Great news on the Burntisland car park

Yes I read that part, and also wondered what was meant exactly myself.

First of all Robbie was not saying that staying in a Motorhome overnight was illegal.
This would in effect end all that he has achieved and worked hard for over the past years. He by definition would be encouraging us all to carry out an illegal act by promoting something if it was defined as illegal. He was referring to “habitation”,
and how this could be defined in law. And as I am no lawyer I leave such matters to others qualified in such jargon.

But this car park was subject to some long stayers. One van last year spent several weeks before moving from the car park. I think this is what Robbie meant by using the term habitation. Someone who inhabits an area could be subject to council tax, and water rates in Scotland. This is where I think he is coming from.
People in static caravans are subject to council tax and water rates. When you stay in a campsite the owners have to pay the local council, and this charge is part of the fees we pay. Hence why he mentions the transient nature of what we do.
In Scotland we pay our council tax and water rates as one integral payment, and your water rates are determined by your council tax band.

Once this carpark is set up by Fife country and coastal trust, there will be a maximum stay of two nights applied.

If you wish to contact Robbie for clarification, I have included his contact details.
But I can assure you Robbie has never done or stated anything that would require to be taken exception of towards us, exactly the opposite. He has worked tirelessly on our behalf, and on behalf of FCCT.
I think he is referring to the fact that trespass is now a criminal offence, anyone setting up an illegal encampment and not moving when asked or returning to it would be committing a criminal act. Of course it then comes to what’s the difference of someone stopping one night and the first night of any long stayers? You won’t know they are long stayers until a passage of time. There are criteria that need to be met if anyone missed it it can be found here

Police Crime and Sentencing Bill 2022

I think he is referring to the fact that trespass is now a criminal offence, anyone setting up an illegal encampment and not moving when asked or returning to it would be committing a criminal act. Of course it then comes to what’s the difference of someone stopping one night and the first night of any long stayers? You won’t know they are long stayers until a passage of time. There are criteria that need to be met if anyone missed it it can be found here

Police Crime and Sentencing Bill 2022
Thanks for the input, but this act does not apply in Scotland.
This is a devolved issue, and Scotland does not fall within the jurisdiction of this law. However some provisions do apply. But the section dealing with the travelling community, does not.
Scotland with its land reform act would be unlikely to apply such a draconian law.

Heres an open letter from the Scottish government on this issue.

1 July 2022

Dear community

UK Government Legislation – Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022

I wanted to reach out to the Gypsy/Traveller community in Scotland about a recent law coming into effect in England and Wales.

I know many of you will be concerned about what this law means and the negative attitude it portrays towards Gypsy/Travellers.

I want to be clear, this law does not apply to Scotland. We want Scotland to be a safe, happy and welcoming place for all Gypsy/Travellers.

Our ‘Improving Lives for Gypsy/Travellers’ Action Plan seeks to improve outcomes across all aspects of society including, accommodation, health, education and social security.

We continue to work closely with the community, COSLA and others to achieve positive outcomes and reduce inequalities.

I give you my reassurance and commitment that the Scottish Government supports our Gypsy/Traveller communities and strongly condemns any measures that stifles and harms the community’s culture and way of life.

Yours sincerely,

Christina McKelvie

View this document
Open letter to the Gypsy/Traveller community in Scotland

Last edited:
This is a devolved issue, and Scotland does not fall within the jurisdiction of this law. However some provisions do apply. But the section dealing with the travelling community, does not.
Scotland with its land reform act would be unlikely to apply such a draconian law.

1 July 2022

Dear community

I wanted to reach out to the Gypsy/Traveller community in Scotland about a recent law coming into effect in England and Wales.

I know many of you will be concerned about what this law means and the negative attitude it portrays towards Gypsy/Travellers.

I want to be clear, this law does not apply to Scotland. We want Scotland to be a safe, happy and welcoming place for all Gypsy/Travellers.

Our ‘Improving Lives for Gypsy/Travellers’ Action Plan seeks to improve outcomes across all aspects of society including, accommodation, health, education and social security.

We continue to work closely with the community, COSLA and others to achieve positive outcomes and reduce inequalities.

I give you my reassurance and commitment that the Scottish Government supports our Gypsy/Traveller communities and strongly condemns any measures that stifles and harms the community’s culture and way of life.

Yours sincerely,

Christina McKelvie

View this document
I probably knew that last year and since forgot it so good to see that.

Not sure what was being referred to then if you don’t have the illegal encampment stuff

I probably knew that last year and since forgot it so good to see that.

Not sure what was being referred to then if you don’t have the illegal encampment stuff
Possibly, like yourself , got it wrong re law in Scotland?
Other interesting stuff there about allowing waste (black) into the sea .
Perhaps it is less polluting than the run off from farmers fields . Probably not to be encouraged?
Yes and where do the showmen dump their sheeit ?

1 July 2022

Dear community

Yours sincerely,

Christina McKelvie

View this document
You live in such a civilised country (previous posts included)
Is there an emoji for envy?!

Possibly, like yourself , got it wrong re law in Scotland?
Other interesting stuff there about allowing waste (black) into the sea .
Perhaps it is less polluting than the run off from farmers fields . Probably not to be encouraged?
Yes and where do the showmen dump their sheeit ?
This is how Robbie tries to educate councillors.
Emptying toilet cassettes into the sea is completely wrong, but mainly due to how it is perceived, and not in relation to any damage it does. When you compare a few cassettes against what sewerage companies are doing, it’s the proverbial drop in the ocean. Robbie also argues that the best way to avoid this is not to stop us from parking, but to provide as many elsan points as possible. He plans that eventually every car park were possible will have toilet facilities 24hrs, elsan points, and fresh water.

Last edited:
CAMpRA are not just trying to get overnight parking but also to get more service points. Many on here donated to the service point fund. You would not believe how difficult it has been to get places to put in service points even when we offer to subsidise the installation.
Its great that Robbie is working to get so many waste points in Fife.
If you know anywhere that might be able to put in a service point even where there is no chance of parking look on www.campra.org.uk to order leaflets you can give to owners.
20231018_204431.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back