Here we go again ….

oohhh as soon as i thow something out...even if ive not used it for the past 50 yrs.....you can guarentee after a month or so.......it will be needed....or oh i know ive got just the thing for that....then recall its been thown out.
We still have tuff boxes filled with shite we probably will never need use or read and furniture that’s odd and too big for our wee cottage but it’s stuff that’s old and beautiful and couldn’t be replaced. We have a huge sideboard we haven’t really got room for buts it’s beautiful and over 300 years old (bits of it) but worth a scandalous 2or3 hundred quid.
A4E3D56B-DAE2-40B0-BA72-B28D526CCEF0.jpeg

I was making a mental note of furniture that I want to keep … nothing really of value apart from a coffee table that still has the indent marks made by my son with a wooden hammer when he was two he’s now 31 😂 now my grandson sits at the same coffee table doing his Lego.
Apart from that nothing at all apart from a picture of the moon that I bought for £3 at a boot sale, I couldn’t part with it if my life depended on it …
As for everything else - just absolute junk

We still have tuff boxes filled with shite we probably will never need use or read and furniture that’s odd and too big for our wee cottage but it’s stuff that’s old and beautiful and couldn’t be replaced. We have a huge sideboard we haven’t really got room for buts it’s beautiful and over 300 years old (bits of it) but worth a scandalous 2or3 hundred quid. View attachment 108466

Nice sideboard Cal and yes, it is scandalous that good quality furniture is worth so little these days. When I was at the auction we would sell 'brown' furniture for a pittance, most of it would be loaded in containers and shipped to the States or it would be shabby chic-ed. It used to break my heart seeing Georgian furniture sell for so little yet Habitat and Ikea furniture would sell for high prices. Even worse, Georgian silver tea sets would be melted down and sold for it's silver weight.

We have just bought a 1910-20 extending oak dining table with barley twist legs for £65 from an antique/vintage shop, the dealer would most likely have paid
£20-30 from auction - maybe less.
Decent furniture will make a comeback once the Ikea generation finally realise that their chipboard/melamine/mdf furniture will not withstand moving.

Doing the same Herbenny.

Went from a three bedroom to a six, then back to a three, then to a four, then to a three, then a two, now moving to a tiny two bedroom bungalow with open fields to two sides, a stream and a 'village' green in front. Released some equity so we can travel to NZ and Oz for six month stints each year or two years.
Been hard work and the current renovations have been exhausting making me realise it's a younger mans game and not for a 68 year old with heart and back problems!
Still, it's kept me on the straight and narrow.

Just!

P.S. The last move, we sold over 2000 items that we had collected over 40 years. De-cluttering was so liberating and has shown us that we don't need possession's.

Good luck for your future.
We bet you hung on to that mushroom sign..
A real family heirloom, there ?

Nice sideboard Cal and yes, it is scandalous that good quality furniture is worth so little these days. When I was at the auction we would sell 'brown' furniture for a pittance, most of it would be loaded in containers and shipped to the States or it would be shabby chic-ed. It used to break my heart seeing Georgian furniture sell for so little yet Habitat and Ikea furniture would sell for high prices. Even worse, Georgian silver tea sets would be melted down and sold for it's silver weight.

We have just bought a 1910-20 extending oak dining table with barley twist legs for £65 from an antique/vintage shop, the dealer would most likely have paid
£20-30 from auction - maybe less.
Decent furniture will make a comeback once the Ikea generation finally realise that their chipboard/melamine/mdf furniture will not withstand moving.
IMG_20220507_121446.jpg

Like these, Ral. ?
My grandparents bought them when he moved to manage the Scarborough Opera House, a century ago.
My parents wanted to paint them white and use them for garden furniture, 50 years ago.
We used them to furnish a new kitchen when extending the upstairs flat.
Then stored them for 5 years, before shipping them out to furnish the Hovel.
Probably cost us £ 200, overall.
Where else could we get such functional furniture, for that.?
And the memories?

