Have I been done?

campertwo

Guys, just had the mot done, passed fine & charged the normal £54.85. Asked for the oil to be changed also & the bill came in at £147 labour!!!!! Plus parts another £50. Hour & a half to change oil & filter????
Done by a truck servicing place coz they got huge bays to get the van into. So £226 for mot & oil change. Do these prices seem right to you?

WHAT!!!! I think I would be having words with them, ask for an itemized bill, and then ask them to justify it.:mad2:

I have the itemised bill from them. £147 labour (includes mot) , £50 for oil & filter plus the deaded vat! Although I was given the remains of the second 4L oil container. Yippee! Still totals £226 tho!!

Including VAT. I don't think thats too bad. Not cheap but don't think you've been done.

Guys, just had the mot done, passed fine & charged the normal £54.85. Asked for the oil to be changed also & the bill came in at £147 labour!!!!! Plus parts another £50. Hour & a half to change oil & filter????
Done by a truck servicing place coz they got huge bays to get the van into. So £226 for mot & oil change. Do these prices seem right to you?

That would have cost me £30.00 for MOT (Special offer at my garage) I do my own Oil, oil filter and air filter change myself. The old oil goes into the new oil container, then taken to the dump at a later date.
If the parts are for oil and filters, then your bill should be roughly £ 80 plus the 1 1/2 hrs labour charge. I think you should query your bill.

I still can't see an oil & filter change taking one & half hours tho? Must have included his lunch hour I guess?:rolleyes2:

Hi campertwo,

I have used this company from 2009 when my van was new = Commercial Truck and van dealer Stormont in Dunstable and last June on a full Fiat Ducato service and Mot it cost £369 .17 with the Mot and vat.=
Labour £127.50
Oil £51.45
Cons £3.75
Enviro £3.50
Oil filter £14.04
Filtering element £35.86
Wiper Blades £25.83

Mot £54.85

Vat £52 .39

I used to do all my own servicing,but after laying under cars and vans for the last 45 years I think it's time to leave it to the Garage.

Regards Snowbirds.:wave::sad:

Rip off imho.
Being newish my Fiat Euro 5 Based C class had its first service at the main dealer last November, £210.00 including the vat.
This included the oil and filter change and whatever else they do in the service which on a modern vehicle will be bugger all apart from visual inspections and plugging it into the diagnostic terminal.

:scared::scared: I would be telling them to take the oil out at the cost .......
Complete rip off....... this why I have no trust in the majority of garages only because of some bad experiences.

I have now found a local one who have been great by no means the cheapest but he explains everything and gives us a complete breakdown of cost and even allows me to haggle a little .......

Seriously though I think you have been way over charged :sad:

if they used synt oil price is about right but min lab should be 1 hour or as its called here min bench charge.

That would have cost me £30.00 for MOT (Special offer at my garage) I do my own Oil, oil filter and air filter change myself. The old oil goes into the new oil container, then taken to the dump at a later date.
If the parts are for oil and filters, then your bill should be roughly £ 80 plus the 1 1/2 hrs labour charge. I think you should query your bill.

90 mins labour could be a little on the high side but would be about £150 +vat at a main dealer.

At least you have a price to compare when you next need the service & MOT.

We used the main dealer while it was under the 3 year warranty and then asked around for a local small truck and van workshop.

They are rough and ready, greasy handed but as honest as you'll get in the motor trade.

Oil + Filter price seems reasonable, Did they had some sort of snag. Filter difficult to remove sump plug rounded ? You really need to ask them to explain the labour charge don't forget that a oil change includes taking vehicle in and out of workshop disposing of waste oil cleaning up afterwards so 1hr isn't unreasonable

Seems very steep.

MOT should be circa £54 from memory.
Interim service (40+ point check, top ups and oil & filter change) is usually £90ish

Just had my oil & filter changed on my Citroen relay plus related checks & fluid top ups if required

£99 inc vat and that's at a Citroen dealer

An MoT charge includes the Labour. So their labour charge should not charge for it again?

It seems a little on the high side to me. Are you capable of doing the oil change yourself ? It really is quite easy to do.

If so the oil will be 2 X 4 litre ( 10W40 ) at approx £15 each when bought on offer and the filter will be approx £10 when bought on offer.

You will have some oil left for top ups or when you`ve done 3 changes you will only need to buy 1 X 4 litre for the 4th one.

Shame you didn't ask for a quote before instructing work to be done?
My old company would charge £45 for the MOT and £55 for labour for short service +oils and oil and fuel filters!

Hi witzend,

I think its a Fuel filter by looking at other sites,I will ask in June at the next service,

Snowbirds.

Bill seems OK but
Whats this Filtering element £35.86 ? I've looked on Euro car parts and none of the filters come any where near to half this price

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back