How much???? Motorhome MPG

Lunar Premier H592 on a Renault Master 120DCI. Engine remapped five weeks ago. Touring Europe at the moment checked the last fortnight's consumption - 31.8mpg. I'm happy with that.
Pat

Iveco Daily 45c13, self build conversion with 2.8 HDI limited to 56mph, returns 35 MPG. More than happy with that

We found by driving at 50-55 mph and driving steady we got 27 mpg out of our transit auto sleeper, but then had trouble with the egr valve. Had new valve fitted and mechanic said we have to drive it harder as it's not getting hot enough to burn the crap off. We now drive at 60 and drive harder and get 23mpg but no black smoke.

Just blank off the EGR and then drive steadily, blanked it off on my Diesel Alfa 3 years ago and never had any problems engine or MOT wise. :)

Interesting how many people find cruise control improves MPG. Of course, nothing about cruise control improves a vehicles efficiency, but is does have a considerable effect on driving style.

Along with that, I think (I'm sure I read this somewhere) the current way of thinking and with modern diesels is to maintain speed going up hill, rather then years ago it was considered more economical to go with the gradual reduction of speed on a hill. Cruise control will keep to the set speed until theres no more ooomphh left. Anyway, throttles on the right. ;)

I turn my CC off when it gets hilly as the fuel economy suffers.

My 1995 Tranist LWB high roof 2.5 non turbo conversion.
Last 6 months, using app on phone. Full to full and tripmeter. Using Veg Oil mixture.

Average 33.57 MPG, Best 40.24, Worst 27.6 ( towing sons caravan)

This is over 5407 miles.

Didnt realise how good it was till I read this. We have been everywhere in it over the last 5 years since retiring, mostly Wild Camping.

We found by driving at 50-55 mph and driving steady we got 27 mpg out of our transit auto sleeper, but then had trouble with the egr valve. Had new valve fitted and mechanic said we have to drive it harder as it's not getting hot enough to burn the crap off. We now drive at 60 and drive harder and get 23mpg but no black smoke.

Never heared that driving harder is cleaning the EGR. Are you sure he isn't talking about the DPF?

Hi, yes it was all gunged up where it recycles it back round again. It's a 55 plate so do not think it has a dpf filter, it's only euro 3 engine. No more black smoke so far.

Hi,

I've got an 08 plate Mercedes Sprinter 516 based Hymer A class, I'm now averaging 25mpg, on motorways travelling at 60mph, usually weighing in around 4500kg, driven fairly hard ie hard accelerations and hard braking. Best ever was 30mpg, worst ever was 18mpg. If I drive at 70mph the fuel consumption drops dramatically. There really are so many variables in mpg figures.

Graham

I have never really looked at the fuel consumption on my motorhomes, I am a relative rookie having only discovered motorhoming 2 years ago and enjoyed several holidays and weekends in the 2001 Hymer Swing with a Fiat 2.8 JTD that I bought to test the water

I am surprised you were unhappy with the fuel consumption on your original Motorhome. I have the same model as you except it is a 2002 model and I get between 26 and 29 mpg out of it. I make a point of driving between 50 - 55 mph on single roads and between 60 - 65 mph on dual carriageways and motorways. Considering the shape of the vehicle I am very happy with the economy. One thing I have noticed is that fuel economy is not so good in the winter. I check the fuel economy every time I fill up from nearly empty to full.

As an aside to this discussion early this year I topped up my tank with 66 litres of the special or performance diesel (found at some pumps) by mistake, I was livid because it was about 5p per litre more expensive, so I had wasted (as I thought) over £3. I have to say my old Motorhome performed extraordinarily, in fact it went like a bat out of hell, I was going up hills in 5th gear that I could never normally manage in 5th. My MPG improved a little also. I have always been a cynic about so called super grades of fuel and fuel additives, but I have to say I was proved wrong on this occasion.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Interestingly the last 2 times I picked up the van from storage this year, the hand brake seemed to stick on after release. A couple of shunts forward and backward released this.

So I had the brakes inspected and the pads needed to be replaced on the rear axles. One pad was down to the metal, sticky cylinder. So after replacement of the pads, there is no surprise then that the mpg imrpoved by 2mpg over the 400 miles covered last week, resulting in 26mpg average on mixed roads.

:drive::drive::drive:

Do not park it in storage with hand brake on
Put in to gear

Never a good thing to put brake on when not used for some time
It can do more damage than you think

Hope this tip helps

I agree how often does someone roar past you only for you to come up alongside them an hour later at a roundabout or set of lights,nice and steady is the answer,as an aside my 1987ex nato ambulance Merc 508 has now got the incredible total mileage of 4232 km when would you consider that an OM314 engine is' run in' I know the modern engines dont really need to be run in these days ,though I suspect most owners would take a little more care in the early ownership,but back in 1987 a good ol' agricultural non computerised engine probably did,I ask because its possible my MPG might go up to 26/27

I have a little Romahome doing 50-55 MPG @ 55 MPH on the motorway ,not sure what it's doing around town.

