Hose for water tank filling.

Which type? Be interesting to know as I've only ever heard bad press.

It's green, and 10m long when full of water.

It needs water pressure in it to make it expand, which might confuse some.

If you turn the tap off and immediately unplug it, you'll get wet. Let it drain from the other end for a few seconds and it's fine.

Once you know these things, it works and uses little space.

No, I've never use the braided ones, they would work but I have found that the unbranded work well. The braided ones are usually used for much higher pressure.

Hi I have been using a clear food grade hose for 10 years with no problems I always drain hose after use and it has remained clean.

i only use watering can at least it doesn't touch tap on aires which is why i wont use a hose and i still wipe the tap first - you dont know what it has been used for and there are a lot of dirty people out there

My hose like many other items I bought when I took up motorhoming is in the garage gathering dust.
Always leave home with full 150 lt tank and just use whatever hose is available on the CS I use. Only use the tank water for washing up and showering, carry drinking water in 2 x 10 litre containers.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you can't dry a hose after use and so inevitably there is a chance of bacteria getting in and growing. Algae as you say needs light which most hoses will not get as they are stored in dark places.
If you use a clear pipe you can quickly see if there is a problem.
Oh, always run some water through the hose before you fill the tank to clear any stale water droplets that will be in the pipe however carefully you try to empty it. ( Very difficult with a stretchy pipe, )

A lot of he expanding hoses specificaly state "NOT for drinking water"

I don't remember looking, because we don't drink from the tank as we're usually only weekends etc, not full time. Drink bottled cheap stuff from Costco/Makro.

Brushing teeth has been fine from the tank.

Food grade clear reinforced plastic hose. Two lengths the short one being around 10m Cheap hose connectors used and a hose joiner to keep them clean inside when stored. Kept in the dark so they don’t get any ideas about growing anything nasty.

I have had a few of the expanding hoses that have not lasted too long before bursting, but I have been using a hozelok expanding hose now for several years now for washing the car etc and the garden, so I now carry one in the motorhome too, although when filling at home I just have a short hose about 6 feet long for filling the motorhome as I have a tap near by

I have a 7 ltr watering can it takes less trips that those that bought the 5ltr version 🤓 I also bought a cheap flat hose from eBay with an array of attachments and 3 yrs later it’s fine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back