How to set up TV

V1nny

Excuse my ignorance and I’m sorry if this is a stupid question.

We changed our van yesterday and the new one has a satellite dish and two tv points. I managed to fit our old Avtex tv to the wall mount, but when I tried to plug in the aerial lead I noticed the connection is different to a standard tv point. A lead came with the van but the connection seems to be some coax (?) cable with a fitting that screws on to a connection on the wall, similar to the connections on a Sky box.

Do I need to get a new satellite ready tv, a satellite box, or is there an adapter I can get to convert the co-ax to an aerial lead.

Excuse my ignorance and I’m sorry if this is a stupid question.

We changed our van yesterday and the new one has a satellite dish and two tv points. I managed to fit our old Avtex tv to the wall mount, but when I tried to plug in the aerial lead I noticed the connection is different to a standard tv point. A lead came with the van but the connection seems to be some coax (?) cable with a fitting that screws on to a connection on the wall, similar to the connections on a Sky box.

Do I need to get a new satellite ready tv, a satellite box, or is there an adapter I can get to convert the co-ax to an aerial lead.
This is what you need

You said you have a satellite dish but does the new van also have a terrestrial aerial? if not the 'F' connector (which is usually for a satellite connection) means you could need a satellite box or a TV with a satellite input and putting an adapter on the F connector will not work.
Is the satellite dish a manual or motorised system? if it is an automatic dish what make is it?
The more info you give will help to get better advice

Good spot @Tezza33, reading op again I think I misunderstood as my van came with the f connectors on the booster box 👍

Some aerial boosters have co-ax, some have the screw-in F connectors (my original one was co-ax. Bought a new one and it was screw-in).
It is unusual for an TV Aerial connector at the point you connect it to the TV to be a screw-in one unless that is going to the Sat Dish, so that would suggest you do need a Sat box, or a satellite-ready TV. Some Avtex TVs have box Freeview (aerial) and Freesat (sat dish) inputs, but if yours doesn't, then box needed.

I don't know for sure, but I would have thought it also unusual that there is no TV Aerial? Maybe the sat dish was fitted in replacement? Some people love the dishes, others find them a right pain. I guess it depends what camp you think you would be to how you resolve best way to go?

You said you have a satellite dish but does the new van also have a terrestrial aerial? if not the 'F' connector (which is usually for a satellite connection) means you could need a satellite box or a TV with a satellite input and putting an adapter on the F connector will not work.
Is the satellite dish a manual or motorised system? if it is an automatic dish what make is it?
The more info you give will help to get better advice
I can’t see a tv aerial on the roof or normal Tv points inside.

The satellite dish is motorised. I think it is a factory fitted, automatic Oyster system, but I don’t have any handbooks for it.

The satellite dish is motorised. I think it is a factory fitted, automatic Oyster system, but I don’t have any handbooks for it.
All of the handbooks are online, just google oyster satellite instruction manuals, there are lots to choose from.

If you don’t want to have an external tv aerial installed the Avtex aerial with booster has a good reputation.

If you don’t want to have an external tv aerial installed the Avtex aerial with booster has a good reputation.

I bought one of these and it is brilliant, much better than the status roof aerials I have tried

I bought one of these and it is brilliant, much better than the status roof aerials I have tried
I have just ordered one. I will compare it with my current directional aerial. If it’s as good as is reported I will use it on my new van being supplied next year. This will save money, and free up some space on the roof for solar. If it’s not as good I will sell it. I will post how I get on.

Oyster satellite dishes require a control box (AFAIK) and if you haven't got one it will not be cheap
If you are not wanting to watch TV in Europe I personally would remove it and either use the aerial already suggested by Nabsim or use a firestick or similar if you have unlimited internet

Oyster satellite dishes require a control box (AFAIK) and if you haven't got one it will not be cheap
If you are not wanting to watch TV in Europe I personally would remove it and either use the aerial already suggested by Nabsim or use a firestick or similar if you have unlimited internet
Even if only wanting to watch TV in the UK, bear in mind that some locations have no terrestrial TV or mobile signal (a few places that I visited recently in Scotland spring to mind) but if you have a clear view of the sky on the requisite bearing then you can still get TV using satellite.

I find I only use my firestick for streaming now, as the live tv channel is only available through subscription.

I have ordered an adapter for the lead I’ve got, which should arrive midweek. I will try that and see if I get any reception and report back.

Thanks for all the information

are you sure your Avtex does not have a sat connection, mine does it has both sat and terrestrial

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back