Hawick Common Haugh Car Park.

Possibly this should be highlighted, some folk don’t realise theres an issue here.
But generally speaking Elsan points in rural areas are all connected to sceptic tanks. But unless you know for certain that an Elsan point is connected to a sewerage system, you should never empty grey water into it,

I would expect that one to be as its in the middle of a small town I believe but I Reckon most of the CL sites we tend to stay on are on tanks. Probably 80% of them as they are generally fields out in the sticks. On the large CL at Flamborough on the Yorkshire coast which also has a rally site and a few seasonal pitches around the rally field which to be fair is not always in use on a long stay Ive seen their two tanks emptied twice over a month or two. The regulars know not to put grey waste down though.

I might be showing complete ignorance here, but if it's not connected to the mains sewerage, wouldn't it be normal to have some sort of information sign on the elsan point telling everyone that's the case?

Either way, I think it's a question that needs to be asked and clarified for everyone's sake!

Obviously people are going to put their grey waste down it, unless there's signage to advise them otherwise? 🤷‍♀️

I might be showing complete ignorance here, but if it's not connected to the mains sewerage, wouldn't it be normal to have some sort of information sign on the elsan point telling everyone that's the case?

Either way, I think it's a question that needs to be asked and clarified for everyone's sake!

Obviously people are going to put their grey waste down it, unless there's signage to advise them otherwise? 🤷‍♀️

Good point although I can honestly say I've never put grey water down an Elsan point ever. The drive over drains they have in France are by far the best solution but of course they will be on mains sewers or maybe just storm drains.

Good point although I can honestly say I've never put grey water down an Elsan point ever. The drive over drains they have in France are by far the best solution but of course they will be on mains sewers or maybe just storm drains.

Yeah, but this isn't France, or mainland Europe, this is the UK where the introduction of any public aire-type facilities is still in its infancy - and still leaves a lot to be desired before it catches up with the continent (if it ever does, which I seriously doubt).

If they haven't provided "drive over drains" I'll bet my bottom dollar some people will use the elsan to dispose of their grey water. They might think they're doing the right thing; better than dumping it on the road and being criticised for doing so? Damned if you do, damned if you don't 🤷‍♀️ :cool:

As an aside, I remember one summer day, had an early start and went through Hawick town centre on my way to Carlisle. It was around 8AM or so and the streets were thronged with people, most of them had pint glasses and were boozing away. 8AM!

Hmm, I thought. I must have missed the Motorhomer.com ralley notice :D

Stayed overnight a couple of years ago.
Went into town for a meal and a pint and got chatting to the landlord.

I said it was great to have free overnight camping, he said it was great to have campers who responded by spending in the town, and the first round was on the house.

Yeah, but this isn't France, or mainland Europe, this is the UK where the introduction of any public aire-type facilities is still in its infancy - and still leaves a lot to be desired before it catches up with the continent (if it ever does, which I seriously doubt).

If they haven't provided "drive over drains" I'll bet my bottom dollar some people will use the elsan to dispose of their grey water. They might think they're doing the right thing; better than dumping it on the road and being criticised for doing so? Damned if you do, damned if you don't 🤷‍♀️ :cool:
IIRC, the Grey Water disposal at Hawick [when the fresh water tap was at the front of the Car Park during the building of the flood defences, and when the 'Elsan' was a discreet transport of the cassette in a shopping bag or similar into the Toilet for the Disabled [with the tacit approval of the Council Tourism Manager] was into a car park drain grille about 30 metres in from the Car Park boundary. It worked well, and, because everyone was on best behaviour in the first 'Informal Gathering', as the COVID restrictions were being lifted, there was almost 100% adherence to the Rules. After all, we were being allowed out and given Special Permission to stay for 4 nights, Free of Charge ...

Steve

As an aside, I remember one summer day, had an early start and went through Hawick town centre on my way to Carlisle. It was around 8AM or so and the streets were thronged with people, most of them had pint glasses and were boozing away. 8AM!

If it was the Friday that would be the snuff in

This sounds like the Common Riding season - big event in many Borders towns and Hawick is one of the larger events.

