Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system

Looks like it's working, much better if you can leave the Calor as backup and fill up as and when, plenty of apps.

Yeah of course but as I said if your in a field miles from an LPG station for a month your stuffed. All you can do is wait until there is about two litres left then switch to Calor. If that runs out before you leave, switch back to Gaslow and hopefully you will have enough until you can get a calor exchange either that day or the next.

So last night I plugged in the little voltage tester around 11:15pm after an evening of TV and laptop usage which included the humongous dish on the roof getting it's knickers in a twist finding Vauxhall Astra for about 15 minutes. 😁

Reading was 12.5v

I would have expected our old van to be 12.6 when fully charged after not much use but not bad. What I wanted to know though was if the apparent parasitic draw Julian and I found on the Sargent system was going to drag it down overnight. The dish and sat controller are also left up and switched on. At 7am it's still reading 12.5v so that's promising.

By 8:15 it had risen to 12.6v so already charging.

Jury is well and truly out for now but will see how it goes. I've had a quote from Off-grid Solutions in Wantage so I'll post that shortly.

So this is what Off Grid Solutions are proposing. That battery is a tight fit but they say they have fitted them before in a swift battery box slightly altering the box at the top I think so can still use it as storage.

I assume this incorporates my current panel but have asked for clarification.

What do you think?

I might add this is an Estimate.

FOGSTAR DRIFT 12V 280AH LITHIUM LEISURE BATTERY
£799.99
Victron Energy Orion XS 12/12-50A DC-DC Battery Charger
£299.00
Victron Energy BlueSolar Monocrystalline Panels
£210.00
(£105.00 ea.) × 2
Solar Panel 140W-12V Mono 1250x668x30mm
Solar panel brackets
£80.00
(£40.00 ea.) × 2
PV Logic Aero Aluminium Brackets (Silver)
Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Charge Controller
£82.00
MPPT 100/20
Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 Charger (Bluetooth)
£128.00
12/20(1) 230V UK
Van Bitz Battery Master
£69.95
Labour
£900.00
(£60.00 ea.) × 15
Fitting solar panels - 6hrs
Fitting DC/DC - 5hrs
Fitting battery - 2hrs
Fitting mains charger - 2hrs
Consumables
£150.00
(£50.00 ea.) × 3
Sikaflex, heat shrink, lugs, isolators, fuses, fuse holders, cable ties, conduit, etc..
Subtotal
£2,718.94
VAT included
£453.16
Total
£2,718.94

So this is what Off Grid Solutions are proposing. That battery is a tight fit but they say they have fitted them before in a swift battery box slightly altering the box at the top I think so can still use it as storage.

What do you think?

£799.99
£299.00
£210.00
(£105.00 ea.) × 2
Solar panel brackets
£80.00
(£40.00 ea.) × 2
£82.00
MPPT 100/20
£128.00
12/20(1) 230V UK
Van Bitz Battery Master
£69.95
Labour
£900.00
(£60.00 ea.) × 15
Fitting DC/DC - 5hrs
Fitting battery - 2hrs
Consumables
£150.00
(£50.00 ea.) × 3
Sikaflex, heat shrink, lugs, isolators, fuses, fuse holders, cable ties, conduit, etc..
Subtotal
£2,718.94
VAT included
£453.16
Total
£2,718.94
Ouch lol

What do you think?

£799.99
£299.00
£210.00
(£105.00 ea.) × 2
Solar panel brackets
£80.00
(£40.00 ea.) × 2
£82.00
MPPT 100/20
£128.00
12/20(1) 230V UK
Van Bitz Battery Master
£69.95
Labour
£900.00
(£60.00 ea.) × 15
Fitting DC/DC - 5hrs
Fitting battery - 2hrs
Consumables
£150.00
(£50.00 ea.) × 3
Subtotal
£2,718.94
VAT included
£453.16
Total
£2,718.94

Looks very similar to what I want Barry.

Yeah it's expensive but I doubt you would ever have to worry about being off grid again. I'd say go for it!

Hells bells, I'd not even think about it at that price not my decision of course.

I would go LA or LC 2 x 120ah ish, maybe pop another 100/120w panel on the roof, upgrade to a decent MPPT controller and leave it at that, maybe add a B2B if the controller doesn't do that job.

Your storage comment confuses me though, the batteries may be slightly taller an inch or two but there should still be plenty of space for other stuff in there under the seat (assuming it's in the lounge) you could buy one of those plastic totes to use as a cover and cut it to suit, make a ply cover etc

I am as ever always keen to keep stuff as simple as possible so should one component go tits up there is a chance it can be mended or replaced, even more important should it happen where you don't speak the lingo.

Last edited:
Prices always seem high to me but that’s because I never buy stuff lol

I got a local quote when I bought my van 6 years ago and back then if was just over £900 for I think 250W solar, solar controller and cable fittings etc. that’s a good bit less kit than in Barry’s quote and way prices have shot up since we left EU and Covid it may be decent price for you rich folks.

