how you got your name

I spend time doing voluntary work in the Gambia every year and our van would be called a Gelleh gelleh there.
Cari

I used to keep and breed tropical frogs - up until my daughter was born i had over 100 frogs of nearly 30 species.

I bet a lot of you worked this one out

but in the old days when there were fish in the sea....I use to fish from the beach.

barry

I was stuck for a name till I thought of my daughters who at the time ran a pub called The Vine.

Wanted something "short & snappy" so "Chip" seemed appropiate. He was our much loved Yorkshire Terrier who travelled everywhere with us until his sad demise last year.

Hahaha good post. I have multiple forum names, mainly because some were not available at the time of joining and my others are obvious chosen by me. However my adopted nickname which happens to be this forums alias came from a group of friends i used to share a house with. Most weekend mornings i would be first up, usually with a hangover head downstairs and decide that it was a good time to do the dishes, promptly smash a few accidentally. As this was a relatively frequent occurance and due to my second name being Harmer they started saying "Look out Harmergeddon's in the kitchen!"

Im now called the Mothman, name changed because it seemed fitting after i was savagley attacked by a gang of moths hanging around the bushes this assult came as a result of them wanting my bling yes they was after my new gadget tourch hat,i did not think these rurul moths normally so kind in there country ways could behave in such a way, it only took one look from the big one then POW!!!!! they all joined in BIF!! BOF!! KAPOW!!!! one flutter after another did i suffer from these dusty crawling little flapping maniac Barstools:mad1::mad1::mad1: i was lucky to of got away with my life i recon,,,

This was the leader,,,,
Moth1.jpg

Last edited:
I have been an entertainer since 1959 and during the late sixties took up DJing. Because I am well built, an aquintance, that whenever he saw me shouted "It's the Big Bopper" gave me the idea to use it as my stage name. So because I am a Brian, the two became a natural for a username. The only thing is.... because I was on local radio as The Big Bopper for 17 years there are a lot of people on the blogs I'm on; know who I am instantly.

Mine came about when I was signing up to thois site. I obviousely wanted Donkey. but they said that was already taken so I said I wanted to be donkey too.

I got my same name from a film too....Into the wild...highly reccomend it.....No need to apologise, there is room for many rubbertramps up and down the highways and byways:wave:

Hi Rubbertramp, saw your mention of that film Into The Wild...where he ended up dying camped out in that old school bus on the Stampede Trail by Healey in central Alaska...well my wife and I ended up living for 15 years just north of there in Fairbanks, hence my moniker - Alaska Guy. We all remember it well, it was a tragic story that we heard first hand from the people involved in bringing his body out. The film did him justice as a true free spirit, just such a shame he didn't get some advice from the locals before he set out.

guydoug@live.co.uk

Hi Rubbertramp, saw your mention of that film Into The Wild...where he ended up dying camped out in that old school bus on the Stampede Trail by Healey in central Alaska...well my wife and I ended up living for 15 years just north of there in Fairbanks, hence my moniker - Alaska Guy. We all remember it well, it was a tragic story that we heard first hand from the people involved in bringing his body out. The film did him justice as a true free spirit, just such a shame he didn't get some advice from the locals before he set out.

guydoug@live.co.uk

Sorry folks, didn't mean to post such a downer on such a fun thread! Some of you sound rather ....interesting...wonder what happens when alcohol is added??

guydoug@live.co.uk

Hi Guy.... Yes, both the film and the book had a profound effect on me....Chris had it all yet was only really happy when he was penniless. He had some wonderful adventures both in Alaska and before he went and watching them and reading about them made my heart soar. When I read about the cable car just upstream from where he crossed the Teklanika River and that he could have escaped....I groaned out loud...he was so unprepared! I'll bet the locals thought he was foolish.
I'd like to do something similar one day...."just make do with nothing but your hands and your head"

A very young, ex girlfriend chose mine when we lived in a converted Bedford ambulance together.
My birthday is Halloween… Lived in an ambulance…?
Hence Witchdoctor…. She was Night-nurse.
(It’s still also our CB handles.)​

not especially good with computers,memory not what it was, so i thought i would choose something i"m not likely to forget, born and lived in god"s own county all my life. By the way good idea for a post, i must admit i"ve been curious about some usernames.

And there's me thinking that you were probably from Welsh Wales Boyo Isn't It Look You... lol

Hi Guy.... Yes, both the film and the book had a profound effect on me....Chris had it all yet was only really happy when he was penniless. He had some wonderful adventures both in Alaska and before he went and watching them and reading about them made my heart soar. When I read about the cable car just upstream from where he crossed the Teklanika River and that he could have escaped....I groaned out loud...he was so unprepared! I'll bet the locals thought he was foolish.
I'd like to do something similar one day...."just make do with nothing but your hands and your head"

I know we are a bit off thread (can we do messages through this forum??) but the idea of making do is exactly what happened to us when we had just arrived in Fairbanks. We ended up living in a derelict log cabin outside town and just scraped through a really cold and deep-snow winter. I actually passed out from exhaustion across the top of my chainsaw in minus 40F on Xmas Day 1992 - I had to keep dragging in dead birch trees from the woods through 4 feet of snow, cutting trench-trails for hundreds of yards to do so. Luckily the chainsaw stalled and I came around before I got frostbitten. We did not think Chris was foolish, just unlucky.

If you are ever up this way in west berks, let me know. Got space to park.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back