Highlands News - New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched...

G and T

Are you considering visiting the Highlands? News out today: New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched in the Highlands in a bid to boost infrastructure...

Are you considering visiting the Highlands? News out today: New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched in the Highlands in a bid to boost infrastructure...

New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched in the Highlands in a bid to boost infrastructure
Published: 10:56, 01 July 2024 | Updated: 12:34, 01 July 2024
New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched in the Highlands in a bid to boost infrastructure
By Philip Murray - philip.murray@hnmedia.co.uk
Published: 10:56, 01 July 2024 | Updated: 12:34, 01 July 2024
Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

The pass is aimed at socially conscious campervan and motorhome travellers. Picture: iStock.The pass is aimed at socially conscious campervan and motorhome travellers. Picture: iStock.
A new voluntary scheme has launched across the Highlands aimed at encouraging campervan and motorhome users visiting the region to contribute towards the cost of tourist infrastructure.

It comes in response to local concerns that tourists who bring their own accommodation with them are placing increasing demand on the region’s infrastructure without significantly contributing towards the local economy.

The new £40 Highland Campervan and Motorhome Scheme is being aimed at socially conscious travellers, with those opting to pay for the seven-day pass helping to contribute towards improvements to the likes of public toilets and wastewater infrastructure, while also helping the region provide more council-owned sites.

The move comes after public consultation earlier this year saw residents suggest fees for campervans as a way of raising council income and maintaining and improving visitor infrastructure amid rising demand.

Allan Gunn, assistant chief executive (corporate) at Highland Council, said: “The launch of the Highland Campervan and Motorhome Scheme is understood to be the first of its kind by any UK local authority.

“‘Conscious travellers’ who opt for the seven-day pass have access to scheme benefits that will support continued improvements to services such as public toilets, wastewater infrastructure, and environmental and ecological protections.

“There is an identified need for facilities to accommodate campervans, motorhomes, roof tents and people who are using vehicles for short stayovers.

“This scheme offers an opportunity for the Council to continue to support local priorities relating to tourism and visitor management. The Highland Council has also committed funds that will be invested towards improving the existing infrastructure and to provide more council-owned sites.”

James Martin, director of sport, leisure and safeguarding at High Life Highland, said: “We very much welcome the introduction of the Campervan and Motorhome Scheme and are delighted to be able to offer High Life Highland showering and changing facilities to those holiday makers who choose to purchase the seven-day pass.

“Most visitors like to do the right thing when it comes to touring round the Highlands and I am sure the scheme will prove popular, particularly with those who like to ‘give something back’ with a contribution from the funds raised going towards projects that will help conserve and enhance our natural environment.”

Last edited:
I actually think it looks okay - it allows overnight parking in a number of local authority car parks, and showers at leisure centres. To be fair, I've not checked the actual car parks so it sort of depends on whether they are in decent places, but I'd pay £5.71 a night for authorised parking.

Last edited:
Looks like no guarantees of a overnight space, unless the council are looking to manage MH parking places for only those purchasing a Scheme membership. Each of the car parks suggested are open to anyone to park, many stating "Car Park Occupancy Rating: Red ( Car Park frequently reaches capacity during busier periods)"

I don't mind paying this voluntarily.

It just wrankles a bit with me that we are subsidising the one's who abuse the system and they will pay sod all!
Especially as a lot of that abuse is due to the influx of people drawn by the NC500 that was envisaged to attract visitors ...

Sounds like someone wanting the cake AND their Hapenny .

Especially as a lot of that abuse is due to the influx of people drawn by the NC500 that was envisaged to attract visitors ...

Sounds like someone wanting the cake AND their Hapenny .

I spend a lot when touring Scotland. I don't use public car parks I usually use small sites, pub car parks or wild camp and then there are Aires which I haven't used as yet but I expect I will for a stopover to break up a journey - and I will pay for the privilege.

I think that I would rather pay a voluntary 'unfixed' fee at my leisure to contribute to a place that I love going to rather than the fixed £40 rate which would pay for facilities I will never use. Many people who spend say £1000 on fuel + campsite fees + food and drink bills etc etc. will just ignore the fixed fee and I actually think they would make more money if they made it a variable fee.

not clear at all what the scheme benefits are from what I have seen.
My first impression it has been poorly launched.
A "voluntary pass" makes it sounds like a donation. but you get a 'Permit' what allows you access to features and facilities that you otherwise would not have? Why don't they promote the access to those benefits by buying the pass and highlight what they are rather then making it sounds like if you don't get a pass you are scrounging and trying to make people feel guilty.

