How much???? Motorhome MPG

Quick update on my M.P.G.

Up in Scotland at the moment, up to now we`ve covered 816.4 miles and used 128.33 Litres / 28.22 Gallons of fuel.

That works out at 28.92 M.P.G. which is very good considering we went right down the Kintyre Peninsular to Campbeltown and back bia Carradale.

Anyone that knows the area will know the roads and especially some of the hills we`ve encountered.

What engine does your van have, is it 2.8 jtd ?

2500 miles in 2 weeks, fully loaded, in Europe, including German autobahn and Austrian alpine roads- 25 mpg average for trip which was probably 70% motorway done at 120 kph as far as possible. I'm pretty happy with that - as someone else said, you have to pay for your pleasures, and mine include being able to crack on a bit when possible. Equally, if keeping it to a more sedate 90 -100 kph, nearer 30 mpg.

It compares well with my average mpg a few years ago in a Volvo estate (petrol) on the same kind of trip - OK, I could do 140+ kph in Germany when traffic allowed, but I was only getting mpg in mid to high teens.

I get around 24/25 too on a panel van. Although if i try really hard I can get less then 15MPG

you hit the nail on the head perfectly,on a recent similar thread there was a post describing motor homers having a chat around the dish washing sinks and one guy complaining he had only got very low mpg from his trip then went on to state how his van didnt miss a beat at 70/75 mph nuff said!!

I get about 35+ mpg from my mark6, SWB, transit with a 2ltr diesel engine (if I drive it carefully, no more than 60 on motorway).
I was put off buying a VW camper when I read about their bad fuel consumption.

I get 40 plus mpg out of my vw. I can also run it on veg oil 75p a liter.1.9td

My Hymer gets around 24mpg, but after my weekend trip to Brands Hatch for BSB racing I noticed one huge advantage, I don't have to crawl out of a tent in the morning looking more tired than I did when I went to bed. :)

The last two fill ups, I've only filled her up four times, I have used premium diesel and have noticed that the engine is much quieter now and seems to be more willing plus there is no black crap dripping out of the exhaust at start up.

27.4 mpg

We have just done 1400 miles touring Germany, Holland and Belgium. In our brand new Bailey 765 which weighs just short of 4 ton, we got 27.4 mpg at a constant 62 over the ground via sat nav, 68 on the speedo. I am very happy with that, and hope to improve on this in the future.

Just returned from very first wild camping trip to the lakes from Teesside.
Journey out was A66 and motorway return journey was over Pennines into Teesdale so up hill and down dale.
2.3 Ducato Swift Sundance 3.5 tonne, 370 total miles.
Using vehicle display 26 mpg, will check the old fashioned way when i fill up tomoss.
Bering in mind van has only done 800 mile from new im more than happy with mpg and expect improvement once a few a few miles on the clock.
Van performed great, 55 mph max and cruise control when possible.

I hav a 2ltr petrol ducato old f reg I coverd 183 miles 40% motorway and cost me 72pound in feul im new to this so dont know if thats good or bad

I hav a 2ltr petrol ducato old f reg I coverd 183 miles 40% motorway and cost me 72pound in feul im new to this so dont know if thats good or bad

Not good at all but it's an old petrol and a big van, its great buying a van with everything in it but some people forget about the running costs so in the end works out very expensive , I have a little Romahome doing 50-55 MPG @ 55 MPH on the motorway ,not sure what it's doing around town , if my calculations are right yours works out @ about 16 MPG , but as I said its a big petrol van .

31.9 mpg

Just checked on the last fill up 31.9 MPG, :D:D pleased with that, 2.8 JTD Low Profile,50% motorway and Round Wales Brecons.
I normally travel at 'Truck speed' on the motorway. I use the Acar app.

Mercedes 614d, turbo, 4.2, first time out last weekend and managed 21.9, but did manage 75mph heading towards Holyhead following (chasing) a red iveco conversion. Still better than my old Talbot express harmony.

We found by driving at 50-55 mph and driving steady we got 27 mpg out of our transit auto sleeper, but then had trouble with the egr valve. Had new valve fitted and mechanic said we have to drive it harder as it's not getting hot enough to burn the crap off. We now drive at 60 and drive harder and get 23mpg but no black smoke.

we have rapido 990 a class 2.2 merc 6 speed cruise control, in france, italy, spain, we have two weeks holiday and want to get there, so cruise control is set on 125 kph this brings mpg down to around 23-24 we have covered 22,000 in 18 months, scotland three times,regular runs up to cambs, south of spain twice, northern italy as far as florence and twice into the alps, all fuel bills logged onto a spread sheet and worked out against mileage, our worst mileage was spring bank last year going to the lakes m40 and m6 north were a nightmare stop start all the way, but still managed 20mpg. so our overall figure for fuel cons is 25.8mpg, i am well chuffed with this, so if you see a rapido and the driver has a big smile its because i am on hols and i am enjoying myself not worrying about fuel costs and just squeezing the pump trigger when we need a topup,
enjoy the bank holiday weekend i am on the coast near bexhill on sea, cheers andy

Swift Sundance 2.3 Euro 5 Fiat engine highline 3,500 kg, only 1300 miles on clock. Just returned from Northumberland, 320 miles in total.
Mixed roads, 27 mpg which i am extremely pleased with. Used cruise control when possible max 55 mph. I have found using the cruise control when possible gives a major boost in mpg and makes for more relaxed driving.

Interesting how many people find cruise control improves MPG. Of course, nothing about cruise control improves a vehicles efficiency, but is does have a considerable effect on driving style.

Along with that, I think (I'm sure I read this somewhere) the current way of thinking and with modern diesels is to maintain speed going up hill, rather then years ago it was considered more economical to go with the gradual reduction of speed on a hill. Cruise control will keep to the set speed until theres no more ooomphh left. Anyway, throttles on the right. ;)

We have a Hymer Classic 684 on a Fiat chasis with a 2.8 engine, we were getting about 25ish to the gallon but I noticed on our return from the European Gadabout that we only acheived 23mpg. This could possibly be due to the Bavarian Alps not being very flat! Also the aerodynamics of our bus is very similar to a house brick or a lead balloon. Your engine sounds like it just needs a bit of attention or a tune maybe.

Regards Rog.

We have been getting a consistent 25-27 mpg out of our Hymer C544 classic (2.3 JTD) over the last 6 months and usually cruise at a true 60-65 on the motorway. Thus, overcab bed does not seem to impact fuel economy too badly. It does seem the original poster may have had a problem.

Keith

Renault Trafic 115 HDI, gives 33mpg average which includes some motorway but mainly minor Scottish roads. Low profile 3250kg. Reading other replies, this seem about what you'd expect.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back