How to set up TV

I have been testing the avtex aerial on my current Arran trip, and it has proved to be as good as my roof mounted directional vision plus aerial. I got the chance to test it at a location were only vertical reception is possible. I have found that for normal horizontal signals it works better upright, but for vertical (local) signals it worked better horizontally. What is important is it’s pointing as accurately as possible in the correct direction. The only thing I can’t trust is will it work as well internally in a metal van conversion.
I have an Avtex aerial and moho is aluminium skinned, The aerial does work sometimes inside but I think it depends on the strength of the signal.

A firestick will use an amp.

I would say a Firestick may draw up to an amp when connected to the mains charger supplied when performing system software updates. Most of the time it’s less than 0.5amp and most tv’s will only supply 0.5amp.

Having said that, I’ve been running my Firestick through an Avtex tv powered by the sound bar for ages now without any problems as I’m sure many people have. A decent cable helps apparently, but by powering a Firestick this way or from the tv, you run the risk of ‘bricking’ it due to a lack of power during the odd times it wants more power and doesn’t get it.

No idea how I managed to put my response inside Fisherman’s quote, but there you are, must be the underpowered Firestick 🤣😉

This cable gets around the low power supply problem
71oU276k3eL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Seems a good option, however in most cases (apparently after reading reviews on Amazon) and with our situation, there really is no need to waste your money on such a device, that’s why the mains plug supplied has a detachable usb lead to plug straight into your tv or sound bar.

Ours is powered from our sound bar in the van and at home we have one powered from the tv. No issues regarding updates etc. As previously mentioned decent cables may help keep things ticking along nicely.

Worse case scenario - fire stick becomes bricked………loads of YouTube videos to counter that!

I have just had the avtex aerial delivered today. I have tried it out on my drive with good results. My status directional aerial got 108 channels, and so did the avtex aerial which cost just £35. It’s a bit of a faff setting it up, but once set up it works perfect. The best way to use it is to try tuning it in from a set position. Once tuned in try moving it about the van till you get the best reception, then retune. If this gives me more roof space for solar on the new van it’s well worth considering. I will be heading to Arran next month, I will try it out there, and report back.
Remember you will have to retune as you move from transmitter to new transmitter, some are vertical and others horizontal, all are not on the same freq.

Remember you will have to retune as you move from transmitter to new transmitter, some are vertical and others horizontal, all are not on the same freq.
This aerial works with both vertical and horizontal signals trev. I have tested it in various locations. But I wonder how it will perform in a metal van, as my next van will be a van conversion. I will be trying it out in my mates camper in the next week or so.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back