View attachment 108481
Like these, Ral. ?
My grandparents bought them when he moved to manage the Scarborough Opera House, a century ago.
My parents wanted to paint them white and use them for garden furniture, 50 years ago.
We used them to furnish a new kitchen when extending the upstairs flat.
Then stored them for 5 years, before shipping them out to furnish the Hovel.
Probably cost us £ 200, overall.
Where else could we get such functional furniture, for that.?
And the memories?
Very nice Paul, looks like the wickerwork is in good order too! I like the photo of you and Jenny at the local jumble sale too.:whistle:;)

Very nice Paul, looks like the wickerwork is in good order too! I like the photo of you and Jenny at the local jumble sale too.:whistle:;)
Cheeky sod.. !
Jumble sale..?

That was taken at our wedding breakfast...!
Another family heirloom..
Checked it out ..
Print by EF Benson..
1920s version of that 60s print of the Asian Lady with the oddly coloured face..
It was worth nearly 34 Dollars, 10 years ago..

Hya Marie..
Is there nowt on telly?
Cheeky sod.. !
Jumble sale..?

That was taken at our wedding breakfast...!
Another family heirloom..
Checked it out ..
Print by EF Benson..
1920s version of that 60s print of the Asian Lady with the oddly coloured face..
It was worth nearly 34 Dollars, 10 years ago..

Very nice Paul, looks like the wickerwork is in good order too! I like the photo of you and Jenny at the loca
Yeah, Ral.. You truly haven't lost your expert's eye..
We had them recaned by a local, Yorkshire caner, who turned out to be the wife of telly star, Tim Piggot Smith.
She had needed a sideline, before he got famous.
I'm glad we didn't have to Google, to find a good caner, in those days
l jumble sale too.:whistle:;)

Yeah, Ral.. You truly haven't lost your expert's eye..
We had them recaned by a local, Yorkshire caner, who turned out to be the wife of telly star, Tim Piggot Smith.
She had needed a sideline, before he got famous.
I'm glad we didn't have to Google, to find a good caner, in those days

Thought you were old enough (and bad enough) to have experienced good caners at school, Paul :) ;)

Caning..?
Only ever got caught once.

Fair and square during Student Rag week .
Bunked off to join in the fun.
My picture was on the Yorkshire Post front page, that evening. I'd won the pickled onion eating race.
The Head let me stew for a week.. The whole school held it's breath.
The call came.
Dr Connel was very grave and we both agreed that I'd got away with an awful lot in 5 years. An example had to be made.
6 of the best.. on both hands. Palm uppermost.
Then back to take my mock GCE Technical exam ..I hated Tech drawing and most happy to drop it after getting 15%..
5 years later I was working with engineering Pattern Makers to drawings measured in Thou.

Meanwhile..
Back to the topic in hand.
De-clutterung.
Moving from 4 bedroom detached, with penthouse flat and working Nursery, into a 6 metre motorhome was a real learning curve
We're still getting rid of some of the " most vital " stuff..... 23 years later.
It's not school caning that Paul refers to Marie.

If you don't believe me, ask Miss Kandy Kane. ;)

Made a start on the shed … probably going to need two or three attempts as kept putting things back “in case” we need them but at least it’s a start …
Then we emptied our garage ..two tumble dryers one trampoline and two tatty old bikes gone !
I absolutely dread the loft as at last count we had four mattresses, three Christmas trees and probably over a hundred books up there …
And I thought I wasn’t a hoarder 😱

Attachments

• DD8654BE-AB8F-4EA9-8A10-C9B637914379.jpeg
    DD8654BE-AB8F-4EA9-8A10-C9B637914379.jpeg
    719.7 KB · Views: 51
It helped us to a)have a skip and b) know someone who would distribute anything useful to various charities. Also used Wastesavers group on Facebook to give things away. Loft is now done as we slide like a slow and graceful galleon towards the house sale and freedom to travel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back