Indicators Puzzle

Mossystone

Hi . Have a problem with the indicators on my 2011 Symbol. Everything works well , hazards and L & R indicators until the sidelights are turned on. Then we get rapid flashing of front and side indicators but nothing on the rears along with the bulb fault warning light with the warning " right or left indicator fault" depending on which is being operated.. Can't be bulbs as they are working when side/head lights are off. can't be flasher unit for same reason.
Can anyone suggest what it might be? I have dismantled the rear lamp units and all seems to be in order there.

indicator flued.png

Does sound like classic bad earth. Run temporary wires from a good earth to the rear light to prove.
All Light units dismantled and checked, no earthing problems. And no recent alterations to explain issue.
Does sound like classic bad earth. Run temporary wires from a good earth to the rear light to prove.
Have now checked everything including shutting all systems down, disconnecting battery to reboot all modules. Removing all other bulbs from light units and testing indicators in isolation. Visual and earth check of tow bar electrics.
It looks like a problem in the lighting stalk on the steering column, probably quite expensive as it is a one piece unit for lights, indicators, wipers, and cruise control, Probably beyond my capabilities, I can't even see how to get the cowling off.

i agree with Steve ,a visual check isn't enough . get a length of electric cable ,anything will do , strip a couple of inches each end and fix one end to any it of bare metal , a nut or grubscrew etc . then touch the other end against the metal of any suspect bulb .

i agree with Steve ,a visual check isn't enough . get a length of electric cable ,anything will do , strip a couple of inches each end and fix one end to any it of bare metal , a nut or grubscrew etc . then touch the other end against the metal of any suspect bulb .
I used a multimeter to check continuity and earth throughout. No earthing issues found.
If weather and time permits tomorrow I will do as you suggest.
ps All bulbs are fine and working both in situ and individually.

Check that the engine is earthed properly. It is a very well-known issue with the X250 and can cause all sorts of spurious issues.

I am presuming, of course, that the base vehicle is a Ducato...

I had a similar problem with a Peugeot car, which turned out to be the stalk on the steering column. It might be worth checking the multi plug connectors under the bonnet and under the vehicle. There should be one possibly under the vehicle towards the rear (for all of the rear lights).

And the other end of the earth wire?
I fitted another flying earth lead . still the same result.
Check that the engine is earthed properly. It is a very well-known issue with the X250 and can cause all sorts of spurious issues.

I am presuming, of course, that the base vehicle is a Ducato...
Thats an interesting one . Will go to that next. It is a boxer.

Becoming more convinced that it must be in the control stalk on the steering column. Replacement unit £400 OUCH,

I fitted another flying earth lead . still the same result.

Thats an interesting one . Will go to that next. It is a boxer.

Becoming more convinced that it must be in the control stalk on the steering column. Replacement unit £400 OUCH,
could be poor contacts if you are lucky? move the switches to all positions repeatedly a few times in quick succession and see if that cleans the surfaces up (bit like you might do on on old radio volume control to stop it crackling).
worth a shot and it is £0.00 to do :)

a bit cheaper but check the part number as they have different stalks depending on vehicle spec.

could be poor contacts if you are lucky? move the switches to all positions repeatedly a few times in quick succession and see if that cleans the surfaces up (bit like you might do on on old radio volume control to stop it crackling).
worth a shot and it is £0.00 to do :)
Yes I keep trying that in the hope it might cure itself.
a bit cheaper but check the part number as they have different stalks depending on vehicle spec.

Thanks for these . Still working out how to get into the steering column cowling. unfortunately my unit is the most complicated involving lights, washers and cruise control. doesn't look like they can be split.
Has anyone managed to remove the steering column cowls? found two torx screws I can get to but two more lower down seem impossible with my limited tool kit.

Yes I keep trying that in the hope it might cure itself.

Thanks for these . Still working out how to get into the steering column cowling. unfortunately my unit is the most complicated involving lights, washers and cruise control. doesn't look like they can be split.
Has anyone managed to remove the steering column cowls? found two torx screws I can get to but two more lower down seem impossible with my limited tool kit.
I don't know how you would do this on the ducato, but I had a look at the stalk sets on eBay and it looks like a very similar setup to a set I replaced on my VW T5 when I needed to upgrade them

If if is the same process, you need to remove the steering wheel, and then you can pull the whole pre-built stalk set up the column and then drop in the replacement.
And a critical thing is to remove the steering wheel, you need to remove the centre Air Bag - and that can be a tricky process that requires great care! (I've removed a few to get to the stalks on the VW and on Toyotas and every time it was not fun!).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back