Halfords - MOT Free!

So if it fails for a so called major dangerous fault and the garage cant fix it , you should call a recovery company to remove the vehicle ..

Last edited:
So if it fails for a so called major fault and the garage cant fix it , you should call a recovery company to remove the vehicle ..
A "Major" defect in the MOT is a very broad brush (remember ANY fail is a "MAJOR" defect at least)

Examples .... brake pad warning light comes on as you are down to last few mm of pad. That usually means a few thousand miles of driving left. Is that brake pad WARNING light a MAJOR FAULT? it is in the MOT world now (even though most cars don't even have a warning light and could have less pad left). Before the changes in the MOT this was not a fail and I don't think even an advisory. Dids it overnight become a life-threatening fault?

Engine Check Light comes on ... "MAJOR DEFECT" even though that is not a safety item and can come on for any random reason. Go over a speed bump and wheel jitters can cause a momentary ABS warning which can then light that light. quick reset with a £20 reader corrects. Garages will ask your for £100 to plug their "diaqnostic machine" (same £20 reader initially) in.

Sorry, but anyone who slavishly sees a "major defect" and just tells the garage to fix is asking to be ripped off.

Last edited:
As I understand a fail with a major dangerous defect the vehicle cannot legally be driven home.

Last edited:
As I understand a fail with a major dangerous defect the vehicle cannot legally be driven home.

there is no such thing as a "major dangerous defect" !!

there is a " major defect" and there is a "dangerous defect" - they are NOT the same.

My previous company car got booked in for a service and they stripped the brakes out and said I couldn’t have it back until new were fitted . Only done 20000 and they wouldn’t show me the old ones . Needless to say the manager of that particular Halfords no longer works there . Lying , thieving con men.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back