HOW do you wash your clothes abroad?

My medical declarations on insurance limit me to max 30 days away. I have enough of everything I need, including bedding, to take a months worth. So they just pile up until I get back.

Oh, that's cheating, 2 pairs of socks and 3 pairs of underpants, anyone can do that :dance::dance::dance:

i use a plastic twintub machine by sunncamp. works off solar and a 1kw inverter. had it a few years now . it was second hand when i got it .
works a treat. the spinner is fantastic .
mind i do carry a wash posser and a big acme wringer and stand . thats what i used for years before the twintub.

6 years of full timing and we didn't have a problem finding some where to do the washing. Many Camper stops have washing machines and driers. Commercial centres often have launderettes although a little different to those found in the UK.

Abroad they use cold water, so UK powder is no good. Some launderettes dispense the soap automatically so no powder or conditioner required.

Portugal was the hardest place for a launderette, Tourist info said there were non at all. Booked into a campsite and used their facility.

I always use launderettes. It's always a bonus if you can find one with a service wash too. It may cost a couple of quid more, but it's worth it IMO otherwise you lose half a day a week of your holiday playing with dirty washing. :juggle:

Portugal was the hardest place for a launderette, Tourist info said there were non at all. Booked into a campsite and used their facility.

There's 3 that I know of Alcasa do Sol, Sagress, & Budens all at Intermarche super markets very likely more

We have hunted sites out with machines, but do have a portable washing machine like this obviously you can not use it on Aires but small sites on a nice evening and it gets the job done, just turn everything inside out as fluff appears on everything.

I have the state of the art human washing machine. I just sit and enjoy the sun until it is all done. (No supper for me tonight if the wife sees this. :) Worth the risk.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 61
Carry a twin tub

We use a twin tub. Three loads washed yesterday and spun using 10% of the leisure battery, whilst being recharged under a middling sun. Good access to water needed.

Don't know where someone found a laundry for €5 only ... that is a smallish load. I had two sets of bedding, towels and a week's worth of clothes, so used an Intermarche's laundrette -€18 later ... and they do all have temperature settings.

Just in case anyone new to Portugal, there are a lot of laundrettes around. Small ones in towns as well as at Intermarche and some Leclerc. Intermarche often good for free services too.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...dge-base-/58442-washing-what-do-you-do-4.html

Link to a Thread I started ages ago if you fancy a read
So,,Here is my Washing Machine Where it lives & Where it is Used.
IMAG1779.jpg

After Using I fold down my Airier & Load with the almost dry washing.
IMAG1805_1.jpg
Please note, This pic is just showing the concept, I Load the Airier Properly with Bigger/Longer stuff on the Top Bars, & Smaller stuff on the Bottom Bars when actually in use.

I have a Hot air Outlet from the main cabin fire opposite the shower room opening for when its on in the evening, But 'If Needed' say in winter, I put a bit of extra heat on the Aluminium Floor of the shower trey by way of a Holder with up to 9- 8hr burn time Tee lights that then takes its place in front of the washing machine & under the Airier. (The Roof vent is the Permanent Open type).
IMAG1769.jpg

Iv also got a Removable 7ft long Line with 5 Hangers that clips in to my Overcab Bunk area that gives extra Drying /Airing space if required for use at Night or if not moving that day. Ideal for the Duvet Covers !.
IMAG1954.jpg

So if got plenty of water I can Have a Hot Shower on board, Then do up to 3 Loads of washing ( NOTE- I Have used Clean Flowing Stream water gathered in Bucket with great success on a few occasions to use JUST in Washing Machine in past) & Charge Phone, Power Pack, Torches, Two Portable Blue Tooth Speakers, Ipod, Huawei WIFI Box, Lap Top, Hair Clipper, Top up Leisure Battery & Finnish up with a Full tank of Hot water at the end of it all from say 90mins of Genny time (approx. £2.00 or £2.50 inc the Tee lights at a guess) once or even twice a week if needed !. Knowing I can put all the washing away nice n dry in the morning so I don't have to then look at it for days on end.

Last edited by a moderator:
in portugal look in villages you still find the old was areas with stone wash things etc . great place to meet the locals .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back