Hawick Common Haugh Car Park.

Fisherman

Sometimes in life you witness something that gives you hope for the future, something that in todays world is rare, and something that just has to be admired and applauded.
We are just back from Hawick, and spent a night in their large Common Haugh carpark. Towards the far end they have allocated an area which could easily accommodate 20-30 vans. They have even installed an elsin point, with a fresh water tap. But sadly the tap has a small hose attached used to flush out your cassette after emptying. They really should have installed a separate tap. But the mere fact that a council in a Scottish Borders town has went to all this bother, and expense on our behalf, in an area where Borders council have banned all overnight camping in all of their carparks is quite frankly amazing. And this council are not a council who have seen a chance to make a fast buck by providing nout but a parking space for £10 a night, no it’s FREE, yep free.
There’s a sign when you enter asking you politely not to stay more than 48 hours, but I was assured by a council worker they don’t enforce this request. They have been running the facility for three years, and they have had hardly any issues whatsoever.
Hawick is a lovely wee Scottish toon, with a vibrant high street, and lovely walks along the river Teviot and its tributary Slitrig water. There are shops aplenty, and loads of places you can get a coffee. The local Wetherspoons does a traditional Scottish breakfast for £4.99.
Is it not strange that whereas other councils reckon that we are the route of all evil, Hawick have managed to operate this facility free of charge with hardly any issues, seems that it is possible to allow overnight parking without problems, but you have to have the right attitude to do so, and the good folk of Hawick have that attitude.

IMG_7087.jpeg
IMG_7088.jpeg
IMG_7083.jpeg
IMG_7079.jpeg

I posted on another Forum [and also on Motorhomer Forum, IIRC] about the enthusiasm of the Tourism Manager for The Borders Council. On the first 'Informal Gatherin' as we emerged from COVID, she greeted every one of the 40+ motorhomes who arrived during the 3 days; and we all compiled our receipts for the spend by the Motorhomers to show that there would be a net benefit to Hawick in return for the investment in the Elsan and fresh water provision costs. IIRC, we spent between £4000-£4500 in Wetherspoons, LIDL, a range of local shops and cafes etc in May 2021

Steve

I posted on another Forum [and also on Motorhomer Forum, IIRC] about the enthusiasm of the Tourism Manager for The Borders Council. On the first 'Informal Gatherin' as we emerged from COVID, she greeted every one of the 40+ motorhomes who arrived during the 3 days; and we all compiled our receipts for the spend by the Motorhomers to show that there would be a net benefit to Hawick in return for the investment in the Elsan and fresh water provision costs. IIRC, we spent between £4000-£4500 in Wetherspoons, LIDL, a range of local shops and cafes etc in May 2021

Steve
I just hope that we don’t spoil this place, give it the respect both it and those who run it the fullest respect. This place has to be cherished, that amongst all the negativity, bloody mindedness, arrogance, and utter stupidity this place counters all of that. I just wonder what reaction certain other councils would give when witnessing what’s been done here. L&B could and should take a leaf out of Hawick’s book.

<snip> They have even installed an elsin point, with a fresh water tap. But sadly the tap has a small hose attached used to flush out your cassette after emptying. They really should have installed a separate tap. <snip>
Do they no longer have the fresh water tap on the far side of the Elsan disposal point, facing the road? Means having a very long hose, using containers, or parking up on the road, the latter not being ideal. I assume that there is still no facility for disposing of grey?
IMG_20220720_102102992 crop.jpg

Last edited:
Do they no longer have the fresh water tap on the far side of the Elsan disposal point, facing the road? Means having a very long hose, using containers, or parking up on the road, the latter not being ideal. I assume that there is still no facility for disposing of grey?
Did not notice that tap, thanks for that.
No grey water disposal available.

Last edited:
Do they no longer have the fresh water tap on the far side of the Elsan disposal point, facing the road? Means having a very long hose, using containers, or parking up on the road, the latter not being ideal. I assume that there is still no facility for disposing of grey?View attachment 127977
Yea used it last year and there was a separate drinking water tap

Genuine question - if you carry a bucket or a disposal tank thingy, I take it there's no reason you couldn't put grey water down an Elsan drain?
That would depend if they were using a septic tank or not.
But I would think with its location in the town centre it would be connected to the local sewerage system. If that is the case then I could see no reason why not.

If it takes the shitty stuff will it not take the showery stuff?
I would suggest finding out if they use a sceptic tank before emptying your showery stuff into their chemical waste point. If they use a sceptic tank then all you are doing as Rob says is increasing the amount of times it has to be emptied, and if you do this knowingly you will be costing a council who have bent over backwards for us.

I think it's more of a case of filling the tank with water if they have to pay to get it emptied?

Only guessing though.
I think it's more of a case of filling the tank with water if they have to pay to get it emptied?

Only guessing though.
Didn't think of that . Was more puzzled as to why grey waste would be a problem to the function of the tank .

Didn't think of that . Was more puzzled as to why grey waste would be a problem to the function of the tank .

I think its a couple of hundred quid to empty a sceptic tank, probably more if its a bigun! Chucking loads of water down it and even worse several rinses will soon fill one if everyone is doing it.

I think its a couple of hundred quid to empty a sceptic tank, probably more if its a bigun! Chucking loads of water down it and even worse several rinses will soon fill one if everyone is doing it.
Possibly this should be highlighted, some folk don’t realise theres an issue here.
But generally speaking Elsan points in rural areas are all connected to sceptic tanks. But unless you know for certain that an Elsan point is connected to a sewerage system, you should never empty grey water into it,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back