The Romahomes are brilliant for fuel economy.

I've just returned from 2 weeks in the Scottish Highlands and done my calculations - 56.03mpg (2L HDi) doing a lot more than 55mph on motorways and I also used a little diesel heating at night. On a mixed run, it averages about 46-47mpg but on short journeys, which I avoid, consumption would fall into the high 30's. No complaints at all :)

best MPG

London.......it's the weight of vehicle and engine type and driving steady.........I bought a 10 year old 2.3jtd fiat trigano tribute (1-5) berth in 2013, and by chance turns out to be tremendous on diesel..........up to 43mpg, and with awning and towbar......others with same model been getting same on tribby website........it's the streamlined van as well.....and diesels only about £1 a gallon in Europe.....just checked figs. Over 4000 miles.......pughed2.....bristol

I am surprised you were unhappy with the fuel consumption on your original Motorhome. I have the same model as you except it is a 2002 model and I get between 26 and 29 mpg out of it. I make a point of driving between 50 - 55 mph on single roads and between 60 - 65 mph on dual carriageways and motorways. Considering the shape of the vehicle I am very happy with the economy. One thing I have noticed is that fuel economy is not so good in the winter. I check the fuel economy every time I fill up from nearly empty to full.

As an aside to this discussion early this year I topped up my tank with 66 litres of the special or performance diesel (found at some pumps) by mistake, I was livid because it was about 5p per litre more expensive, so I had wasted (as I thought) over £3. I have to say my old Motorhome performed extraordinarily, in fact it went like a bat out of hell, I was going up hills in 5th gear that I could never normally manage in 5th. My MPG improved a little also. I have always been a cynic about so called super grades of fuel and fuel additives, but I have to say I was proved wrong on this occasion.

Has anyone else had this experience?

After testing the super diesel recently and noticing the change in my engine, quieter, more willing and easier starting I'm more than happy to pay the extra few pennies, plus I seem to get about 2MPG more which is almost 10% better, whereas the fuel is about 5% dearer.

Renault Master MPG

My Renault Master conversion has averaged 36mpg over 4000 miles in the past 9 months

Hi,

I too have converted a Renualt Mater (MM35 DCI 100). I have only been pottering at the moment a few days out but only showing 26 mpg. Hoping that will improve on a run. Can I ask what engine you have in your Master? Cheers.. Greg

DSCF4127.jpg

this old girl with no electronics,28 turbo and a low dif ratio returnes about 30 mpg at 45 mph ,hope to get same with new diff reducing reves by 890 .comming in on book at 6.4 tons altho im sure lighter now striped out.

Attachments

• PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 55
Very Happy Indeed.

Just got back from a jaunt to London and then returning via Suffolk, Norfolk and Rutland Water to Preston.

A round trip of 774.9 miles and the van returned 31.86 M.P.G. checked with filling brim to brim.

Got caught in horrendous traffic ( 1 hour stop start ) because of an accident on the M1 on the way down.

Then again for the Dartford Crossing ( 50 minutes stop start ) to get through the Pay Booths.

Then again for some Temporary Traffic Lights ( 1 hour 35 minutes to do 2 miles !!! ) on the A12 through Suffolk.

2006 Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi running at 4,020 KG checked on weigh bridge before journey.

Last edited:
Am i the only person that doesn't check what mpg i am getting,as i have never checked, it would also seem that i am the only person to do motorway speeds on the motorway eg 70 mph uk 80mph europe and maybe a little more on the autobahns

Don't normally check my fuel usage but jan had a bee in her bonnet about how expensive Italy was going to be so she wrote everything down , we got back last week and had done only 3 miles short of 4000 mls so I went to the garage the long way round and filled up, on calculating the use was very pleasantly surprised to have achieved 24.6mpg I have checked my speedo against the sat nav and it's very accurate 0.5% out ,
on the way down to Italy we were meeting a mate at Rome for a week so we made the run from Calais to Rome ( Ostia) 1280mls in 48 hrs M/way to Lyon up & over Mont Blanc m/way down to genoa and Rome 70/80 all the way, would be very surprised to have got over 20 mpg for that section after cruising round Italy came back up & over route Napoleon, I am by definition heavy footed van is a 2.3 Ducato 2007 chipped and runs really well unless the EGR valve is playing up!!!!,
Still only semi retired so time is still an issue would fully expect to get almost 30 to the gallon if I drove for it but at present the sums go 1000 mls on motorway avg 70 takes about 14hrs 2/3 days driving 20mpg, 1000mls on A class rds averaging 30 mph takes 33 hrs 10/11 days driving holiday gone,

Rarely check mine manually. Unfortunately have a digital read out, but at least I can hide it. Anyway I enjoy a bit of oommphh.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back