How to apply engine paint?

Usually 60/40 ish split front to rear....

And USUALLY the front that will go due to greater effort....

Stopping 3.5 ton vehicle in an emergency using just the rears ain't my idea of fun let alone IF its a diagonal split system so only one front and one rear.

Brake fail/suspension/steering component fail often crosses my mind as I travel....
Unfortunately usually on the hilly bits
Most 4 pot calipers do a cross, so 2 pistons each side and one rear, well thats how soda do it, the rest may wish to follow. 😂
I remember my h imp bursting a pipe, no brakes at all as single line and only h brake, large laundry that night.:(

All brakes in the last 40 years are duel line, so if a pipe busts the either you will have front or rears, old skoda 130 and 136 coup had twin cross over brakes, two cyl front and one rears doubled on 4 pot calipers, very few vans have crossover but all duel line which will slow you down.
This happened on a Toyota Hilux and the pedal hit the floor..

I fixed many soda 105/120 salons which folk were driving which had the rear brake seal in the m cyl defective so in fact they were only getting fronts, easy to spot as the pedal went down half way with a slight pop, new cyl £80, seals about £4.

I think any MOT personnel would fail painted pipes anyway.
If you can’t see it you can’t fail it. Pass and advise. Clean and grease brake pipes was the old trick as the MOT tester wouldn’t want to get dirty cleaning the grease off to check them and would have to pass and advise.

I'm new to engine work;

Photos show brake pipes that were showing corrosion so I tidied them with 800 emery paper. I've bought some engine paint spray but I'm hoping for advice on how to treat the underside of the pipes please as I cant spray. Is a little paintbrush my only option?

Thanks

View attachment 100686
Just change them. I had advisory on my car. Admit didn't think too much about it.
When car was moved in paint shop ( bus tried to crush me!) Brakes failed, fluid all over floor.
Dread to think what might have happened.

Not wiping or poking stuff during MOT is a bit of a silly idea I think. I seem to recall they used to give a good poke with a screw driver whack in the 70’s at anything they thought may be corroded. I forgot to replace the oil filler cap on mine a year or so back and of course the engine/engine bay got a good coating of oil which also rand down to other things.
This years MOT put an advisory on for brake pipes, I know mine are okay and advisory isn’t a problem but a devious person could easily use this to pass on something that is dangerous.

Regarding yours replace as already said 👍

Not wiping or poking stuff during MOT is a bit of a silly idea I think. I seem to recall they used to give a good poke with a screw driver whack in the 70’s at anything they thought may be corroded. I forgot to replace the oil filler cap on mine a year or so back and of course the engine/engine bay got a good coating of oil which also rand down to other things.
This years MOT put an advisory on for brake pipes, I know mine are okay and advisory isn’t a problem but a devious person could easily use this to pass on something that is dangerous.

Regarding yours replace as already said 👍
This in what an MOT tester can use to poke holes in your sills, scrape your brake pies or tap your chassis. Corrosion assessment tool.
F9DABA55-C021-4DB8-B582-8B9E9DC6BD79.jpeg

The tester is restricted to using pretty gentle assessment including the test tool above...

Screenshot_20210805-150631_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210805-150703_Chrome.jpg

The days of stories of testers poking holes with screwdrivers are mostly myth or from the distant past....

Frankly IF they can poke holes in it.... It needs dealing with...
Some folks seem have little idea of just how much sills and suchlike contribute to the strength of a monocoque car.

Use a screwdriver here, took half my sill of skoda last time, no mercy shown.

Do you come under different mot test regulation where you are then Trev?
Yes gove run as there is no way it could be private as gangsters would be taking backhanders, some rules and regs are stiffer here than on mainland.

Yes gove run as there is no way it could be private as gangsters would be taking backhanders, some rules and regs are stiffer here than on mainland.
Fair play....
Though its got to be said IF you can get a screw driver through it... It's deff toast and time to repair

Have you ever thought about applying for a job with your local tourist board....

You paint such a lovely picture of where you live?

What we used to do in the army back in the sixties was to mix thick oil or grease with petrol and spray or paint it on the offending area which it seems to protect wonderfully well but a wipe will remove it for inspection. Last year, I did that to my slightly rusty sump at the suggestion of the MOT mechanic and there is no mention of a problem this year. On the brake pipes the oily look might appear to be a leak or might disguise a leak, beware.

I'm new to engine work;

Photos show brake pipes that were showing corrosion so I tidied them with 800 emery paper. I've bought some engine paint spray but I'm hoping for advice on how to treat the underside of the pipes please as I cant spray. Is a little paintbrush my only option?

Thanks

View attachment 100686
I use etch primer** painted on, use a piece if cardboard to limit were your paint goes if you want it to look neat, then a coat of Leyland Direct to Metal Black, on brake pipes and undervehicle unpainted or lightly painted steel and alloy. Its important to wash down and degrease ** before application, ** tin of panel wipe, seek out your local independent autopaint supplier ..🙂

Its easy to make and fit your own new brake pipes - the copper pipe is easy to bend and if you get one of these tools, the flares are dead easy to make too - just remember to put the fitting on first....

Its easy to make and fit your own new brake pipes - the copper pipe is easy to bend and if you get one of these tools, the flares are dead easy to make too - just remember to put the fitting on first....
I don’t think brake pipes are a DIY thing. They need to be made up and fitted correctly and routing is very important too. Some things are best left to the professionals especially brakes.

I don’t think brake pipes are a DIY thing. They need to be made up and fitted correctly and routing is very important too. Some things are best left to the professionals especially brakes.
I disagree, brake pipes are quite an easy job assuming you are reasonably practical and use a proper flaring tool as suggested. Bleeding the brakes afterwards often takes longer than making/fitting the pipe.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back