Great but very hot few days at the Drove (first wild camp)

My mate (Silver van in the pic) and myself went to the festival in 1983 so we thought we would go down memory lane with a visit. To be honest it was too hot to do anything, let alone visit the actual stones but there was a steady stream of visitors all day long and into the evening so they must do quite well at that frankly over the top price for entry.

As posted by Nabsim the cost for visiting was supposed to be 1s which equates to about £4 now. I think English Heritage excuse for the higher charge is that it covers parking and access across land purchased subsequently.
We visited back in the 70s when you could walk amongst the stones for the basic admission charge, the parking and access route back them was pretty dreadful.

Took the Nic there years ago. I have photographic evidence.
She looks cold and incredibly bored.

I am a NT member Melissa but I didn't know that you could get into the visitor centre at Stonehenge free with this!

I'm a bit loath to use it though as I believe that Stonehenge was donated to English Heritage on the proviso that they never charged for visiting the stones. I could be wrong though?
I believe it was on the proviso that they did not charge locals and I was led to believe by a local that they do not have to pay but where the boundary line is from being local or not has probably blurred with time.

one of my favourite pics taken at the stones.

9FC690AC-F6DA-4448-9A5D-88E4BE14AD0D.jpeg

I'm afraid I have little time for organisations like national trust/english heritage....

I've seen too many occasions of places that were free/token payment in a honesty box turned into cash cows with access only at high cost and stainless handrails and everywhere bedraggled with information boards hiding the actual place....
And sadly a lot of folks not able to afford to visit.

The above organisations are IMHO sadly little better than politicians in terms of 'snouts in the trough'.

Last edited:
Sorry, don't agree. They may not be perfect but have done much to preserve many sites.
I'm afraid I have little time for organisations like national trust/english heritage....

I've seen too many occasions of places that were free/token payment in a honesty box turned into cash cows with access only at high cost and stainless handrails and everywhere bedraggled with information boards hiding the actual place....
And sadly a lot of folks not able to afford to visit.

The above organisations are IMHO sadly little better than politicians in terms of 'snouts in the trough'.
Sorry, don't agree. They may not be perfect but have done much to preserve sites that might otherwise have been lost or degraded.

Sorry, don't agree. They may not be perfect but have done much to preserve many sites.

Sorry, don't agree. They may not be perfect but have done much to preserve sites that might otherwise have been lost or degraded.
And you are most welcome to your own opinion....

As am I....

Seen the similar thing with British waterways (NOW rebranded as the Canal and River TRUST)
Trust sounds very charitable doesn't it....

Truth is a lot of these organisations rely on folks good will....
AND slightly gullabe nature to spend a lot of money.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back