Husband and Insurance

lthoel2

Could anyone give me any advice please. Totally heartbroken that my husband passed away on Thursday. Not the virus , I found him collapsed in the garden and the paramedics worked on him for 40min to no avail. Im now on the merry go round of sorting everything out. Car and it’s insurance no problem sorted. His beloved motorhome is another problem. To start with I don’t drive. It had disability tax on it which won’t be once I’ve rung DVLA so
I was having it put on the drive and sorn it till I can get my head round what to do. That’s we’re the problem starts I rang AIB and have been told to keep it insured in Tonys name and to keep on with the monthly premiums which I now can’t afford. I asked if the premium could be reduced at all, apparently not in the middle of the contract, which was only taken out on the 27th March
It doesn’t seem right that it can still be insured in is name but not be here. I always thought it was the person on the documents that was insured which can’t be if he’s not here. Asked about reduction for it not being used and was told it could only be reduced to 1500miles and it would only be reduced by £9.99.
Im afraid by then I was in floods of tears and ended the phone call.
Anyone have any suggestions please.

Sorry to hear this.

Tad insensitive from AIB to say the least....

I wonder if you can cancel that policy and start your own fire and theft (no driving) somewhere else. Or can someone else insure it for you on a laid up basis?

I know it's all a bit early, but if you think your plan is to sell it maybe get an advert up as soon as possible. Do you have anyone who can help with that? What area are you?

Last edited:
Thanks,not even thought about what to do yet. Wouldn’t have thought anyone would want to buy a motorhome at this time. My brother lives with us. Do you know if he could insure it on that basis without him actually owning it. I live in Derbyshire

Thanks,not even thought about what to do yet. Wouldn’t have thought anyone would want to buy a motorhome at this time. My brother lives with us. Do you know if he could insure it on that basis without him actually owning it. I live in Derbyshire

People are still buying things, easier in England at the moment, hence my question.

You'll probably have to register it in your brothers name, but it's not a big deal. You can do it online.

Hi, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss and also your problems.
I have a friend who is at the moment looking to buy a motorhome depending on the make, model, age and layout. By the way we are in Staffordshire.
If you are upto it, would you like to PM me with the details and I can pass them on and see.
PJ

We too are sorry for your loss, but one thing that worries me is being told by AIB to keep the van insured in your husbands name. I’m sure that can’t be legal, it’s sounds fraudulent to me. Nothing can be insured by someone who doesn’t exist! ( sorry)
I would be inclined to cancel the insurance and sorn it till you decide on the best course of action.
I’m pretty sure, if you want to sell it, you will find a buyer, even now. It looks like restrictions will be lifted shortly and campsites will be open again, and people will be looking for motorhomes again.

Ok thanks will look into it
Also very sorry to hear your news.
But don't be to much rush to sorn it as you've 10 days before the end of the month and if your selling it you may need to have it driven. If your brother has a licence change the insurance to him. Don't sound like AIB are going to be very helpful so you'll probably have a fee to pay. What ever you decide Do It in your own time don't be in a Hurry

I think I would cancel the insurance first of all for the reasons Snapster gives. I would also be inclined to cancel the monthly payments TBH until this is resolved (maybe drop a question to these people to check what is right and what is not? https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/insurance/motor-insurance)
Then find an insurer where you can go on either a month-by-month basis or where they will allow cancellation on a pro-rata rate.
A vehicle can certainly be insured by someone who is neither the owner or the registered keeper (my car is currently insured by my OH and not by me).

I'm sorry to hear your news.

You have done the correct thing to advise AIB. They are brokers and I'm sure they will in turn advise the insurance company.

I assume that the vehicle is now insured in the name of your husband's estate which I imagine is permissible and legal.

The DVLA should be able to do the same but I would call them and seek advice.

I would advise most strongly against cancelling the insurance. Even if it is not being driven it is at risk of theft, damage or fire.

If the van is parked off the road claim the road tax back in his name to pay the insurance.

If it is sorned it doesn't have to be insured so why is AIB telling you to keep it insured in your husband's name, I doubt you could claim if anything happened to it so it doesn't make sense, as David says the Insurance Ombudsman will point you in the right direction, if you have RAC breakdown cover you have legal cover and they will give you advice or even represent you in court, AIB doesn't do themselves any favours sometimes, ring them and ask to speak to Darren

Keep it insured against fire and theft but do sorn it,dont change name in log book as one more owner,leave as is until estate is sorted,sorry for your loss and all the nonsense to trouble you,it happens to us all in life and time will help,look after your self ,keep calm as it will take time to get your head sorted.

Close the Bank Account or cancel the DD to AIB and tell AIB their client is no longer able to pay. Transfer the ownership of the vehicle into your name [ Have a look here ] . You should then be in a position to insure it for third party, fire and theft with no road use. Try someone like NFU Chichester or just leave it on the driveway and take the risk. You can always immobilise it so it won't start. Lot of people on here will tell you exactly what to do. Even just taking the starter battery out will help.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss. Hope you get it sorted. My mum died just before Christmas so I know what a minefield it is.

I too would like to add my condolences, your head must be all over the place at the moment, such a shock for you. I won't offer any advice as I think there is enough for you to digest at the moment.
Once you get this initial stuff out of the way, do come back for any help or advice, there will be many on here willing to help where they can.

I’m so sorry for your loss. You must be reeling :(

To be honest, I wouldn’t change the ownership of the vehicle just yet... it could complicate things unnecessarily and just add another owner to the log book. It might depend on whether you need to get probate not as to whether you can sell the motorhome straight away. See if you can get some expert advice on all that sort of thing so you know where you stand.

When my husband died a few years back, AIB transferred the insurance into my name and it just carried on until normal renewal time. Different circumstances I know because I had no intention of giving up the motorhome. If you really can’t afford to keep the insurance going for a while in your name, then I’d be inclined to cancel the policy, ask for advice on immobilising the motorhome and SORN it, so you can deal with it when you’re ready. If you don’t SORN it, you legally have to have insurance now, even if the vehicle isn’t used. The easiest option would be if there’s any way you can keep the policy going for just a month or so, to give you a chance to concentrate on the million other things you’ll find you need to do at the moment. Or maybe delegate the task of selling the motorhome to your brother or a good friend? So many people will offer their help along with their condolences... let them help. It’ll take the pressure off you and make them feel better that there’s something practical they can do for you. The suggestion to put the motorhome details on here is a good one... it might be exactly what another member is looking for and be a simple solution to another burden. When you‘re ready to think about it, maybe your brother can organise some photos for you but put it on the back burner if you can.

Again, I’m so very sorry you’re going through all this. You’ll be running on adrenaline for a while but be kind to yourself and take all the time you need if you can... don’t try to keep all the plates spinning at once. Big hugs to you xx

I am so sorry for your loss and sending my condolences to you I like izwozral will not give you advice just my sincere condolences and thoughts

I am very sorry for your loss and send my condolences.
If the motorhome is on finance you should keep it insured, you should speak to a manager at aib as I think what you got told is wrong as all assets of your husband will go into his estate.
Do not let the bank sort this out as they charge a fortune.
If there is a will you should follow his request.
Go to citizens advice for help.

I am very sorry for your loss and send my condolences.
If the motorhome is on finance you should keep it insured, you should speak to a manager at aib as I think what you got told is wrong as all assets of your husband will go into his estate.
Do not let the bank sort this out as they charge a fortune.
If there is a will you should follow his request.
Go to citizens advice for help.
Really sorry for your loss, very difficult times, i had a number of problems when my father passed and felt overwhelmed by the whole situation, however Citizens Advice really helped in providing me with all the information i required to move forward as stated above.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back