How do you get on without a garage?

We haven’t got a garage and I can’t think of anything I’d put in it. The only downside with our van is that we can’t fit recliner chairs in the locker only normal sitters.

We have recliner chairs in our garage. :D

Mind you, it's not a proper garage as ours is a PVC. Very handy having a large space under the double bed though.

We have recliner chairs in our garage. :D

Mind you, it's not a proper garage as ours is a PVC. Very handy having a large space under the double bed though.
If it’s a large storage void accessed when the rear doors are opened it’s a garage. Chausson do coach builds with rear hatches to storage voids.

Please don’t self flagellate yourself for what you consider is not a “proper garage” when it is.

Wish we could carry recliners but we would have to sacrifice something else that we carry in our garage as it is loaded up to its weight limit. We have to make do with lightweight camping chairs.

Could we ditch the full size spare wheel stored in the garage I wonder which would equal 2 recliners?

If it’s a large storage void accessed when the rear doors are opened it’s a garage. Chausson do coach builds with rear hatches to storage voids.

Please don’t self flagellate yourself for what you consider is not a “proper garage” when it is.

Wish we could carry recliners but we would have to sacrifice something else that we carry in our garage as it is loaded up to its weight limit. We have to make do with lightweight camping chairs.

We carry loads of stuff in ours. Also the water tank is in there. Depending on how long we are going for we change our load. Our latest trip to Devon and Cornwall we sacrificed the recliners for light chairs.

We carry loads of stuff in ours. Also the water tank is in there. Depending on how long we are going for we change our load. Our latest trip to Devon and Cornwall we sacrificed the recliners for light chairs.
We carry the folding e-bikes in ours which restricts the spare garage payload to 115kg. As well as the bikes, the weight is taken up with outdoor living and cooking gear, beach gear, and various caravan style containers that mean we don’t have to rely on motorhome service points and can remain parked up in the proximity of a tap and drain that may be 100m or more away without moving.

Oh for a motorhome with a 350kg garage as against 150kg. But then it adds a minimum of around £25000 to the price as you are talking higher end continental.

Last edited:
Who needs a boot or chairs when a whole town to wander round and get well feed, there on thursday.
Donegal town.png

Who needs a boot or chairs when a whole town to wander round and get well feed, there on thursday.View attachment 122743
Somewhere in Scotland maybe? That will be us next month when we tour France although their fishing harbours are not as picturesque as the ones in Scotland or the west coast of Ireland. We don’t do touring in August (it’s too much hassle) and stick to pre booked campsites which is where we are now. Hence covering all bases with our garage contents.

Because I knew that the majority of MoHo/Campervan owners complained about their lack of storage space, from day 1 of my design/planning process I designed in a full width, floor to roof storage 'shed' that since being built, the shed has been of amazing use as it holds not only the 5 ton trolley jack, but also the spare wheel, a very comprehensive tool kit, all the loo rolls, table, chairs, large quantities of bottles or boxes of wine, all the dog food etc. etc.
Millies-Shed.jpg

I would say though, that is a lovely town in your picture.
It is and small, lots of good pubs if you can handle a real pint Rob.
Your better half would love the shops, not that there is many, but she could also viz the castle.
Good place at top of the town for a nose bag at the back carpark, themed with pictures of Joey Dunlop and others.
From the van carpark there is the friery of the 4 masters to go see, 300 yard walk.
f masters.png

Because I knew that the majority of MoHo/Campervan owners complained about their lack of storage space, from day 1 of my design/planning process I designed in a full width, floor to roof storage 'shed' that since being built, the shed has been of amazing use as it holds not only the 5 ton trolley jack, but also the spare wheel, a very comprehensive tool kit, all the loo rolls, table, chairs, large quantities of bottles or boxes of wine, all the dog food etc. etc.View attachment 122744
Easy on the wine or you may end up eating the dog food by mistake, end up barking mad or chassing motorbikes LOL.

Our Laika had one, but not a lot os use to us until we went down to Dover to collect two full bathroom suites, we got it all in the garage wrapped in Duvets except the two baths and they went on the roof, we spent the night in Cheddar Gorge.

We were just extending the bungalow and needed two of everything, we even got two bidets but only had space for one, we got the lot for £250 and we had a week away too.

I wish we had one now though for the scooter, I'd be able to have a better one then.
I'm just deleting a lot of old pictures 83gb so far and came across the above mentioned bathroom suites, I didn't realise I'd taken one, shame it's not a screenshot it'd have been more clearer.