Don’t we have a discount set up with them as well?

I'm looking at 2kw minimum Kev.
Down to what you need to run Rob, we have nothing but chargers nowadays, I can load enough onto my 10" tablet (ditto Liz) to last six weeks so no need for TV, took the microwave out, no hairdryer etc.

That’s setup isn’t for a low power user Barry

No such thing a a low power useage 50 amps min now a day Summer we cut back in winter .10amps just to charge 2 phones and upto. 15amps if you have tablets !

£900 for a days work nice , what are the gauntee and warranty like ?

St3v3 got that 240v charger for sale. You just plug it in. You can fit that yourself. If they fit bus bars near battery

Not my choice, but it will be done and thead complete. Lol

Down to what you need to run Rob, we have nothing but chargers nowadays, I can load enough onto my 10" tablet (ditto Liz) to last six weeks so no need for TV, took the microwave out, no hairdryer etc.

Yeah we're looking at taking an Air Fryer Kev and we already take a Remoska for when we're on EHU. We might even go all electric eventually and put the Air Fryer where the oven is now and have a 2 ring ceramic hob above.

Ideally we would like to be able to be completely off grid for 3 or 4 days without giving a second thought to batteries.

I'll get a discount off another forum if there isn't one for this one.

Kev. Your solution is old school but still involved pretty much a good deal of the work involved in that quote. A massive chunk of money is in the Labour so it would be best to get best and pay a bit more.

Nabs. You are correct. It's way over the top for a low power user. However, I'm sick of wondering if we dare use laptops for long if it's a cloudy day or Michelle getting pissed off because shes run her laptop dead up front etc. plus I want to park in a wild spot or CL in October when everyone is sitting in the dark and light up the van like Blackpool illuminations. 🤣

The other thing to consider is we might keep this van at least a decade and some.

Rob. No plans to install a proper inverter. At this stage. Can't see why we would need one. Plug an amp into it maybe? 🤔 😎

I haven't mentioned the price to Michelle yet. 😳

Old shool just works and is easy to figure out you don't need to be a sparky to know what you need, that's why it is still very much in use.

Rob. No plans to install a proper inverter. At this stage. Can't see why we would need one. Plug an amp into it maybe? 🤔 😎

I haven't mentioned the price to Michelle yet. 😳

I was thinking more along the lines of a Microwave or that sort of thing Barry. But if you don't need one it's just another drain on the power.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Microwave or that sort of thing Barry. But if you don't need one it's just another drain on the power.

This van does have a fitted microwave Rob. Oh how I laughed and pointed at how stupid it was when we got it. Who needs one of them in a motorhome? Until we were on hookup for six days and realised how convenient it was for heating up yesterdays Chinese etc without making too much washing up! That said, I can live without it.

Julian (@yeoblade) wired his whole van with an inverter so all the sockets worked and microwaves etc and he is doing it on a solar array and 2 x 110 or 120 lead acids I think. Right now Im not bothered about any of that but down the line you never know.

The thing to think about with us is the length of time we can stay put in one place. It seems a shame to have spent the price of a crap house oooop Norf and have all the best systems in place without the icing on the cake and perhaps the most important. Endless power!!! POWER!!!! GIVE ME POWER!! Mwahahahaaaa! :cool:

Of course the problem now is if the new battery and fixes work we installed two days ago Michelle will just say "Right! We dont need all that then" Ferk. :(

This van does have a fitted microwave Rob. Oh how I laughed and pointed at how stupid it was when we got it. Who needs one of them in a motorhome? Until we were on hookup for six days and realised how convenient it was for heating up yesterdays Chinese etc without making too much washing up! That said, I can live without it.

Julian (@yeoblade) wired his whole van with an inverter so all the sockets worked and microwaves etc and he is doing it on a solar array and 2 x 110 or 120 lead acids I think. Right now Im not bothered about any of that but down the line you never know.

The thing to think about with us is the length of time we can stay put in one place. It seems a shame to have spent the price of a crap house oooop Norf and have all the best systems in place without the icing on the cake and perhaps the most important. Endless power!!! POWER!!!! GIVE ME POWER!! Mwahahahaaaa! :cool:

Of course the problem now is if the new battery and fixes work we installed two days ago Michelle will just say "Right! We dont need all that then" Ferk. :(

Always pays to have more than enough than less than enough, and if you do want to add further 240V stuff in the future, the capacity is already there.

But if the new battery is working you've got plenty of leeway and you can postpone the upgrade indefinitely. Who knows, the price of the Lithiums and the Victron gear may come down more. I suspect the Lithiums will as the market is now getting some quite cheap ones as we have seen recently and companies like Fogstar etc. will have to compete with them.

Back