Hooking up to public car charging poont

signal-2024-06-02-15-25-51-164-1.jpg
Regards,
Del

The only advantage I can see is topping up you MH batteries at home on cheap rate electricity (Octopus etc give you 7.5p/kwh over night, but they don’t know if it’s being used for an EV or not) but it’s still £195 to save very little.
But you could do that by using 13 amp to 16 amp cable for a lot less

But you could do that by using 13 amp to 16 amp cable for a lot less
I believe you need the correct cable construction to be within the terms and conditions of the suppliers. I thought this had already been gone through a while ago on this site?

While it isn't something I would do (with present setup anyway) I cant see a problem so long as people use a bit of common sense and don't leave EV owners sat waiting.

I believe you need the correct cable construction to be within the terms and conditions of the suppliers. I thought this had already been gone through a while ago on this site?

While it isn't something I would do (with present setup anyway) I cant see a problem so long as people use a bit of common sense and don't leave EV owners sat waiting.
Good luck ....

There's folks out there that don't know where to empty a toilet casette without causing upset ...

Afaik a charge point won't deliver until it has recognised that a car is plugged in, so a straight adapter shouldn't work
No only the AC1, PN and ACN pins will be wired just like a type2 to 13amp discharge cable but in reverse
Here therefore it will put out power just like an extension lead, there’s no reason it won’t work, but I can see no reason why you’d want it.

The cable is designed for home use to connect your MH without running an extension lead at home, it wasn’t designed to charge from public EV chargers, my home EV charger is there to charge the EV, I have a separate 16amp outlet for the MH.

That’s right Trev, if I connect to IONITY if automatically recognises the car, auto charges and bills it to my home electricity bill.

But if I use the Tesla/BP/pod-point networks I need to have an account and connect via the relevant app. That turns on the charger.

But it doesn’t need to be a particular car.

With the likes of BP etc you can also just connect and pay by contactless, but it will generally cost more.

It is certainly not illegal. It could be against the T&Cs of some charger point suppliers possibly.
And who says the MH was parked IN an EV bay when he had the lead plugged in? May have been in an adjacent one most likely.
Also, I doubt if anyone getting a special lead for this purpose will also be using a 6A charger (unless that was 6A AC? That is more like it, so charging at 120A on a 12V system).
Why would you even do this? Convenience. Why not if you had the ability and the charge point was available.
Frowned about? who by and why do you really worry what small-minded people think?
I'm not worried at all David, couldn't give a monkeys TBH, only saying what I'd read.

If an EV charging point is sited to sell electricity, then why should there be any problem, as to who the buyer is ?
From what I understand, the etiquette for motorhomes is,
1, Park near the EV point, not on it.
2, Vacate if an EV driver wishes to use that point, if it is the only one available. Eg. Other nearby points are in use by EV's, or out of order.
I don't have a Juicy Brucie lead. I would not rule out buying one if I thought I needed one.

Even worse than campervans hooking up to EV points are the frigging morons in cars who can't read the words MOTORHOMES AND CARAVANS ONLY in great big painted white letters in the long bays provided by some service stations.
Even worse when there are no bays left. 😠

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:181)

chrishunter, Tim120, Topmast, Robmac, NSY, Scotia, Norfolk NewBoy, CHAIRMAN, Charlynch, maingate, RichardHelen262, Wully, barryd, GinaRon, 2cv, Boris7, davep10000, GMJ, belbri, mistericeman, Tonybvi, guerdeval, TeamRienza, oppy, Tezza33, winks, runnach, Jo001, campervanannie, kevlakes, SquirrellCook, TJBi, Nabsim, bdastu, Bigshug, number14, GeoffL, AllanD, Wooie1958, jann, molly 2, andyjanet, gdf, pamjon, merl, Fazerloz, Pudsey Bear, witzend, wildebus, MrKenny, Heppy, alanfleming, shortcircuit, caledonia, trevskoda, alwaysared, r4dent, The laird, Glass man, colinm, mike w, bobemmo29, ewen, Victor, linkshouse, rugbyken, Martin P, yeoblade, AdriaTwin, carthago, DTF, mark61, Minustico, Alberto, 1 Cup, hmssnake, ironman, Mossystone, tobym, Greengrass, korky, Munroz, Canalsman, jeanette, matbic, clarkpeacock, hamsterberg27, SimonM, COCKY, Chip, Quiddle, Mick H, 1807truckman, Glandwr, saxonborg, lizard, zzr1400tim, vwalan, Rod, myvanwy, ajb70, iampatman, Steve and Julie, The Jacks, Sharon the Cat, Elliot, jacquigem, Mango, cornish hymer, Admin, smg, RSD7a, neildent, alan1958, Bouydog, Tartarus, BM48, Clunegapyears, Mr K2, forthpilot, eriksleden, Magsw, Ellendale, fergie1061, prioryi, vtwinner, Rumour, diongr, Sheila Bryant, AndyJL, mick n jules, Eric The Viking, Mpdyork, Tarmacapache, Weefifer, Thistle, Adam C, MikeRS, Outdoors Dad, Trotter, JVG, V1nny, JimKerr, izwozral, Chrishrock, chyperie, VandA, marchie, mygrassisblue, royh28, DTDOG, alcam, UFO, Lee, David Glassford, Dethy, campingfun, HurricaneSmith, harrow, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, TCall, DAVEY, mariesnowgoose, ScarletPimple, Geek, dekaz, GeorgeK, BETTSY, bnb080, GeordieBoy, gabby82, jas900, SteveD, Redcallaway1, st3v3, barge1914, Cass, Hornet49, topchook, Patandtubs, JQB,
Back