HOW do you wash your clothes abroad?

The laird

Mrs is thinking about a manual clothes washer to take abroad with us,I asked why as we never did before.
Why she said ,I thought here it comes you do but it's just a though I was told
Just the manual type not powere up one
Any tips or advice
Thanks in Advance

Mrs is thinking about a manual clothes washer to take abroad with us,I asked why as we never did before.
Why she said ,I thought here it comes you do but it's just a though I was told
Just the manual type not powere up one
Any tips or advice
Thanks in Advance

Washing clothes ? Listening to your Mrs ? You sure you're Scottish ?

In summer Mrs D just hand washes in the van sink. We have a drier that hangs on the van window with about 10 slats on it. She does it maybe once, twice a week. Its just shorts and T shirts and stuff though and in the summer sun its dry in an hour or two. Bedding is a bit more challenging and ill set up a line to dry sheets etc. Winter is an entirely different ball game of course but for us we are generally not away more than a month so it just stacks up until we get home.

GO TO THE LAUNDRETTE where you can sit outside and drink beer in the sunshine......

If on an aire we use the local town Laverie Automatique if available or some of the larger supermarkets also have them and they are also very good.

Once the washing is in we would normally get fuel then park up again and whilst waiting for the cycle to finish one of us nips in to buys provisions.

If on a ACSI or Municiple campsite we would use their laundry facilities but have often found they`ve been well used and abused so that is our last resort.

Send them to Thailand Vietnam or China

They Come back well washed and ironed at minimal cost !

This is what to look for their at a lot of super markets now approx cost 4€ for 8 kg wash + 2 € 20 mins drying & 8 € for 18 kg

France 2012 (376).jpg

Last edited:
Hi ya Matey,
For a Cpl of years I had a Cpl of Cheap Square 20lt Container with Screw top lid. (Ex Ship's Plastic Flair Box type of Thingymajig) that would sit on Horizontally in a bracket on the Back of my Vehicle, Half filll with water, Two Hard Doggy Balls, Hand Wash Liquid & Dirty washing went in Drive until I fancy stopping for whatever & Change the water, Drive again until Time for a Cuppa & Change the Water, Sort the final bit out when settled for the Night !.

Last edited by a moderator:
We (meaning her indoors) do the washing when we use a campsite, which is usually every 2-3 days abroad, my good lady usually takes a bucket of washing and some hand wash liquid to the wash room and comes back with the wet washing and we hang it up somewhere convenient.

Trample over me clothes in the shower. Doesn't work to well, but I don't lose any sleep over it. :p

My medical declarations on insurance limit me to max 30 days away. I have enough of everything I need, including bedding, to take a months worth. So they just pile up until I get back.

GO TO THE LAUNDRETTE where you can sit outside and drink beer in the sunshine......

My sentiments Exactly!!:bow: Cheap as chips:banana:, all washed and dried in under 2hours!😁
Loads of garages now have self-service launderette s on the forecourt!
Hanging washing out in most places is considered pikey camping!! :scared:
Don't want to be moved on or fined!!:cry:

Trample over me clothes in the shower. Doesn't work to well, but I don't lose any sleep over it. :p

Tried that once and it didn`t go well :sad: i`d left my keys in one of the pockets :rolleyes2: hurt like hell :scared: and i was limping for a week :mad2:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back