Help please, can i get some advise feedback from you please

Lucky when I built mine a d shape on each top side to where I installed all wires in a tube including reverse cam, if you have a space you could train a small mouse to pull the cable through. 😂

bit different on a coachbuilt though.

As you found out fitting a reversing camera is very easy to do only a few connections unless you want it automatic when you select reverse, the hardest part is routing the cabling out of sight.

This is where Wireless cameras (which work perfectly well!) are such a benefit on a ready-built van (y)

On my VW T5, I went for a Wired camera before the build out so I could use it on the Pioneer 'infotainment' system - and because of the hassle of both initial wiring and subsequent potential repairs (always but always think how something can be maintained once fitted!), I bought a top-end Pioneer camera rather than a cheap one at 1/10th the price (but even though a top spec camera, nowhere near £240!!)
The labour cost and hassle of a repair would be much more than the cost of a decent camera to start with :)

Most I paid was £36 of eBay with 10 foot of wire, I did consider a wireless one but figured they too would need to have a supply at each end any so all I'd save was the back to front cable, so I would survey the van first and apart from one van it was easy enough to do, and the hard one I bought some matching D link half round trunking and it was almost invisible, got a video of it I think on YT.

1680879776053.png

As you found out fitting a reversing camera is very easy to do only a few connections unless you want it automatic when you select reverse, the hardest part is routing the cabling out of sight.
The initial problem was Pilote. The cable they used had a micro 6 pin round connector on both ends and I could not find a match to make a patch lead. Dealer quoted some astronomic fee for a camera but could not work out how to connect it to an Alpine head unit. Now days they are cheap as chips. Cutting the cable would have invalidated the warrantee but it was ok for an idiot with a vat receipt printer to do it. I have been involved in electrics and electronics for the last 40 years so no my way round basic wiring 🙂

My ignorant advice would be also see if he turns up for his next job with you. If not then put in writing what you expect and by when asking to see receipts as you see neccessary. If he ignores you or does not complete by the time specified accept defeat and take him to the small claims court if that is appropriate. Citizens advice is a good route to go for advice on legalities. No more cash up front either for goods or work to be done. Good luck. Having been the recipient of a rogue builder years ago I feel your pain

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back