How do you wildcamp.

Obanboy666

Reading the "where do you stand" thread brought to mind how do members actually wildcamp.
When I first became a member I was clueless, still am to be honest regarding motorhomes and wilding.
I visit Scotland frequently, always pre book into campsites every 2/3 days in between which I wildcamp.
I find this suits my lifestyle as I like to laze about and basically watch the world go by, walk the dog and take photos. This I can do on a campsite safe in the knowledge my motorhome is safe and I am not antagonising any locals etc.
Reading numerous threads It appears the idea is to arrive late and leave early regarding a wild poi, this is what I always do and to date it's worked for me. I would personnelly feel uncomfortable staying at a location without moving for a day or 2. One thread I was reading stated 1 and no more than 2 nights at a location which I feel is ok and should not cause problems with anyone.
Numerous members would never dream of using a campsite, how do you they manage if wanting to stay at a location or area for more than 2/3 days or a week for that matter.

Where we feel safe, comfortable and able to relax.

If not we move on :wave:

Mine is a simple tack say I want to go to Scarborough as they are clamping down on campers I have always parked up in any carpark or sea front that allows even if I have to pay as long as it's not rip off parking then early evening I would drive out of town a couple of miles and find a layby or suitable sleep area then back into the resort during the day this has worked for 30+years.

Mine is a simple tack say I want to go to Scarborough as they are clamping down on campers I have always parked up in any carpark or sea front that allows even if I have to pay as long as it's not rip off parking then early evening I would drive out of town a couple of miles and find a layby or suitable sleep area then back into the resort during the day this has worked for 30+years.

I like the sound of that, may well try it at Whitby next month.

I've used a couple of the POI's, otherwise just kept and eye out for what seems to be a suitable spot when touring. I haven't 'wilded' extensively though.

Like the OP, when away for a few days we have gone every 2nd or 3rd day to a small C&CC site to use the facilities (my van has no shower, and while a good wash works just as well, its worth it to us to be able to grab a hot shower, dump waste and replenish water etc.).

I actually prefer and often feel more comfortable 'wilding' than on a site - people these days are often not very considerate of others, and a 'neighbour' whose excessively noisy or with an incessantly yapping dog is not uncommon on a camp site (we tend to go for the smaller ones with less facilities because of these factors as well as the cheaper rates tbh - the small quiet sites tend to attract those looking for quiet, and there's less to appeal to families with young children).

But... I've never wilded more than one night at any spot (yet) - I think its better to move on before you have the chance to be 'noticed'. But if I were ever to consider it, then (like campervanannie advocates) I'd move away during the day, and return later. Even then, if it looked like I'd attracted any attention, chances are I'd up sticks and try somewhere else.

G.

Never paid for a site yet. I don't live on a housing estate & don't want to stay on a motorhome/caravan version of one.:rolleyes2:
We wouldn't stay more than 2 nights because we like to get out & about. Quite fond of pub stops. :beer: Yes, I know there are the rural CL type sites but we haven't needed one yet. You never know, we might use one some day, especially if we ever end up living in our van for a few months, which was the original intention.

Our Good and bad

Wild camping
As others have posted it depends on the location etc.

We would use all these again. So Very Good are

1 Wigtown Harbour..
Very large carpark, welcoming harbourmaster, very few other visitors etc.
Tap. We stayed there twice for 2 days each time.
We used awning and put out tables and chairs did washing etc. Saw abot 10 other people very quiet and pleasant.
Could stay for 3 or 4 nights I suggest

2 Isle of Whithorn..
More people but not unlike the above again 2 nights bur 3 or even 4 probably OK

3 Girvan Harbour..very very good
Toilets and water.
Very large area we stayed 3 nights ..moved in the day on 1 day.
Fish and chips and shops in Town
Entertainment on the Prom on Sundays in July

4 Torlundy (Nr Fort William.
No facilities but very nice.
We stayed 1 night but another vehicle there appeared to be there for several nights.
Probably best to come and go but maybe 3 or 4 nights OK

5 Nairn CR RSPB very good toilets and water again here for 2 nights but very quiet so more probably OK

6 LR Ribblehead (B6479) (N Yorkshire)
Busy at weekend.
No facilities but we stayed for 3 nights on 2 nights nobody else so no problem