This sounds like the Common Riding season - big event in many Borders towns and Hawick is one of the larger events.
You need to remember that they use the carpark to set the fair up during common riding week, don't they also have a market stall once a month.

awww, you spoilt my little joke :)

Yes indeed, it was on the day of the Hawick Rideout, which is why the streets were thronged so early (y)

The fresh water tap is still there on the outside near the road. If you look carefully at the elsan point sign, it points to the fresh water tap! The elsan is fed into a tank, I was there once when it was being emptied, it took quite a while so I assume it is quite a sizeable tank. (Big John Deere tractor with big pump out tank). Thankfully I wasn't gassed😁. In the summer months we!come hosts are employed who roam the town we!coming visitors and giving out information leaflets, and I have enjoyed some good blethers with them. Hawick is indeed a friendly place and we must in return appreciate and look after this facility.👍

The fresh water tap is still there on the outside near the road. If you look carefully at the elsan point sign, it points to the fresh water tap! The elsan is fed into a tank, I was there once when it was being emptied, it took quite a while so I assume it is quite a sizeable tank. (Big John Deere tractor with big pump out tank). Thankfully I wasn't gassed😁. In the summer months we!come hosts are employed who roam the town we!coming visitors and giving out information leaflets, and I have enjoyed some good blethers with them. Hawick is indeed a friendly place and we must in return appreciate and look after this facility.👍
Then this means the cost of installing the elsan point would be much more expensive than simply connecting to a sewerage system. Then we have costs of emptying the sceptic tank also. When you compare what Hawick have done with others it really puts them to shame. Instead of spending money as Hawick have done putting in facilities, they spend money putting up barriers. Thanks for the information.

Then this means the cost of installing the elsan point would be much more expensive than simply connecting to a sewerage system. Then we have costs of emptying the sceptic tank also. When you compare what Hawick have done with others it really puts them to shame. Instead of spending money as Hawick have done putting in facilities, they spend money putting up barriers. Thanks for the information.
Not really, Bill. If the existing toilets are on a septic tank, the cost of the Elsan is just the emptying point, pipework and connection. I was at the originL 'informal Gathering' in 2021, and was told by the Tourism Manager that the cost related only to the 'hooking up to the eisting pipework'. There was a Councillor on the Leisure Services Committee [Committee name?] who was very 'anti elsan' and wanted the scheme dropped, hence the Gathering Organiser & Tourism Manager working together to bring evidence of the financial benefits of installing the elsan [there was talk of a £5 per stay charge to M/Homers for the fresh water and Elsan usage, but it never materialised] to counter the anti-elsan Councillor's submission to the Leisure Services Committee

Steve

Not really, Bill. If the existing toilets are on a septic tank, the cost of the Elsan is just the emptying point, pipework and connection. I was at the originL 'informal Gathering' in 2021, and was told by the Tourism Manager that the cost related only to the 'hooking up to the eisting pipework'. There was a Councillor on the Leisure Services Committee [Committee name?] who was very 'anti elsan' and wanted the scheme dropped, hence the Gathering Organiser & Tourism Manager working together to bring evidence of the financial benefits of installing the elsan [there was talk of a £5 per stay charge to M/Homers for the fresh water and Elsan usage, but it never materialised] to counter the anti-elsan Councillor's submission to the Leisure Services Committee

Steve
Sorry Steve I did not know there were originally toilets there. The elsan point is about 150 yards away from the existing toilets that were closed when we were there, cheers.

A septic tank doesn’t need emptying because of the volume of liquid going in, because once treated it should flow into another compartment and then to a soak away or a reed bed or similar. A cesspit, and these aren’t common in Scotland, on the other hand, has a finite capacity and needs emptying before it overflows.

We’ve been on septic tanks in various homes for decades and they need emptying when the sludge builds up. All household grey water flows to the septic tank, but rainwater does not and goes to its own soakaways.

Septic tanks and cesspit/cesspool are often confused. A septic tank treats the effluent, a cesspit simply stores it to be emptied and treated elsewhere.

Just stopped in Hawick.This is a better location than previously. It is at the far end of the car park. The service point is very good.
Short walk into town over the foot bridge.
Thanks to the local council for providing this facility

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back