Imitation Turf

saxonborg

Does anybody have any experience of it’s use as a barrier mat to dry/clean big muddy paws before said muddy paws enter your motorhome or home?

Basically we do what @Robmac said above.

We have taught our pooch "washpaws" so when we return home she trots quietly to the shower for a spray down as required. (Note, we do live in a bungalow with hard flooring). The system also works when in the van.

We have carpeted our van with Flotex. It's fitted in three pieces so the piece nearest the door can be easily lifted and washed down outside; a good second line of defence against muddy paws should the other lines be breached!

We have a dog bag. No idea what they are really called but it has a velcro collar and zip up back. Open it up, put now grumpy doggie in, zip it up and wait. Dog dries, mud collects in the fleece material and is sort of ok.

It worked well enough last week when we spent 4 days / 3 nights walking about the muddy woods South of Dumfries.

However, parked up at lunchtime today and I saw a dog walker with what looked like a 10 liter bottle with a hand pump to pressurise it with air and a spray nozzles being used to wash doggie...
So there are many solutions other than AstroTurf...
Cheers,
-G

Seen the micro fibre dog bag at the NEC, very expensive though, wife handy with sowing machine, so 2 large micro fibre towels from b&m stitched together into sack like shape, bit of pull cord around the top for said dogs neck to go through, place wet/muddy mutt in for around 30 minutes, comes out dry and clean amazing, mind you mutt looks very sorry for himself with head sticking out of said bag😆

10 liter bottle with a hand pump to pressurise it with air and a spray nozzles being used to wash doggie..
That sounds like a product called the Mud Daddy. No doubt there will be other similar models.

But I wanted to say, particularly at this time of year, washing mud off your dog is believed to help reduce the risk of the fatal disease CRGV, also known as Alabama Rot. To see whether you are in a high risk area, there's a map here -

We carried a 12 volt shower unit which could plug in to the external power point. We never needed to use it on a trip but it has been used on our front lawn after a dog walk. Usually to wash off Fox poo which smells 'orrible to humans but like Chanel to dogs. :giggle:

From memory we should have 2 or even 3 of those Doggy Bags. We got them for the Whippets a good while back but hardly used them. I think one is unused. I might stick them on here for sale (if I can find them).

You could consider using one of these:

The mats are fantastic. They're rubber backed and washable and last forever. You could place one on the ground outside the van as required.

They can be made to measure and I have a runner on the floor secured by press studs.

We have tried the mud Daddy wash which was good. We have tried all kinds of mats. The artificial grass outside helps a bit but rain tends to collect on it. The bath mats work best as easily washed and you can get them in all sorts of colours. I’ve also started putting a puppy pad on top of the mat for him to stand on when he comes through the door which really helps soak most of it up. Works for Husbands with muddy boots as well and The puppy training pad can then be used to wipe muddy boots down if needed.

@Jeanette Green is right about bath mats. They are thicker than towels so absorb a lot more of the muck & moisture.

I’ve got a stash of old towels which also do the job with muddy/wet animals.

Both options easily washed.

The Dirt Trapper and Hug Rugs are very practical and good if you want something that looks a bit ‘posher’ than bath mats and towels. Hug rugs also wash easily, I swear by them in the house as you walk straight into our kitchen from the front door and they work a treat. But the washing machine is only a few feet away too, completely different situation from dealing with mucky stuff when you’re away living in campers 😉

Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back