7 CR Selby 1 (N Yorkshire)
Very nice here.
Move in the day but can stay easily car park never more than 50%..
If a problem can move to adjacent location often lorries there but no probs

8 CR Blue Bank/Sleights Moor 2 (N Yorkshire)
Large Carpark not busy so can stay all day & night maybe x2 or move during the day

End of good start bad (ie emergency only)
LR Pickering S (A169) (N Yorkshire)
Cow and Calf Ilkley
No problems but simply not comfortsble but OK for 1 night

I use a mix of wilding and C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites. Rarely use a CS and only use Club Sites when there is a 'Z' in the month. ;)

I use sites, car parks, lay by's, lake sides & roads if they are quiet enough. I never stay on a site that is more than £15, it's against my religion.

A nice thread, as a newbie, I have had a couple nights in car parks, as a Toyota Regius owner with no facilities, I can only stay at location for the odd night, but would happily stay in campsites too, I've no problem with that, everyone deserves to make a living, and if the spot is nice enough, why not :)

Never paid for a site yet. I don't live on a housing estate & don't want to stay on a motorhome/caravan version of one.:rolleyes2:
We wouldn't stay more than 2 nights because we like to get out & about. Quite fond of pub stops. :beer: Yes, I know there are the rural CL type sites but we haven't needed one yet. You never know, we might use one some day, especially if we ever end up living in our van for a few months, which was the original intention.

I have also never been on a site in 7 years and only park on moors if on the way to somewhere and need to stop for the night. I am much more a town person and love pubs I know lots here like wide open spaces but I like noise and people. its strange how people on this site seem to worry so much and it even made me think, but I have never had any trouble apart from one wet councillor one night who had to leave me alone after suggesting camp sites miles away from his towns shops and pubs. I seldom stay in same place long as the shed has engine I like to see other places.
Glad of comments :drive: I must put on my profile I park up for night if tired I do not camp.:king:

Last edited:

I have used loads of sites and wouldn't dream of staying on the large type but there are loads of small sites that are as far from a housing estate as one could get.

you should try one you may be pleasantly surprised.

Wilding last summer

Where we feel safe, comfortable and able to relax.

If not we move on :wave:

We had 3 or 4 days at Exmouth for some weeks last year. While there are some noises about banning motorhomes I don't know how they can discriminate, unless they go for a weight limit which would impact on a lot of 4x4s and delivery drivers just wanting a quick lunch time swim.
I think it's about locals who turn up expecting to find a space, but it can only be sold once (and for 24 hours) and would likely still be found to be occupied by another car on busy days.

There is a community of boy rac....I mean young performance car enthusiasts, who drive up and down most evenings, often in the company of a police car and who like to stop on the seafront and eject fast food boxes and cans out of their windows. When I'm sure someone is watching the following morning, I take a bag and pick some up and put it in the bins, of which there is no shortage.

Now, when coach parties come to stay in the local hotels, some owned by national chains, others by the coach companies, while they may contribute money to the hotels, each morning they are usually taken to another area to buy their lunch etc, while we stay in the area and spend in various areas of the local economy and late night taxi rides back to the van as Adrienne uses a mobility scooter.

Happy to continue but not if we're made to feel unwelcome.

Wild or CCC CS orCL

Wild camping for 11 weeks mainly in Scotland total about £30.

But elsewhere many good CCC Certified sites (Max 5 MH) for between £5 and £10
Not always full facilities so "semi-wild" !
Avoid big sites like the plague
Also CL sites from Caravan club OK.

The advantages of a CS or CL site are

1 You can put out awning Table and chairs
2 Use Gas BBQ and so
3 Eat outside
4 Stay for 3 nights do washing etc
5 EHU if you want
6 Wi-Fi
7 Not move vehicle

Last edited:
I am not very good at Wilding in the UK,quite happy on Aires abroad but only if there is at least one other van but we did stop at one on our own. an Aires in France late November last year next to a Cemetery and a Rugby club with three empty school buses.We also stopped for one night last year after the Mayday Hereford weekend up on the Welsh border in a car park but it was OK as a lot of the car parks allow Motorhome parking around there,but don't tell MTM.:ninja::scared:Of all the Aires last year there were only two we decided not to stop at,one because it was out side a school with short bays and too much tree over hang and the other was in what seemed the rough end of town and had a lot of kids fishing around a pond and there were no other vans apart from that we had no problems at all.

Snowbirds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back