Here we go again ….

It helped us to a)have a skip and b) know someone who would distribute anything useful to various charities. Also used Wastesavers group on Facebook to give things away. Loft is now done as we slide like a slow and graceful galleon towards the house sale and freedom to travel.

Oh that must be a nice feeling - I think most things will be given or thrown away as I can’t bear the stupid messages of “what’s the measurement of that kettle” 🤦‍♀️Or can you post that sideboard ?

Last edited:
Oh that must be a nice feeling - I think most things will be given or thrown away as I can’t bear the stupid messages of “what’s the measurement of a kettle” 🤦‍♀️Or can you post that sideboard ?
I can still remember my experience of giving away a real living christmas tree that was growing in a large flower pot, rude people, never again.

It took us 5 years to sell the house and business, fulling intending to move to something similar, 4 bed detatched with outbuildings.
To cut a long story short we bought a tiny 2 bed semi-detached stone cottage that we gutted and worked on ourselves.
Because we were running the business right up until the moment of completion at our busiest time, we didn't get rid of nearly enough stuff. Our belongings spent 2 years in storage and as they came off the vans we were telling the guys to put at least 50% of it aside on the drive. I tooks pics with my phone and posted it on Freecycle immediately. Some people really cleared up because it was the expensive stuff that didn't fit, only the second hand cheap tat did!
One lesson I have learnt though is to only use the Freecycle web site. If you use the FB versions, you get ignorant, rude and entitled people with no manners. Web Freecycle people are, on the whole, lovely and older.

It took us 5 years to sell the house and business, fulling intending to move to something similar, 4 bed detatched with outbuildings.
To cut a long story short we bought a tiny 2 bed semi-detached stone cottage that we gutted and worked on ourselves.
Because we were running the business right up until the moment of completion at our busiest time, we didn't get rid of nearly enough stuff. Our belongings spent 2 years in storage and as they came off the vans we were telling the guys to put at least 50% of it aside on the drive. I tooks pics with my phone and posted it on Freecycle immediately. Some people really cleared up because it was the expensive stuff that didn't fit, only the second hand cheap tat did!
One lesson I have learnt though is to only use the Freecycle web site. If you use the FB versions, you get ignorant, rude and entitled people with no manners. Web Freecycle people are, on the whole, lovely and older.

Thank you that’s helpful … had one woman turn from fb market page up and gave me a barrage of abuse because I didn’t come out to the road where she parked - had no idea she was there.
I asked her why she didn’t knock on the door as instructed - she told me it was my responsibility to bring the item out 😂

Thank you that’s helpful … had one woman turn from fb market page up and gave me a barrage of abuse because I didn’t come out to the road where she parked - had no idea she was there.
I asked her why she didn’t knock on the door as instructed - she told me it was my responsibility to bring the item out 😂
My polite reply would have started with a F.
I thought the FB thing was all that was left but Delicagirl on here told me that the web version was still running, and still nice to use.

I thought the FB thing was all that was left but Delicagirl on here told me that the web version was still running, and still nice to use.
Our local one is called freegle now. Got rid of loads of mil's stuff when she downsized, and had some lovely people collect. Even took things we hadn't put up, like cushions and kitchen odds and ends.
We downsized three years ago, gave loads of stuff to our son,as well as freegle and now moved back to the larger house:rolleyes: so have an unfurnished front room and had to buy curtains and rugs again. As it is only a temporary upsize, our son is already marking the things he would like! 🙄

Our local one is called freegle now. Got rid of loads of mil's stuff when she downsized, and had some lovely people collect. Even took things we hadn't put up, like cushions and kitchen odds and ends.
We downsized three years ago, gave loads of stuff to our son,as well as freegle and now moved back to the larger house:rolleyes: so have an unfurnished front room and had to buy curtains and rugs again. As it is only a temporary upsize, our son is already marking the things he would like! 🙄

Used our local Freegle a few weeks back to get rid of a couple of things and you're right - everyone who responded was polite and friendly. Will definitely use again because sometimes taking things to charity shops around here can be a bit of PITA, which is a shame really. We have taken most stuff to charity shops in the past and will continue to do so, but also looking for other ways to dispose of 'too much stuff'. Prefer to give things straight to someone who wants/will use them.

Been chipping away clearing out some of our stuff since Christmas, but think I need to start using a much bigger chisel! :ROFLMAO:😜

Getting rid of all, or nearly all, of your worldly goods is very cathartic and liberating. I've done it once before in my life - with not such a good outcome - but it did put me on a different path in life. It's all an adventure anyway. Been yearning for a much simpler life for at least 7 years now, before pandemics etc.... 🤞

Used our local Freegle a few weeks back to get rid of a couple of things and you're right - everyone who responded was polite and friendly. Will definitely use again because sometimes taking things to charity shops around here can be a bit of PITA, which is a shame really. We have taken most stuff to charity shops in the past and will continue to do so, but also looking for other ways to dispose of 'too much stuff'. Prefer to give things straight to someone who wants/will use them.

Been chipping away clearing out some of our stuff since Christmas, but think I need to start using a much bigger chisel! :ROFLMAO:😜

Getting rid of all, or nearly all, of your worldly goods is very cathartic and liberating. I've done it once before in my life - with not such a good outcome - but it did put me on a different path in life. It's all an adventure anyway. Been yearning for a much simpler life for at least 7 years now, before pandemics etc.... 🤞
We have empty shelves and cupboards in this house.....never been known till we downsized and I got ruthless!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back