Habitation check

minxa

Hi Guys,

Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to this motorhome stuff, can anyone explain what a habitation check is please? :confused:

I've always thought its a rip off for what they charge, but if you dont get it done your conversion warranty will be void.

The only part of the check that is worthwhile is the gas pipework check and a damp check, the rest of it is padded out with checking lights, windows, and other simple stuff that you just as easily do yourself.
And for this they will charge you anything from £130 to £250.

So it only applies to conversions then???

I think the habitation check applies especially to the conversions (The van was previously a panel van) in order to inform the DVLA of change of use and for insurance purposes, and I think the check would mainly involve electric/gas and ventilation issues. With purpose built motorhomes from new this test would be compulsory, I would think;)

I can understand a check when the thing is built, but a yearly check? Do you have any links to information on this? I have never heard of such a thing.

Some brands add it as a sort of subscription; saying it is compulsory for the waranty (which is not).
They come in with sophisticated instruments to check the moisture, the gas- and water system .... Everything you can do yourself and safe yourself quite a lot of money. :eek:

habitation service.

i bought a rollerteam 600g from new,it comes with a 4 year dampness warranty.
the service booklet states that it has to have a habitation service every year.
and there are pages in the service book to be stamped by the servicing dealer.
i suppose if anything goes wrong with the water itegrity of the van, and i needed to claim the service book would need to be stamped and up to date.
live long and prosper:eek::)

Thanks underseige, I think that's what I was asking but not so eloquently

So I don't need to worry about it with my 1990 Burstner, I'm not likely to encounter problems with the insurance company in the event of a claim??

So I don't need to worry about it with my 1990 Burstner, I'm not likely to encounter problems with the insurance company in the event of a claim??
Not at all Minxma,
You are way out of any warranty. Only check your van yourself for moisture and leaks and DIY if there are problems coming up.
Have a good time

There is much confusion over the annual habitation service or check for motorhomes, with widely varying prices and standards of work. However a 'standard checklist' is used by many dealers when carrying out this work, and by all members of the NCC Approved Workshop Scheme, but it seems that many owners are not aware of this, or of what checks should be included.

The checks do not cover most parts of the base vehicle, it must be serviced in accordance with the chassis manufacturer's instructions.

Download the NCC Motorhome Habitation Annual Service Schedule (1 Mb PDF file) http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/images/Approved Workshop Motorhome Service Schedule.pdf

In our case a yearly habitation check is required to comply with the 5yr water ingress warranty!

There is a GREAT deal of difference in prices, from £45 for just a damp check, to £99 by a Chausson main dealer for a FULL check, to £265 for the same check by another Chausson dealer!!! (Who forgot to stamp and post off the coupon for last years check!!)

Unless you have a gas or water leak or electrical problem then I don't see the need especially if out of warranty! I've owned 3 m/h's and 4 caravan and have NEVER had this done before, but having spent £30k on a brand new m/h then £99 +vat is a small price to pay to keep within the terms of the g/tee!!

You can get a habitation check done at home by Mark from CLS. He does many dealers work & travels all over th country, & dosn't charge the earth to do it.

If you wish to contact him 02476971346

Keith

I have had my 1st habitation check to day, (9months old) at supplying dealers, £20 + vat, Im well chuffed with price.

John.

Hi Trikerman, can you let us know which dealer you used please. :confused: I imagine this info would be of enormous help, for anybody living near to them! :D :D :D Or even passing by on holiday. :cool: :cool: JIM!!

The dealer who supplied our motorhome was Malcolms motor homes, in Stoke on Trent, with our motorhome only being 9 months old, he only gave it a damp check.

John.

The dealer who supplied our motorhome was Malcolms motor homes, in Stoke on Trent, with our motorhome only being 9 months old, he only gave it a damp check.

John.

Malcolm used to work for Lazydays he sold me my first MH nice chap I believe he is a CI agent:D

Malcolm used to work for Lazydays he sold me my first MH nice chap I believe he is a CI agent:D
Your right cipro about Malcolm he's a real nice chap also he's the ci agent as you say. I first dealt with Malcolm 2 1/2 years ago I brought a Auto Sleepers Gatcolmb on a VW t4 chassis from him, We had it for 2 years and when I went to see him this year for a new Trigano 650 he gave me such an offer for the auto sleeper I couldn't believe it all that we lost in depreciation was £2000, so he had our 05 auto sleeper and £3000 and we had a brand new vehicle. I will definatly keep with him if we ever decide to replace the Trigano Tribute 650.

John.

My manual (Lunar) also states that an annual habitation check is a condition of the warranty, so I have reluctantly confided with its terms. However as next year it will be out of warranty I will not be having it done again after then.
This years habitation check £140 included the washing of my M/H just 18 hours after I had washed polished and buffed it to showroom condition and when I said don't bother just knock it off the price, I was told its all part of the package:confused: You can buy a damp tester and do that bit yourself. The only important thing to get done every couple of years is the boiler jets cleaned or renewed and the burners of all other gas appliances but this is not part of the Habitation check, just a check on the flame integrity...... all blue with a small yellow tip........ can you do that yourself:rolleyes:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back