Harrogate Stray Parking

CarlandHels

Got to Harrogate late on Sunday night so pulled up on Coach Rd as I have done for over 5 years on and off..

The wife works in town so it's ideal for her to go to work from there Monday morning. Now this is quite a long straight rd and loads of cars, vans and campers use it all the time and have done for as long as I can remember.

Well today was no different, full of cars etc but yet I was the only one who got this notice. I have now written to the guy from the council to ask him to give me a reason that only I got this notice and why they are making me feel like we are being discriminated against. After all I was waiting for the wife to finish work. The most annoying thing is that I had only just re parked up there as I had gone away and come back and managed to get into the same place.

When the guy put the notice on I was just out of eyeshot of him walking the dog and waiting for the Mrs to return from work..

So I would maybe cross this place off the poi's if I was you..YouTube Dashcam got them..

This is interesting.

The Act of Parliament referred to on the notice does permit removal of vehicles from The Stray which don't have authority to be there. However the bye-laws referred to in the Act explicitly state that vehicles are permitted on carriageways which clearly includes Coach Road.

The clear meaning of the Act when read in conjunction with the bye-laws is to prevent vehicles accessing the grassed areas which comprise the vast majority of The Stray.

I suspect strongly that this notice has no weight assuming you were parked on the road and were not encroaching on the verge.

This web page reinforces this observation:

The Stray, Harrogate | The Stray, Harrogate | Harrogate Borough Council

It states, interestingly, that motorhomes may not park overnight on The Stray but I can't find anything online in terms of a Traffic Regulation Order or bye-law to enforce this statement.

If you speak to the Council officer perhaps you might ask ...

There's a letter in the local paper which makes interesting reading:

Letter: Why have 1985 Stray Act when it’s not fit for purpose? - Harrogate Advertiser

Thanks Chris, yes I was on the road and in no way touching the grass nor was I causing any obstruction... This isn't over by any means yet... Thanks again.

The position of your van in relation to the yellow lines has clearly changed from one section of the video to the next where they place the notice.

This to me is clear evidence that the van has moved and returned at some point in between.

Fight it all the way.

The position of your van in relation to the yellow lines has clearly changed from one section of the video to the next where they place the notice.

This to me is clear evidence that the van has moved and returned at some point in between.

Fight it all the way.

Yep exactly.. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I will keep you all informed on replies from the council. Might even get in touch with the papers too. Total discrimination if you ask me...

Got to Harrogate late on Sunday night so pulled up on Coach Rd as I have done for over 5 years on and off..

The wife works in town so it's ideal for her to go to work from there Monday morning. Now this is quite a long straight rd and loads of cars, vans and campers use it all the time and have done for as long as I can remember.

Well today was no different, full of cars etc but yet I was the only one who got this notice. I have now written to the guy from the council to ask him to give me a reason that only I got this notice and why they are making me feel like we are being discriminated against. After all I was waiting for the wife to finish work. The most annoying thing is that I had only just re parked up there as I had gone away and come back and managed to get into the same place.

When the guy put the notice on I was just out of eyeshot of him walking the dog and waiting for the Mrs to return from work..

So I would maybe cross this place off the poi's if I was you..YouTube Dashcam got them..

Interesting the guy (council employee ?) has driven there specifically to put the notice on your van . It wasn't just a random warden etc .
Were there any other motorhomes nearby ?

Interesting the guy (council employee ?) has driven there specifically to put the notice on your van . It wasn't just a random warden etc .

It looks to me that the busybody couple who took the photo' earlier on probably reported the van to the council and they acted on a complaint?

There were campervan and normal vans plus loads of cars all parked along the same road. Now my argument is that the notice says parking, so every vehicle should of got one of these.. I spoke to two traffic wardens and they just laughed saying that I wasn't breaking any laws as far as they could see.

It looks to me that the busybody couple who took the photo' earlier on probably reported the van to the council and they acted on a complaint?

Yes that's my thoughts. I just wish that I had got out and asked them why they were taking the photos, but I thought they were taking pics of the church..

Yes that's my thoughts. I just wish that I had got out and asked them why they were taking the photos, but I thought they were taking pics of the church..

Possible scenario , council receive complaint , act on it , end of story ?

Possible scenario , council receive complaint , act on it , end of story ?

