Habitation check

My manual (Lunar) also states that an annual habitation check is a condition of the warranty, so I have reluctantly confided with its terms. However as next year it will be out of warranty I will not be having it done again after then.
This years habitation check £140 included the washing of my M/H just 18 hours after I had washed polished and buffed it to showroom condition and when I said don't bother just knock it off the price, I was told its all part of the package:confused: You can buy a damp tester and do that bit yourself. The only important thing to get done every couple of years is the boiler jets cleaned or renewed and the burners of all other gas appliances but this is not part of the Habitation check, just a check on the flame integrity...... all blue with a small yellow tip........ can you do that yourself:rolleyes:
Fortunatly yes I can do it myself as I am a corgi registered plumber and heating engineer:D:D,the only reason it's going back to the dealers is because of the three year warranty.

John.

QUOTE=*****;45216]Not quite sure, but I understand that the self builders have to get this done before they can get insurance[/QUOTE]

What is sometimes asked for is an engineers report and that is a totally different thing. The usual arbiters of what constitutes a Motor Caravan* are the insurance companies - The DVLA can ask to examine the vehicle if you are converting a panel van It is pretty rare but does happen occasionally. They have their own ideas so there is no common standard
It seems to me that these "habitation" checks are just a means of dealers and/or manufacturers ripping more money from the owners.

*that is what all our vehicles are called subject to it being altered by the EU consultation that is happening now.
The new termsmay be as follows:-

from My Way, Autumn 2008
Legally, motorhomes do not quite fit into the law on cars or those of heavier vehicles, but lie somewhere in between. So what is a ‘motorhome’? or ‘motorcaravan’, or ‘living van’, ‘leisure vehicle’, or ’campervan’ for that matter? There is not even one agreed description in ‘English’ for it!

Legally, part of the problem is that there are slightly different definitions in various aspects of UK law – not even taking into account the European picture. There is some pressure now to fix what we mean in law, via Euro-harmonisation – and not before time.
At present, about the most workable definition is a European one, now incorporated into a British Standard for ‘Leisure Accommodation Vehicles’. These are “self-propelled leisure accommodation vehicles that meet requirements for construction and use of road vehicles” and which contain “at least seats, table, sleeping accommodation which can be converted from the seats, cooking and storage facilities”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have never come across a habitation check for a self build, not needed. Insurance companies for new self builds are now very stringent and ask for photographs of the completed vehicle including specific points such as bed, clothing storage fixed table etc, and a photo of completed vehicle showing registration number. Also a copy of all reciepts to do with the conversion. DVLA are now following suit, for the first time I have also been asked for photos and receipts, plus written breakdown of conversion work before they will change the class of vehicle on registration docs.

Who polices this? Who checks? Is this an insurance issue?
no one but you

Things have changed a lot recentley, never had all this red tape before. What I can gather is if you have just completed a self build project, then you have to prove to the insurer that it is not just a van with a mattress in the back. Hence providing photos and one containing the reg of the vehicle. In this particular case (depending on what company insures you), they have asked for all receipts. This is to work out how much the vehicle is to be insured for, = cost of base vehicle plus cost of conversion materials. Aparantley the cost of all the man hours doesnt come into it.
DVLA have also become super strict and now either ask for an engineers report or photos and receipts. The photos I can understand again to prove the modification has taken place but why they want receipts also has got me a bit miffed. In general it is becoming more difficult to convert a vehicle and then try to get it insured. Most companies will not touch a self build with a barge pole. Sorry cant answer about the policing querie aint got a clue.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back