Halfords - MOT Free!

I've used them for the past couple of MOTs, booking online to select the cheapest slots which are at quite surprising times. Pricing depends on demand but was £30 below the standard rate. It passed with no advisories and no suggestion of the need for extra work. I was impressed 😃

But if it fails the previous MOT is no longer valid.

Not necessarily true, you're allowed minor faults. That's the whole idea of the 13 month MOT, you can continue driving while you get odd things fixed.

From .gov

Driving a vehicle that’s failed​

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT

I think that’s more driving it away from the test centre to somewhere it can be fixed and then driving it back to the test centre. Not sure it’s legal to keep driving around as normal after a fail, I have always thought it wasn’t anyway.

Not necessarily true, you're allowed minor faults. That's the whole idea of the 13 month MOT, you can continue driving while you get odd things fixed.

From .gov

Driving a vehicle that’s failed​

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
What he says.

Current MOT rules (from 2018?) now have the following categories

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories)​

Repair immediately (major defects)​

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects)​

Anything that causes an MOT fail is a "major defect" at least, but the MOT is not 'cancelled' unless you have a "dangerous defect" and you can drive the vehicle just as normal (although you could be committing an offence by driving an 'unroadworthy' vehicle? that is a different standard)
Case in point ...my car last month
MOT due on 30th March. Took it in on 19th March and the poor mite failed :(

1618223838483.png

I drove away, fixed the brakes at home and took it back to get retested on the 29th March and it passed.
1618223810640.png

and the expiry date of the MOT is over a year later and is the anniversary of the last expiry, not a year from the test.

1618223949468.png

It depends what. Our recently failed on a CV Rubber. The clip was not there and that was as classed a major fault
Personally, I would have said it was not major but get it done quick!
I didn't really matter as I would have it done asap anyway!

The thinking is if you got a stone in there it could lock up the joint.

I think that’s more driving it away from the test centre to somewhere it can be fixed and then driving it back to the test centre. Not sure it’s legal to keep driving around as normal after a fail, I have always thought it wasn’t anyway.

If that were the case it would say so ;)

The thinking is if you got a stone in there it could lock up the joint.

If that were the case it would say so ;)
I think you need to be careful/more specific with this sort of advice.
If you fail an mot when it’s due and it not classified as dangerous defects then you can drive it to a place of repair and back to booked mot. Nothing else.
If you go for an early mot before it’s due and it fails but not classified as dangerous defects you can drive it BUT you may be liable for prosecution for knowingly driving a vehicle with defects 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back