I think you are right it seems that way,

Another thing I find unusual is the notice is in letter format manually completed, with no carbon style copy . I would normally expect nowadays the council man to take a couple of additional photos with the notice attached to the vehicle this proves the notice served and photo proof of any allegation to support their case should it reach a court,

It seems reacting to an allegation than active parking control on Harrogate councils part

Until recently I was visiting regularly a home in Harrogate adjacent to the Granby Hotel which I would imagine falls under the Stray Act. Looking at the amount of vehicles parked at any given time of day the council are either raising a fortune in revenue OR turning a blind eye

Channa

I think you are right it seems that way,

Another thing I find unusual is the notice is in letter format manually completed, with no carbon style copy . I would normally expect nowadays the council man to take a couple of additional photos with the notice attached to the vehicle this proves the notice served and photo proof of any allegation to support their case should it reach a court,

It seems reacting to an allegation than active parking control on Harrogate councils part

Until recently I was visiting regularly a home in Harrogate adjacent to the Granby Hotel which I would imagine falls under the Stray Act. Looking at the amount of vehicles parked at any given time of day the council are either raising a fortune in revenue OR turning a blind eye

Channa

Yes. It seems more than unusual. Can you be sure it came from the council? A guy, not wearing any ID driving his own (?) car putting a letter on your windscreen. Given a computer and scanner anyone could make up such a letter. If he was carrying out parking duties on behalf of the council he must be in uniform The Civil Enforcement Officers (Wearing of Uniforms) (England) Regulations 2007 though possibly that must be if he is actually issuing a PCN rather than a threat. I'd be inclined to insist that he was carrying out the duities of a CEO.

I think that at the very least the council should be asked for an explanation.

There and again...
Do you want to risk local vigilante/s damaging your home and joy.. ?
If you don't return..he/ they've won.. Until another MH. Parks there.

I'd go back and lie in wait for him....WITH MY CAMERA READY.!

There and again...
Do you want to risk local vigilante/s damaging your home and joy.. ?
If you don't return..he/ they've won.. Until another MH. Parks there.

I'd go back and lie in wait for him....WITH MY CAMERA READY.!

We've already got his picture.

Yes. It seems more than unusual. Can you be sure it came from the council? A guy, not wearing any ID driving his own (?) car putting a letter on your windscreen. Given a computer and scanner anyone could make up such a letter. If he was carrying out parking duties on behalf of the council he must be in uniform The Civil Enforcement Officers (Wearing of Uniforms) (England) Regulations 2007 though possibly that must be if he is actually issuing a PCN rather than a threat. I'd be inclined to insist that he was carrying out the duities of a CEO.

I think that at the very least the council should be asked for an explanation.

An additional thought albeit the dash cam only shows one view, where is the signage informing of restrictions and by law ? Whilst the act of parliament and by laws may have 100 % legitimacy there does seem an absence of signage which would make any prosecution questionable.

The notion Yorkshire couples van was the only vehicle given a warning is questionable and I see of no relevance if the allegation does have substance then the offence is complete in simple terms the fact other vehicles weren't ticketed would make no legal difference and the argument of discrimination would hold no sway.

The issue know is whether to park there again . It could well be the council are more happy that they have appeased a complainant thast the end of it ...there is a risk stick your napper too high above the parapet the law is on their side and they do start looking for reasons to actively ticket people

Another thought, did they ticket you down to the weight of your van ? But then again there should be adequate signage to tell you that.

Following this thread with interest

Channa

An additional thought albeit the dash cam only shows one view, where is the signage informing of restrictions and by law ? Whilst the act of parliament and by laws may have 100 % legitimacy there does seem an absence of signage which would make any prosecution questionable.

The notion Yorkshire couples van was the only vehicle given a warning is questionable and I see of no relevance if the allegation does have substance then the offence is complete in simple terms the fact other vehicles weren't ticketed would make no legal difference and the argument of discrimination would hold no sway.

The issue know is whether to park there again . It could well be the council are more happy that they have appeased a complainant thast the end of it ...there is a risk stick your napper too high above the parapet the law is on their side and they do start looking for reasons to actively ticket people

Another thought, did they ticket you down to the weight of your van ? But then again there should be adequate signage to tell you that.

Following this thread with interest

Channa

Stopped overnight there in June , don't remember any signage . Restricted parking in nearby streets with signage . I assume Coach Road is outwith boundaries of legitimate controlled parking areas .

Stopped overnight there in June , don't remember any signage . Restricted parking in nearby streets with signage . I assume Coach Road is outwith boundaries of legitimate controlled parking areas .

You spend more time in Yorkshire than I do :scared:

Moved my Dad to a village outside Selby so I wont be returning to Harrogate now , Bar a visit to the football ground

Channa

You spend more time in Yorkshire than I do :scared:

Moved my Dad to a village outside Selby so I wont be returning to Harrogate now , Bar a visit to the football ground

Channa

It's because I'm as tight as a gnat's chuff . I enjoy rubbing shoulders with like minded people .
Oh , and the beer is cheap

I have parked up twice & stayed overnight where the smart arse sorry car had pulled up outside the church last year so it may be something new.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back