Insurance Europe 90 Days

Our renewal comes up 1st December. Dreading it, as Nationwide Flex plus is now covered by Aviva. First enquiry showed £60 for wife's single statin, previously £0, so what my extra will be (80, 5 prior problems ) I hate to imagine. I hope it won't be as much as the quote I got from Goodtogo insurance: one 90 day trip, £1553. Staysure wouldn't quote.

One thing's for sure: we'll pay what it takes, if we can, to get 3 months out of the UK winter!

A couple of years ago Staysure said they would cover me, even though I was waiting to see a neurologist. The big no-no was that because of this they wouldn't cover me for any pre-existing conditions.
I was waiting to see a neurologist because a nerve in my leg was damaged during surgery. This meant they wouldn't cover me for asthma. Asthma kills, therfore no special holiday.😾

I hope it's not too late to cancel your insurance without loss Penny. Stick to France where they don't yet insist on insurance alongside whatever the EHIC is called these days.
Thank you we have cancelled it’s within the 14 days didn’t know about France Sharon. We normally declare for me Ron has nothing. Back to the drawing board and sucking eggs ;)

We always just winged it with just the EHIC card often for up to six months. I have yet to put the new GHIC card to the test but there was hardly a year went by when we didnt use the EHIC card in Europe and it worked really well. I dare say there would be a situation where it might not but certainly in the past it did.

We always just winged it with just the EHIC card often for up to six months. I have yet to put the new GHIC card to the test but there was hardly a year went by when we didnt use the EHIC card in Europe and it worked really well. I dare say there would be a situation where it might not but certainly in the past it did.
so would I if I was a bleedin sprog like you two am.

I've tried to find a list of countries where insurance is not mandatory, but information is vague and mostly from companies trying to sell you insurance.

"Under Britain’s new agreement with the EU, UK residents’ rights to emergency and medically necessary healthcare will continue when travelling in the EU. This includes medically necessary treatment for a pre-existing or chronic condition."

If it's not an emergency or medically necessary then would I be concerned? I suppose the problem comes if you have something requiring repatriation to the UK, but I'm having problems thinking what that might be.

I've tried to find a list of countries where insurance is not mandatory, but information is vague and mostly from companies trying to sell you insurance.

"Under Britain’s new agreement with the EU, UK residents’ rights to emergency and medically necessary healthcare will continue when travelling in the EU. This includes medically necessary treatment for a pre-existing or chronic condition."

If it's not an emergency or medically necessary then would I be concerned? I suppose the problem comes if you have something requiring repatriation to the UK, but I'm having problems thinking what that might be.

Mrs D is under strict instructions that if I croak while abroad to just build a funeral pyre on top of an Alp somewhere or give me a Viking funeral in the blow up Kayak. :D She's an accountant by trade so for sure she will find someway to avoid paying anything for my demise should it happen on a long trip.

Anyone who relies purely on the EHIC is gambling. Certainly it is useful for basic personal accident or sickness, but people should consider beyond the basic broken bones and sickness type of claim needed.

An example within my greater family circle. Elderly parent in very good health, both mentally and physically playing golf several times every week.

Suffers a stroke in Portugal. Requires long stay in hospital with husband having to find accommodation and associated costs of living to be with wife. Children need to fly out on a rota basis to support both parents.

Eventually after a few weeks she is flown home in private plane with medical staff accompanying as not fit enough or permitted to fly commercial airline.
I don't know the associated costs, but assume they would be substantial.

The papers are full of sad faced individuals appealing for money to help repatriate their family members who have had the misfortune to fall ill or have accidents abroad and have either invalidated their insurance or carry none at all.

Even a death becomes complicated if you need the body repatriated.

Davy
Dead right about repatriating a body.

I'm pretty sure for France at least, insurance to cover repatriating a body has been a requirement. Neither EHIC or GHIC cover/covered that, so I assume travel insurance has always been needed.

Only time I ever bothered with additional insurance was for skiing holidays, but since finding out the above I do get insurance.

Dead right about repatriating a body.

I'm pretty sure for France at least, insurance to cover repatriating a body has been a requirement. Neither EHIC or GHIC cover/covered that, so I assume travel insurance has always been needed.

Only time I ever bothered with additional insurance was for skiing holidays, but since finding out the above I do get insurance.

I'm not 100% sure but when I was looking for the requirements for the French six month visa I'm pretty certain the GHIC card is sufficient but they also want proof of funds and its a lot of money.

A couple of years ago Staysure said they would cover me, even though I was waiting to see a neurologist. The big no-no was that because of this they wouldn't cover me for any pre-existing conditions.
I was waiting to see a neurologist because a nerve in my leg was damaged during surgery. This meant they wouldn't cover me for asthma. Asthma kills, therfore no special holiday.😾

I hope it's not too late to cancel your insurance without loss Penny. Stick to France where they don't yet insist on insurance alongside whatever the EHIC is called these days.

At French border control, you may need to:

Heart attack or similar? The emergency treatment may be covered, but the repatriation flight wouldn't. And then there's the cost of the accommodation and care during the 1 month driving ban if you decide to recuperate in France and then drive home, routine medication for the heart care post-discharge etc. My 'can't think what I would need to pay' came out at £620+, and that was paring everything back to the bone in terms of expenditure!

Steve

Sad to hear about your decision Graham, it couldn't have been an easy one to make. It appears the older you get the more you are made to pay for just about everything.
Best wishes to you both.

I think that it’s quite selfish to travel without insurance or with undisclosed conditions as inevitably relatives and friends will end up meeting what can be huge bills.

I think that it’s quite selfish to travel without insurance or with undisclosed conditions as inevitably relatives and friends will end up meeting what can be huge bills.

I can assure you there is zero chance of that happening with my family. :LOL:

Back