Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system

Hmmmm, easier with a genny lol
Noooooo! 😧

It maybe wasn't such a daft idea my thoughts about using the Honda Biff Chariot scooter for power though. It's just sat there next to the van. I bet it has the same engine as one of those Honda 20i Gennies! 😁

Michelle uses the inverter for her laptop as I've never found a 12v charger for it. It only adds about a 10w overhead. I agree with you though.

Looks like the battery has died again over night. Won't even power up the inverter to charge phones so I have had to switch to the cab battery for that in the hope that if the sun comes out later it will charge both.

I don't like doing this so I think we are going to have to move and find hookup for now. Probably tomorrow. Michelle isn't going to like that. I won't either as I love this CL but this is crackers.

That would probably do it. Now it's out of warranty I may get one although it's not going to make much difference.
It will provide a backup method of charging, we camp differently to most so 90% of our charging is done on the move including mains charging of laptops, tablets and even the vacuum and scooter batteries.

Looks like the battery has died again over night. Won't even power up the inverter to charge phones so I have had to switch to the cab battery for that in the hope that if the sun comes out later it will charge both.

I don't like doing this so I think we are going to have to move and find hookup for now. Probably tomorrow. Michelle isn't going to like that. I won't either as I love this CL but this is crackers.
Well at least you are more aware of it's capacity, I think the charging/solar side is at best adequate and the battery is the weak link for now, so hopefully you can get that sorted at vanbitz or wherever you mentioned, I'm lost in all the posts :) :)

Last edited:
Well I've now spoken at length to Nick at VanBitz. Very helpful and knowledgeable. However he thinks we might just need possibly an additional panel a new MPPT controller and a lead carbon battery rather than lithium. The other issue is time scales. Due to a cancellation they have a slot next week where they can do a panel and lead Carbon but if I want Lithium it's a much longer install and they can't do it until the end of August / September.

At first I thought well this is a backward step but maybe it's not. Presumably in the future if we do move to lithium everything they install bar the battery is still useful? Anyway it is what it is and I can't wait until September. I certainly don't want to start ringing round other suppliers and going through it all again either.

I'm going to just have to be guided and go with whatever they can fit next Wednesday.

Well I've now spoken at length to Nick at VanBitz. Very helpful and knowledgeable. However he thinks we might just need possibly an additional panel a new MPPT controller and a lead carbon battery rather than lithium. The other issue is time scales. Due to a cancellation they have a slot next week where they can do a panel and lead Carbon but if I want Lithium it's a much longer install and they can't do it until the end of August / September.

At first I thought well this is a backward step but maybe it's not. Presumably in the future if we do move to lithium everything they install bar the battery is still useful? Anyway it is what it is and I can't wait until September. I certainly don't want to start ringing round other suppliers and going through it all again either.

I'm going to just have to be guided and go with whatever they can fit next Wednesday.
I'd go with one OR pair of the biggest lead carbons that will fit and a Victron mppt and get on with enjoying your holiday ...

Bother about lithium later

Cheeper
type c charger.jpg

I'd go with one OR pair of the biggest lead carbons that will fit and a Victron mppt and get on with enjoying your holiday ...

Bother about lithium later
I think that's all we can do. The costs are still pretty eye watering. Not far off the Lithium prices but without all the extra bits needed for the Swift and Sargent electrics.

Sounds to me like lead Carbon are very similar to lithium anyway as according to Nick you have 90% power usage whereas standard lead acid is about 50%. Heavy though I guess.

Sounds like I have three options.

2 x 85 ah the most expensive option. Almost £1000 fully installed, battery master as well etc.

1 x 100ah £536 as above. He reckons this will be enough for us given our usage.

1 x 130ah £670 however this one will not allow us to put the cover on and would require a modified battery cover we would have to sort ourselves and Michelle is using that space for storage.

On top of that probably another victron solar panel and MPPT controller.

I'm going to have to drive up there on Wednesday morning to so they can have a proper look so they can determine what can fit on the roof.

My thoughts are to fit the two 85s but I'm willing to be persuaded that a single 100ah will be enough given the extra solar.

I would be inclined as you want to go Lithium to go for a decent starter battery, 100/110ah use that for this trip then put it in the garage keep it topped up or fit it as a starter when you fit the lithium then it's not wasted money and you know the history of it, keep the old one at home topped up with a small panel or Ctek.

I would be inclined as you want to go Lithium to go for a decent starter battery, 100/110ah use that for this trip then put it in the garage keep it topped up or fit it as a starter when you fit the lithium then it's not wasted money and you know the history of it, keep the old one at home topped up with a small panel or Ctek.
Nah I don't like the sound of that. I'm not happy messing with and using the cab battery. I just want it done and for it all to work. Sounds like I've found a reputable company who can do that.

Easy to make a cover for the battery once home.

lay a sheet of plastic over where the batteries live, tape the edges down, make a cardboard wall around it and get some fibreglass sheet and resin kit, use rolled-up newspaper to act as stiffeners, let it go off and trim it to fit, job done easy peasy and cheap.

I know you won't do it, but maybe you know someone who can.

I had Hybrid (starter/leisure) batteries on one of my boats Kev and they served me very well.

I would be interested in opinions as to which option to go for. I really wanted enough power to never have to worry again which to be fair we kind of had on the old van with just a single 120agm and a single 100w panel between April and September but on dull days I would be stingy on power usage.

Outside those times I go looking for hookup anyway.

I just can't get my head round a single 100ah lead carbon being enough. 2 x 85s will of course weigh more which hopefully won't be a concern but it was one advantage of lithium.

Back