How much gas for 6 weeks in Spain?

Yep. Lets make it a tenner to your favourite charity. :D

Problem with that is I agree he will make it if he uses a lot EHU and eats out every day.

I suggest we ask him
a) How much gas did he use
b) How many days did he have no EHU and also cooked an evening meal (a slice of toast counts as an evening meal; a cuppa doesn't) in the van
Then we can calculate his gas usage per day

If it is more than 700g (700g for 45 days = 32 kg) You give £10 to my charity.
If it is less than 600 g (600g for 45 days = 27kg) I'll give £10 to your charity.

If it is between 600 and 700g we each give £10 to the others charity.

No bribery or brown envelopes allowed !!
:D

Problem with that is I agree he will make it if he uses a lot EHU and eats out every day.

I suggest we ask him
a) How much gas did he use
b) How many days did he have no EHU and also cooked an evening meal (a slice of toast counts as an evening meal; a cuppa doesn't) in the van
Then we can calculate his gas usage per day

If it is less than 600 g (600g for 45 days = 27kg) I'll give £10 to your charity.

No bribery or brown envelopes allowed !!
:D

Hmm. :D This seems to be changing the goal posts. The bet was will he run out of gas or not. I say not regardless.

Last edited:
Too many factors tbh, how much solar / battery / inverter / generator / any EHU.

But I guess the fridge will be the killer factor, even so 3x13kg bottles seems more than enough. But if it’s hot and your not driving much and have the fridge side of the van facing south with no shade?

It will be an interesting exercise in frugality compared to ours, I never kept an actual check on ours though but didn't feel we used a lot I just topped up on the sight of GPL signs.

Hmm. This seems to be changing the goal posts. The bet was will he run out of gas or not. I say not regardless.

Er No. I never said he'd run out.

Cooking - 350 ; Fridge - 400 gram per day .
So 750 g per day for 45 days = just under 34 kg. If all your cylinders are full to start with you have 39kg. So only 10% contingency.

The discussion was about how much gas he would use if he relied only on gas 45 days.

As above I said 750 g per day
You said 500g (1 litre)

Ill bet you wont even use half of it. I think thats nearly 80 litres. Reckon a litre a day maybe tops.

So I think my proposed bet is fair.
Under 600g = your charity wins; Over 700g = my charity wins; 600 - 700g = both charities win..

Attachments

• 1720900414702.png
    1720900414702.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
That is pure evil bringing in the Edmunds.

It is a sort of British version of Goodwins 'law.

Back in the day I was playing Abanazar in Aladdin and we added "Deal or No Deal" into the "New Lamps for Old" scene.

The audience response was deafening, after a couple of nights milking it the director had to impose a strict limit on how many times I could ask the audience.

This is me in character.
aabanazar.jpg

Planning a 6-week trip to Spain and wondering about gas costs? Here's a rough estimate to help you budget:

1. Distance and Fuel Consumption:
- Average fuel consumption: 6-8 liters per 100 km.
- Typical driving distance: 3000-5000 km over 6 weeks.

2. Fuel Prices:
- As of now, the average gas price in Spain is about €1.50 per liter.

3. Calculation:
- If you drive 4000 km with an average consumption of 7 liters/100 km, you'll need about 280 liters of fuel.
- Total cost: 280 liters * €1.50/liter = €420.

This is a rough estimate and actual costs may vary based on your vehicle's efficiency, driving habits, and the exact routes you take.

To make your travel experience even better, consider using Explurger ! It's a social travel app that not only helps you log your journeys and share your experiences but also offers features like an automatic travelogue and a bucket list to make your trip more exciting and memorable. Happy travels!
Thanks for your calculations, but when I said “gas”, I was referring to propane gas consumption when off grid for refrigeration, cooking and hot water

I also assumed off grid .

Can I have a bet that he ends up buying gas?

Hope he remembers to tell us how he gets on.
It’s 1.26am on Day 27 and the first 13kg bottle has just run out.

We have had one night on ehu, but apart from that the fridge has been on gas 24/7. We have eaten out 11 nights but the other nights we have either cooked on the hob, or the bbq using the built in bbq point, and we have also boiled the kettle on the hob every day for regular teas/ coffees. The first week of so we were heating water for showers, but after that it’s been too hot and we’ve only heated water for washing dishes.

I hope that’s enough info to settle your bet, but to summarise, 1 x 13 kg gas bottle has lasted almost a month, most of the time in exceptionally high temperatures regularly over 30 degrees and occasionally in the 40’s. We certainly haven’t needed to put the gas on for any heating!

That seems pretty good to me, hard to estimate with refillable as you top up when you can and without a flow meter impossible.

We have had one night on ehu, but apart from that the fridge has been on gas 24/7. We have eaten out 11 nights but the other nights we have either cooked on the hob, or the bbq using the built in bbq point, and we have also boiled the kettle on the hob every day for regular teas/ coffees. The first week of so we were heating water for showers, but after that it’s been too hot and we’ve only heated water for washing dishes.

I hope that’s enough info to settle your bet, but to summarise, 1 x 13 kg gas bottle has lasted almost a month, most of the time in exceptionally high temperatures regularly over 30 degrees and occasionally in the 40’s. We certainly haven’t needed to put the gas on for any heating!

Told yah! And everyone else. And people say I'm as thick as mince! 🤣

Last Autumn in Spain we used 15kg in 6 weeks.
No heating apart from last couple of nights.
Cook in van every day.
Fridge on 12 volt in middle of day while travelling.

I would also add that this usage is about the same as ours in our new van which is about the same as our old van. Maybe a bit more. I think a single 6kg Gaslow will last us off grid two weeks at a push which is about what (as the newly appointed forum expert in gas usage predictions) I said it would be. ,😁

We have had one night on ehu, but apart from that the fridge has been on gas 24/7. We have eaten out 11 nights !

So that is 13kg for 14 days off grid (26 completed days -1 EHU day -11 eat outs ) = 13000 / 14 = over 900 g per day.

Using my planning estimates he would have used
Fridge 25 days at 400 =10.0 kg
Cooking 14 days sat 350g = 4.9 kg
Total 14.9 kg,

When it comes to gas planning I use the following based on Manufacturers specifications and personal experience.
Cooking - 350 ; Fridge - 400 gram per day .

Pity we didn't agree on the bet.

So that is 13kg for 14 days off grid (26 completed days -1 EHU day -11 eat outs ) = 13000 / 14 = over 900 g per day.

Using my planning estimates he would have used
Fridge 25 days at 400 =10.0 kg
Cooking 14 days sat 350g = 4.9 kg
Total 14.9 kg,

Pity we didn't agree on the bet.

It is a pity as you would have lost. You did of course start changing the goal posts. I wasn't going to gloat but seeing as you brought it up.

Back