How do you play music etc. in an old camper with just a basic radio/cassette?

The FM transmitter solution is generally satisfactory, and for many years I used an SD card loaded with MP3s, inserted in my Garmin, which had an FM transmitter. There were two slight drawbacks:
and a 3rd significant drawback .... you cannot control anything other than volume with the in-dash radio, and most of these portable devices are not easy to navigate when driving.

Each to their own, but I like to keep my focus on the road and an adaptable but easy to use audio unit.

and a 3rd significant drawback .... you cannot control anything other than volume with the in-dash radio, and most of these portable devices are not easy to navigate when driving.

Each to their own, but I like to keep my focus on the road and an adaptable but easy to use audio unit.
I dont listen to music when driving, only when stopped, not a fan of radio on the move just incase i may start to sing along, heaven forbid. :eek:

Yes, a potential issue, but I was happy with the selection of music that I had installed on the card and simply set it to play at random, so not a problem in my case.

The FM adapter is probably the best bet, just as long as the ancient radio has FM and isn't confined to the Home Service, the Light Programme and theThird Network (you have to be of a certain age) 😉
and no doubt when you go abroad, you retune to Hilversum? 👴

Hi Marie,

You say “music adaptor for AUX” so does the stereo have an aux in socket?

Use a bluetooth speaker connected to iphone or whatever and leave the original alone as it probably adding to the overall uniqueness of your van.

Estate agent speak for many original features🤣

The FM adapter is probably the best bet, just as long as the ancient radio has FM and isn't confined to the Home Service, the Light Programme and theThird Network (you have to be of a certain age) 😉

Radio Luxembourg, don't forget Radio Luxembourg !.

Without it where would Horace Batchelor and the infra draw be ?

Probably in Keynsham (that's Keynsham, spelt K E Y N S H A M).

1702498472560.png

(Horace with four of his fans)

Hi Marie,

You say “music adaptor for AUX” so does the stereo have an aux in socket?

Not sure, will check the van later when I get a chance (got a hectic few days coming up starting today - takes me hours to check my head is on the right way round when I get up - and for the rest of the day too! :oops: 🤪🤣 )

Here you go, I've nipped out and taken a photo in the dark 😁

(Ignore the dust in the air vents, I haven't managed to get round to giving it a proper clean for a few weeks just now...!! 😱 )

IMG_2725.jpg

Here you go, I've nipped out and taken a photo in the dark 😁

(Ignore the dust in the air vents, I haven't managed to get round to giving it a proper clean for a few weeks just now...!! 😱 )

View attachment 126093
One of these would do it.

That adapter would not be my choice either. Something you might have used maybe 15 odd years ago when portable MP3 players first started to appear, or maybe in a company car of the time where you could not make changes.

I think the unit I have in my own Motorhome would be hard to beat.... Android based and so can run apps from the google store. Use it for the radio, but mostly listen to my local MP3 library on USB Sticks, using a really good app (whose name I can't recall) that allows me to select by album, artist, genre, etc... all the iTunes kind of stuff but in "good for a dash radio" type of way, plus Amazon Music, Youtube Music, Audible, etc. Is also my TPMS interface, my monitor to all the battery info and B2B performance and loads more, including Navigation (but I like my Garmin more).
Added a wired remote control which is brilliant and shortly (maybe today if I get everything for Friday loaded early enough?) will be adding DAB+ to it as well :)

I had one of those tape adapters and a special shock proof cradle for a portable CD player in my car a long time ago. Worked well until I lowered the car and there was NO suspension lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back