1708350945264.png

Because I knew that the majority of MoHo/Campervan owners complained about their lack of storage space, from day 1 of my design/planning process I designed in a full width, floor to roof storage 'shed' that since being built, the shed has been of amazing use as it holds not only the 5 ton trolley jack, but also the spare wheel, a very comprehensive tool kit, all the loo rolls, table, chairs, large quantities of bottles or boxes of wine, all the dog food etc. etc.View attachment 122744
old thread resurrection, so why not reply to an old post? :)

What you have done there, Milliemaster is excellent. I sketched out a few years ago a plan in my mind for my next conversion (which I will never do) - and it in I would have a rear bathroom like I have now, but I would behind that have a full width, full height storage area like you have built there. (y)

Old thread indeed but it did make me wonder what people carry in their trailers . I see vans twice the size of mine with old [same age as me] couples which have a garage but then they are hauling a huge trailer .
WTF is in them ?

Old thread indeed but it did make me wonder what people carry in their trailers . I see vans twice the size of mine with old [same age as me] couples which have a garage but then they are hauling a huge trailer .
WTF is in them ?
You mean something like this?

Cheyenne635SE-SP57 - 15
by David, on Flickr

That is my Motorhome - but 'outfit' before my ownership. Motorbike maybe? Could be some Base Jumping kit (you know - mad people who leap off the side of mountains). So people carrying their hobbies, I suppose.

My Trailer is a bit smaller than that one ....

image.jpg1_22
by David, on Flickr

But they grow and grow

IMG_20160731_112453
by David, on Flickr
Can't fit a 4.5M Gazebo plus a Driveaway awning, 4 tables, 3 chairs, 16 foot of gridwall and lots of stock even in the rear garage of a Motorhome

You mean something like this?

Cheyenne635SE-SP57 - 15 by David, on Flickr

That is my Motorhome - but 'outfit' before my ownership. Motorbike maybe? Could be some Base Jumping kit (you know - mad people who leap off the side of mountains). So people carrying their hobbies, I suppose.

My Trailer is a bit smaller than that one ....

image.jpg1_22 by David, on Flickr

But they grow and grow

IMG_20160731_112453 by David, on Flickr
Can't fit a 4.5M Gazebo plus a Driveaway awning, 4 tables, 3 chairs, 16 foot of gridwall and lots of stock even in the rear garage of a Motorhome
Yea that is understandable but most of the ones I see look more like people just going on holidays .
Tends to niggle me a wee bit when they take up half an aire

WTF is in them ?
We had one such couple arrive at our site in France and among other things being carried in the large trailer was a simply giant gas BBQ, a full set of heavy garden chairs along with a substantial table, a large and heavy gazebo and finally a full size twin tub washing machine!

I saw to it that they didn't remain on site for very long as their free hook up electricity was being gobbled up at a stupid rate!!!!

For some reason the rear lounge layout is popular with U.K. motorhome buyers but the garage is sacrificed for this.

In my mind a garage is essential if you have extended 3 month trips in your motorhome.

It seems that every European manufacturer includes a garage at the back but not so if you are looking to buy a U.K. manufactured motorhome. Only a few have rear garages and even then many are on the small side. Very few offer full sized continental type garages.

So a question for those who haven’t got a rear garage. How do you manage?
I suppose it depends on the size and storage facilities of your van. We have an Autosleeper Warwick XL and find we have plenty of storage with the upper lockers and the under bed storage as well as the over cab area. We did downsize from an A Class Rapido and when we changed over and emptied the Rapido we were really taken aback at the amount of stuff we really didn't need to take away with us and never used. We are still able to take all we need away and a trip of two weeks or two months really doe not present a problem.

I seem to empty ours before and after every trip, Liz is a hoarder and stuffs every cupboard and drawer to the max.

She even suggested it might be an idea to fit a towbar and hire a trailer for the French trip, ERR no ta.

For some reason the rear lounge layout is popular with U.K. motorhome buyers but the garage is sacrificed for this.

In my mind a garage is essential if you have extended 3 month trips in your motorhome.

It seems that every European manufacturer includes a garage at the back but not so if you are looking to buy a U.K. manufactured motorhome. Only a few have rear garages and even then many are on the small side. Very few offer full sized continental type garages.

So a question for those who haven’t got a rear garage. How do you manage?
There are two issues in addition to the garage or under a fixed bed storage area issue, Making and unmaking the bed daily is a grind on a long trip, so that's why we ditched it for the fixed bed & so-called garage. Also we don't want to stow away bedding which has not been aired, particularly in warmer and sometimes very hot weather.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back