Hooking up to public car charging poont

spigot

Yesterday in a car park in Stromness I noticed a campervan hooked up from his ehu point to a public vehicle EV charger.

Has anyone any idea how to do this?, is there a lead available to facilitate charging a camper?, first time I’ve seen this!

I can't imagine this going down well with actual EV owners when they turn up to plug in and there is a blooming great "Diesel" motorhome parked there. I suppose you might get away with it late at night. Otherwise you are going to have to be parked there a considerable time to get any decent charge.

I can't imagine this going down well with actual EV owners when they turn up to plug in and there is a blooming great "Diesel" motorhome parked there. I suppose you might get away with it late at night. Otherwise you are going to have to be parked there a considerable time to get any decent charge.

That occurred to me as well Barry.

I think it's a matter of planning your trip. Whilst you are driving you are charging from the alternator anyway but I suppose it depends on the length of your journey really. I can't see me ever making use or having need of such a facility though.

That occurred to me as well Barry.

I think it's a matter of planning your trip. Whilst you are driving you are charging from the alternator anyway but I suppose it depends on the length of your journey really. I can't see me ever making use or having need of such a facility though.

You could almost invest in a solar panel and controller for the cost of that cable as well! :D

Cant see the point myself. £195 for the cable and expensive electricity. Even the add for the cable says you can’t park you none EV in an restricted space and you only get 3kw in most cases.

Our local shopping centre had issues with none EV parking at pod-point charging bays so EV drivers just started blocking them in. Then the land owners started clamping none EVs

The only advantage I can see is topping up you MH batteries at home on cheap rate electricity (Octopus etc give you 7.5p/kwh over night, but they don’t know if it’s being used for an EV or not) but it’s still £195 to save very little.

Last edited:
It could have been an electric campervan, there was a VW on hook up at a campsite last week but the charge point was on The front grill ,where was his hook up point?

It could have been an electric campervan, there was a VW on hook up at a campsite last week but the charge point was on The front grill ,where was his hook up point?

Mike did say 'from his EHU point' and I know Mike and he would recognise one.

You could be right though but I think we have moved on to the fact that these cables are being sold with a view to recharge leisure batteries?

Another no from me I'm afraid ....

As well as not wanting potential grief from EV owners (have you seen how grumpy a tesla owner gets when they can charge ...)

With solar and B2B even in the depths of winter we've never needed hook up .

Let alone the cost of the cable and cost of charging .
Why pick on Tesla owners?!!

The more expensive ones I think are probably fast chargers but that would be wasted on a motorhome as it will only charge at the rate its onboard charger will allow. Maybe just 6amps.

Cable wouldn’t work on a supercharger anyway, they use CCS not type 2, and the cable is permanently attached to the charger.

The costs at very high speed chargers can be worse than using petrol, that’s why if you go to Milton Keynes coachway station you’ll see drivers queuing for the IONITY chargers while all the BP chargers are not in use, it’s a nightmare on a Sunday morning when all the local EV drivers without home chargers are trying to charge.

there was a electrician fitting a ev charging point 3 doors away from me when this was discussed on here before I asked him about a lead with a 16amp plug on other end he qouted £30

It is certainly not illegal. It could be against the T&Cs of some charger point suppliers possibly.
And who says the MH was parked IN an EV bay when he had the lead plugged in? May have been in an adjacent one most likely.
Also, I doubt if anyone getting a special lead for this purpose will also be using a 6A charger (unless that was 6A AC? That is more like it, so charging at 120A on a 12V system).
Why would you even do this? Convenience. Why not if you had the ability and the charge point was available.
Frowned about? who by and why do you really worry what small-minded people think?

Just wondering how hard to convert. 😂
milk float.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:181)

chrishunter, Tim120, Topmast, Robmac, NSY, Scotia, Norfolk NewBoy, CHAIRMAN, Charlynch, maingate, RichardHelen262, Wully, barryd, GinaRon, 2cv, Boris7, davep10000, GMJ, belbri, mistericeman, Tonybvi, guerdeval, TeamRienza, oppy, Tezza33, winks, runnach, Jo001, campervanannie, kevlakes, SquirrellCook, TJBi, Nabsim, bdastu, Bigshug, number14, GeoffL, AllanD, Wooie1958, jann, molly 2, andyjanet, gdf, pamjon, merl, Fazerloz, Pudsey Bear, witzend, wildebus, MrKenny, Heppy, alanfleming, shortcircuit, caledonia, trevskoda, alwaysared, r4dent, The laird, Glass man, colinm, mike w, bobemmo29, ewen, Victor, linkshouse, rugbyken, Martin P, yeoblade, AdriaTwin, carthago, DTF, mark61, Minustico, Alberto, 1 Cup, hmssnake, ironman, Mossystone, tobym, Greengrass, korky, Munroz, Canalsman, jeanette, matbic, clarkpeacock, hamsterberg27, SimonM, COCKY, Chip, Quiddle, Mick H, 1807truckman, Glandwr, saxonborg, lizard, zzr1400tim, vwalan, Rod, myvanwy, ajb70, iampatman, Steve and Julie, The Jacks, Sharon the Cat, Elliot, jacquigem, Mango, cornish hymer, Admin, smg, RSD7a, neildent, alan1958, Bouydog, Tartarus, BM48, Clunegapyears, Mr K2, forthpilot, eriksleden, Magsw, Ellendale, fergie1061, prioryi, vtwinner, Rumour, diongr, Sheila Bryant, AndyJL, mick n jules, Eric The Viking, Mpdyork, Tarmacapache, Weefifer, Thistle, Adam C, MikeRS, Outdoors Dad, Trotter, JVG, V1nny, JimKerr, izwozral, Chrishrock, chyperie, VandA, marchie, mygrassisblue, royh28, DTDOG, alcam, UFO, Lee, David Glassford, Dethy, campingfun, HurricaneSmith, harrow, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, TCall, DAVEY, mariesnowgoose, ScarletPimple, Geek, dekaz, GeorgeK, BETTSY, bnb080, GeordieBoy, gabby82, jas900, SteveD, Redcallaway1, st3v3, barge1914, Cass, Hornet49, topchook, Patandtubs, JQB,
Back