and villages no matter how small have 30kph limit areas, and very bumpy sleeping policeman speed killers. You can't even do 20kph over them without having scrambled eggs all over the floor.

I had also heard that you buy it at the border, goodness knows how effective it is. I also wonder how many locals have insurance.
I love Morocco but never driven, I use local transport.

It's also worth constantly reminding yourself whilst driving in Europland that you only have the bare minimum legal cover - only 'road traffic acts' I think . So you would have to recover and scrap your own vehicle, and pay for the other party's damage if you cause an accident. I have recently been driving in France for three weeks and make sure I drive very very carefully, giving way to any potential target vehicle. I got down to 50kph before the town sign, and I noticed that virtually all towns and villages no matter how small have 30kph limit areas, and very bumpy sleeping policeman speed killers. You can't even do 20kph over them without having scrambled eggs all over the floor.
is that everyone then? Or just the policy YOU have? I think rather a sweeping statement made above:)

Luckily my insurance covered me for Morocco, was Aviva at the time if I remember correctly.

Insurance is available in Morocco, but it never used to be at the border, you'd have to drive into town and find an insurance broker, easy enough to do. No idea if it's worth the paper it's printed on, as don't know anyone who has had to claim.
Pretty sure that was only third party cover too.

As for recovery, make sure you have a few hundred Euros or Dollars spare to get you back to ports, Tangier I guess, not sure Moroccan recovery will want to bother going into Ceuta. Anyway, Moroccan mechanics can fix anything, but your truck may be only euro3 compliant afterwards :)

Few years since I been, so may well be recovery is available now.

A bit of advice I was given is don't unless you cannot possibly avoid it drive after dark in Morocco. Lights (especially on donkeys) are seemingly optional. After 3 months of touring there I thoroughly endorse it.

, Anyway, Moroccan mechanics can fix anything, but your truck may be only euro3 compliant afterwards :)
Second that, when our exhaust fell off on the way to Essaouira we were recommended a guy of about 14 who put the big 6 tonne Sprinter onto car ramps and was crawling underneath with a fag in his mouth and an oxy-acetalin torch. I pointed out that I had 2X40ltr LPG tanks slung underneath! He nodded OK, we decided to go into town rather than stay😀. Came back and it was totally fixed with scrap tube for peamuts. Lasted for 2 MOTs till we sold the van

No, it's not true.

In my experience comprehensive insurance policies with European cover extend the same cover within the countries listed in the policy document.
I did suspect that was far far more likely :) gasgas is not a glass half empty guy, more of a glass has a hole in the bottom and anything left is poisonous guy!

Go to the import holding area in Tangiers and ask for any customs agent, they will arrange insurance, never had to claim so can’t be sure how good it would be.

If your intending to drive at night in rural areas then have your wits about you and consider extra forward facing lighting, if your going south of Casablanca (and if you want to see Morocco you should) then unless your heading for Marrakesh you should consider NOT driving at night.

Past Marrakesh, and certainly past Aqadir, night driving becomes a real issue, I wouldn’t do it.

I’d also suggest sticking to the coast road, and avoid Algeria and Mali. Northern Algeria is safe enough, but its not very nice imo.

Go to the import holding area in Tangiers and ask for any customs agent, they will arrange insurance, never had to claim so can’t be sure how good it would be.

If your intending to drive at night in rural areas then have your wits about you and consider extra forward facing lighting, if your going south of Casablanca (and if you want to see Morocco you should) then unless your heading for Marrakesh you should consider NOT driving at night.

Past Marrakesh, and certainly past Aqadir, night driving becomes a real issue, I wouldn’t do it.

I’d also suggest sticking to the coast road, and avoid Algeria and Mali. Northern Algeria is safe enough, but its not very nice imo.
You can go to Algeria in a Moho!

You can go to Algeria in a Moho!
You can indeed, (well tbh, you used to be able to, I’ve not looked lately) but imo it’s not a great idea. The North is safer, but it’s all relative.

The South is very hostile and showing wealth is not advised, since a Motorhome is a sign of wealth then Southern Algeria is not advised. Just like everywhere else the locals are friendly enough, but anywhere that has lapse law enforcement is always a problem.

Personal security should always be at the forefront and easy access to firearms, pour standard of living, political unrest and lack of enforcement all add up to a problem.

Dear All,

I'm planning on going to Morocco but hadn't realised how difficult it would be to find an insurer who would provide temporary cover (my insurer, like most, doesn't cover Morocco)!

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Many thanks.

Richard Abrahams
I insure with NFU, they offer an unlimited length green card for Morocco as long as you can give them the dates. It is 3rd Party only though

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back