I think plenty of people feel they contribute already by local spending and especially if they already live in Scotland and pay taxes into the scottish economy, some of which no doubt will go to the Highlands area, so why should be pay an additional amount?

Out of interest, I would love to know the demographic of the people who do pay.

Scottish, English, Welsh, Irish, Europeans etc. etc. Don't suppose we ever will though.

Out of interest, I would love to know the demographic of the people who do pay.

Scottish, English, Welsh, Irish, Europeans etc. etc. Don't suppose we ever will though.
Raise a FOI question if you want to know that. (does it matter?)

This voluntary stuff and charities. Got to pay the Kings Council. I think they put there prices up as Tommy's paying £1000 pH plus vat in Canada 🇨🇦 first. So there be no money left for aid.

So just a data collection point. Won't ever pay the setup fees.

Just parked up for lunch at loch Tulla, on my return journey to the lakes after 6 nights on Skye in my caravan visiting friends.
Spent £158.00 on campsite fees, filled up car at Fort William £78.00, ate out twice yours truly paid once £145.00, spent approx £50.00 on food shopping in Portree and finally approx £50.00 on booze.
I reckon that’s a decent contribution to the local economy so won’t be bothering with the £40.00 unless I go back to a motorhome then I may consider it. Will work if the fees go into improving the infrastructure and not into the the black hole like all the other taxes we pay.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:182)

mark61, cornish hymer, Gadabout2, guerdeval, Bouydog, runnach, Rogerdodge, caledonia, NSY, Ian and Cath, shortcircuit, Robmac, MartinFife, mistericeman, 2cv, Alberto, Makzine, Jo001, mikejay, CHAIRMAN, Tim120, alcam, Tonybvi, helmit, Scotia, wildebus, Biggarmac, izwozral, Fisherman, Tezza33, Martin P, bmc, Fazerloz, Bigshug, clarkpeacock, VandA, Hotrats13, campervanannie, bdastu, Victor, robert webber, 1 Cup, The laird, TeamRienza, Wheelie, number14, Obanboy666, TJBi, longtoedsloth, tony, Tapfitter, Squeegee, Steve and Julie, marchie, jann, korky, Norfolk NewBoy, lthoel2, amcjam, Phantom, Heppy, davep10000, Ali-lou, belbri, rugbyken, andyjanet, Glandwr, ricc, Ex Greeny, Rapido9, mariesnowgoose, Wully, Monkeybrand, RSD7a, Owen M, HurricaneSmith, ton27, jeanette, Canalsman, Clunegapyears, BarryNo1, Wooie1958, ahyslop, Winterskp, ajb70, hellofriend, dekaz, Pudsey Bear, Rob H, Boris7, Adriafan, jacquigem, Henrym, davef, Antonio, Hughendon, TonyandJo, Lizzo, Thistle, gasgas, Ken Parsons, TheMillers, Benylin, Ted, Rumour, AllanD, Eric The Viking, RichardHelen262, Weefifer, Sheila Bryant, harrow, Charlynch, JonnoR, UFO, kensowerby, peejay, barryd, chrishunter, Val54, JVG, Jeavsy, Firefox, jagmanx, flying kipper, reiverlad, exwindsurfer, Debroos, Mossystone, DTF, trixie88, colinm, petermotorhome, ramblefrog, MartinCurren, RogerO, terrywolf, Tartarus, yeoblade, Dougbobbill, mike w, ewen, fiona b, Muddypuddler, Sue Paskins, SYK690, chrismatthews00, Glass man, Alun100, Otter1959, Wardy73, GMJ, Lib, Northumborman, 13der5, Doigy, geoffnmurph, Rolyan57, jaybeeonline, Alf, Whereisdave, Gerry Attrick, Livotlout, Dethy, Harrers, Rutaria, ironman, Matthew362, merl, Elfit, V1nny, barge1914, scampa, TeamPuffin, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, yorkslass, Nabsim, sueb, royh28, Graham B, tribute11, Andylynne, David Glassford,
Back